Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,498 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,820 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

the speed limitation is more often how quick the server can stream the data

yeah, so if every user could gather real 30 Mbit we would need to restrict Vienna Imperial download purchases to 3 every 120 minutes to not affect the regular traffic 😉 ... that's ok ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

the speed limitation is more often how quick the server can stream the data

yeah, so if every user could gather real 30 Mbit we would need to restrict Vienna Imperial download purchases to 3 every 120 minutes to not affect the regular traffic 😉 ... that's ok ...

christian

mmmn 13,000 plus a year not bad for the profit margins!! 

Julian

• It depends on how your broadband is charged. Some ISPs (e.g. in the UK) give you a limit of xx GB per month, after which you get charged extra or they limit your line speed. My account includes 20GB, after which I get charged £1 per GB, so 25GB would cost me £5 assuming I didn't do anything else on the internet that month. In reality, I tend to use pretty close to my allowance, so I'd really be looking at a cost of £25 to download!

• last edited
    last edited

Our developement team is just finalizing our upcoming Vienna Imperial.

Everybody here in Vienna who had the chance to play with our new piano was extremly impressed.

So I'd like to share a small live performed demo by Christian Kardeis.

http://vsl.co.at/users/111/1st_demo_ViennaImperial.mp3

Here you also have screenshots of our Vienna Imperial interface,

• Wow, very exciting.  Is this demo with any additional reverb?  Also, which position is it (close, player or distant)?

Any additional EQ used on this piece?

• I think it's out of the box using internal reverb and EQs, and I think it's the close position.

Maybe Christian chimes in and gives more detailed informations.

best

Herb

• Now there's a piano sound!  [Y]

So if this is feasible to market, how about one special string lib such as leg violins with 100 velocities? [8-|]

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

So if this is feasible to market, how about one special string lib such as leg violins with 100 velocities?

The reason why the Vienna Imperial is possible is, iirc, that there exists a piano that can be actuated by a computer with very high precision, otherwise it would not be possible to record 100 distinguished layers. To do this with a violin, you have to find a way to achieve something similar. I never heard of a computer actuated violin...

• Regarding the Demo: really nice dynamics :) Is there soft pedal involved?

I have some questions now that the Imperial finalizes:

• What latency can I expect with a decent Computer? What is the lowest latency you observed without clicks and pops? My soundcard can go as low as 48 samples @96kHz, and Ivory is able to handle it flawlessly. Can I expect likewise?
    • Will the damper pedal be continous, i.e. is there something like 'half pedal' or 'quarter pedal'?
    • And one more philosophical question: Is the MIDI-velocity really sufficient to define the sound? Is there really no way to control the tonal quality through the way this specific velocity is being achieved? Now that you have the technical possibilities to capture these nuances, it would be really interesting to bring this to digital pianos. Of course MIDI would not be able anymore to transport this and a new generation of keyboards would be necessary. I'm really interested what the future will bring :-)

• last edited
    last edited

@arne said:

To do this with a violin, you have to find a way to achieve something similar.

I'm sure that won't be long. [:)]

• Excellent! I'm ready to order now....

estimated ship date?

• +1

wow

• last edited
    last edited

@arne said:

I'm sure that won't be long.

I think that it won't be possible to do with a violin until sample modelling improves a great deal. The Garritan Strad was a good idea, but sounded dreadful.

The other thing to remember is that in order to "play" such an instrument well you not only have to be a good performer, but you also need to understand a lot about why professional players sound the way they do. Even with our current sample libraries, there are far too many things that either can't be done, or take for ever and a day to make sound half bad. Unless people know how and why things are played the way they are in the real world, the best sampled or modelled instruments in the world will still sound lame in comparison with the real thing.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@arne said:

I'm sure that won't be long.

I think that it won't be possible to do with a violin until sample modelling improves a great deal. The Garritan Strad was a good idea, but sounded dreadful.

The other thing to remember is that in order to "play" such an instrument well you not only have to be a good performer, but you also need to understand a lot about why professional players sound the way they do. Even with our current sample libraries, there are far too many things that either can't be done, or take for ever and a day to make sound half bad. Unless people know how and why things are played the way they are in the real world, the best sampled or modelled instruments in the world will still sound lame in comparison with the real thing.

DG

I know nothing about the technicality of these things, you've got me there. But what I've noticed over the years in just about any field, people often said: "This can't be done" or "it will take a long, long time before this can be done" and explain technically why. And then before not too long someone has thought of a new way of doing this and that changes everything and before you know it it's being marketed. So that was basically my point.

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

I know nothing about the technicality of these things, you've got me there. But what I've noticed over the years in just about any field, people often said: "This can't be done" or "it will take a long, long time before this can be done" and explain technically why. And then before not too long someone has thought of a new way of doing this and that changes everything and before you know it it's being marketed. So that was basically my point.

Guy, I certainly agree with you in principal. I don't doubt that there will be a very good way to do all this stuff. What I doubt is the ability of many people to get good results. You are a very good performer, so you know how difficult it is for many people to play well on the piano. However, piano rolls have been around for ages, so it is not the reproduction that is the problem, it's the performance. Now, assuming that all the technological difficulties have been solved with an instrument like the violin, it still requires someone with very good performance chops to get a good result.

Obviously with many, many automatic features, where you will be banned from doing certain things, it could be made easier. Also a high latency "look ahead" mode (a bit like Synful) could help things even more, but in the end it comes down to knowledge and performance chops. It's a bit like learning to orchestrate. It's all very easy as long as you don't have live players. However, as soon as people have to play your stuff there are many more considerations to take into account, and this takes years of training, practice and experience, and I know that I don't have to tell you this...!

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I don't doubt that there will be a very good way to do all this stuff. What I doubt is the ability of many people to get good results.

as a friend of mine once put it: anybody can buy microsoft word, but that does not make them a poet. 😊

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I don't doubt that there will be a very good way to do all this stuff. What I doubt is the ability of many people to get good results.

as a friend of mine once put it: anybody can buy microsoft word, but that does not make them a poet. 😊

I wish I had been so succinct. [:$]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Football said:

Wow, very exciting.  Is this demo with any additional reverb?  Also, which position is it (close, player or distant)?

Any additional EQ used on this piece?

Hi,

This is just the Imperial plugin, nothing else. The internal Reverb and a little filtering was used on this, well, first improvisation more than real demo.

best

christianK

• Thank you for the information Chrisitan.  You mentioned a "little filtering", by any chance did you filter out any low frequency information?

Still excited for this to come out.  I said it already but piano sampling could really use another leap forward and I'm hoping this is it.

• Hoping for an additional demo soon [:D]