Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,320 users have contributed to 42,292 threads and 255,048 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Really sounds great.  Sounds like the real thing.  I'll need to hear a demo with the other "perspectives" to seal the deal for me as that's what I would be using most often.  This demo sounds like the "distant" setting, correct?  If you could post the same Etude with the "close" and "player" perspective, that would help a lot.  

Thanks,

j

• Amazing to me:  this piano (the etude) sounds NOTHING like the first demo you posted earlier in the thread.  Is it just the different perspective that's making it sound different?  

•  Right, it's the distant mike position.

Jay has sent me now also a close mike rendering, I'll add this version to the Download Tutorial.

best

Herb

• Great, looking forward to hearing that version.

• last edited
    last edited

@jaysplace101_29469 said:

Amazing to me:  this piano (the etude) sounds NOTHING like the first demo you posted earlier in the thread.  Is it just the different perspective that's making it sound different?  

Right, the three different mike setups offer three different piano sounds each with an unique charcteristic.

And of course also the different reverbs offer a different sound.

best

Herb

•  Thanks Guy.   I have loved, played and studied the piano off and on my whole life.  I have even played this Scriabin piece on a real piano in real time for my very forgiving wife and cats.  But alas my pianistic skills is the real world remain rather meager.   This virtual performance owes a debt to one of my favorite pianists of all time-- Vladimir Horowitz.   I tried to capture some of his style, his wonderful sense of rhythmic freedom, his sensitivity to the balancing of voices and his amazing variety of tonal colors.   Of course there is no substitute for the real genius of Horowitz.   But I enjoyed trying to get as close as I could.

Herb,  I don't know if it would be possible to make the close-microphone version a separate link or button.  This might make it easier for people to find.  Just a thought.

Finally, I want to say that this new Vienna Imperial Piano is an amazing instrument and a quantum leap improvement over VSL's previously excellent piano sampling projects.   Definitely worth serious consideration!

Best,

Jay

• Jay, superb work.  You have a wonderful sense of this piece.  I've played it myself and I'm very fond of your interpretation here.  Excellent job.

• Okay, now we're REALLY talking!  The close miked rendering sounds amazing to me.... much more suitable for the kind of work I do.  Wow.  You should definitely provide a separate "open" button for this rendering.  I wasn't thoroughly impressed until I heard this.

• Wonderful!  Great job Jay, and of course, great job VSL!  This is really stunning so far.  Look forward to more demos.

Herb, the closed miked version is clipping for some reason.  There is distortion in several spots.  Not sure if someone can verify that they are experiencing the same thing.  Perhaps it happened during the rendering.

O

• i´m afraid it´s too late now, since i guess the boesendorfer ceus is no longer standing in the silent hall with all those microphones set up. if i´m wrong about that, please consider my thoughts.

i would have found it VERY interesting to listen to a live performance on this wonderful grand (i had the pleasure to work with it on a film project) classically recorded to tape via the microphones you used when sampling, and then have the midi data transferred from ceus to a pc or mac and then listen to the same performance played back with vienna imperial. this would give a very exact impression on how realistic vienna imperial reacts to live playing. 

it is very hard to judge a sampled piano with just demos alone. demos sound good, that´s what they are made for. the crucial part of sampled pianos is how they react to your playing - and thus how they interact with your playing, for you don´t only play with your fingers, but also with your ears. i currently use garritan steinway (master keyboard is a yamaha yus-5 piano), and the sound is beautiful, but it does not do what i feel it should do when i play. this could be an issue of velocity curves, and the importance of this issue might be reduced with the mere number of sampled velocities. 

so even if boesendorfer ceus has already been wrapped and delivered home, it still might be interesting to compare a live performance to a vienna imperial-playback using the midi data created with ceus. 

• last edited
    last edited

@clemenshaas said:

it still might be interesting to compare a live performance to a vienna imperial-playback using the midi data created with ceus. 

we can arrange that, just send us the midi file created during the ceus session - i'll eat my hat if it doesn't sound exactly the same (depending on microphone position of course)

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • What´s the sqeeking high pitched sound that appears in both versions in several places?

For instance in the close miced version at 0:30 and 1:26 and 2:04.

It´s like a very high E or something more to the left.

Almost sounds like feedback.

Peer

• Sympathetic vibration - (Herb's champagne glasses) [:)]

Julian

• Ha ha!

I´m sure it is!

Because the actual sound is fantastic.

But is the high noice really supposed to be in there?

It really sounds like something that doesn´t belong.

Peer

• It does just sound like a natural resonance. In any situation where there is vibration happening  certain structures particularly piano strings themselves (even with the dampers in contact) will pick it up.

If you had the Vienna Imperial to hand you could probably isolate the source note or notes.

On many of the pianos I've recorded I've come across particular extraneous noises sometmes they can be damped sometimes you just live with them.

Julian

• Thanks for your answer.

Unfotunately i belive it´s way to prominent to be used in a solopiece like this.

I´ve recorded so many pianos over the years and never had a resonance be this loud.

Probably ok for a production with more instruments, but not as is.

Too bad because the piano sounds so freakn great otherwise!

Well that´s just my 2 cents anyway....

Thanks for your time.

Peer

• What is the ideal midi keyboard for Vienna Imperial? I'm not sure if mine is good enough for expressive purposes.

• last edited
    last edited

@JSAntares said:

What is the ideal midi keyboard for Vienna Imperial? I'm not sure if mine is good enough for expressive purposes.

CEUS?  😛

•  I have a Fatar Studiologic, a Roland 700 and a Clavia Nord stage and the three all reacts differently to the Special Edition Piano.

A friend of mine who is a classical concertist use a Casio Previa.

So many keyboards, so many different actions.

It would be important if  in the engine of the new Vienna Imperial we could find a sort of keyboard-meter to measure our MIDI-keyboards responses and to use all the 100 different piano nuances.

• the ideal master keyboard will most probably be vienna grand, once it´s available... next to ceus himself, of course.

nothing compares to a real grand piano mechanic.

next best thing would be a yamaha (owner of boesendorfer) silent grand or piano, which i use (yus-5). this is quite good (fantastic key surface), although when turning it "silent", one painfully misses the string reaction.