Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,014 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,971 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Here's an idea to make the section sound less thin (in theory): use the pitch/transpose trick (as described by Beat on his site) to create another 8 extra violin section. Double those with the existing 8 and you'll have 16 unique players (without phasing problems).

Or: double the 8 strings with the chamber strings. Will give you 6+8= 14 strings 😄 which you still could divide (albeit unevenly) in 2 or 3 divisi.

I wouldn´t do that. Here´s a link that points in the right direction, from our perspective. 

Best, 

Paul

Paul, I am still confused about your comments.  I have been using VI Pro 2.0.10214 just fine in MIR SE.  Are you saying that Dimension Strings will NOT work in that particular build of VI Pro?

By the way, I do realize that I could get the free upgrade to MIR 24 from MIR SE, and purchase the latest version of VE.  At this time though, if at all possible, I would still rather keep things simple and not be switching back and forth between MIR 24 and MIR SE (when I need the larger number of instances in SE).  When I finally do upgrade, I would rather go directly to the full MIR Pro, which I cannot do at this time (hence also my curiousity about how long the "early bird" special for DS will last).

Thanks for the clarification.

Also +1 for the return of boxed products.  I much prefer boxed products for the full collections (granted, DS is not yet a completed, full collection).

• +1 

As I sit here 25 hours in, at 28% downloaded.... Those already gorgeous Vienna Boxed Sets, are looking even more attractive.

The option to download with a boxed set on the way, would be nice in the future.

• I was booted out by my Internet server last night, so I've given up for now. Luckily this isn't my first VSl product, or with this sort of download fiasco I doubt that there would have been a second one. [;)]

DG

• Yes failed here as well, got a connection then it stopped and never started again! Perhaps 33Gb is just too large for VSL's current delivery technology.

Perhaps not the smoothest product launch?

• DG,

At what point were you booted out???

I'm 31 hours in @ 34.3% downloaded. (Fingers crossed)...

To your customer service point, I couldn't imagine being some new guy on ILIO or SweetWater making this my first VSL experience.

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

8 violins only!! Balanced with 6 celli and 4 basses?!? I don't know how I would use this.

Why not blend it with the existing chamber violin ensemble? Sample Libraries in many ways can't possibly function the same way as a real orchestra would. In order to get the right sound, I may combine instruments- where in an actual recording this may not be necessary for the sake of realism. 8 Violins vs 4 basses may seem imbalanced, but these are tools for you to work with and you have complete control over how you mix them. If recording 10 basses acheived the right effect, then no matter how 'improper' it seems, the end result is what matters when it comes to samples. That's an extreme example, but all I'm trying to get at is that despite the numbers, the user remains in control and as long as it sounds real and in good quality, nothing else matters. And do I trust VSL to those considerations? Yup! [:)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Mike B Studios said:

DG,

At what point were you booted out???

I'm 31 hours in @ 34.3% downloaded. (Fingers crossed)...

20.1%, I think.

DG

• 4 days and at 47%... average 70kB/s, way too slow VSL.

Thanks

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

8 violins only!! Balanced with 6 celli and 4 basses?!? I don't know how I would use this.

Why not blend it with the existing chamber violin ensemble? 

My point was, why do I have to do that? I asked why would it not be possible to record a few more desks, at least with some generic articulations for divisi violins, that would have been enough. Regarding your suggestion, I find that the chamber violins for some reason have a unique chamber sound, and I haven't been ale to successfully blend them in a symphonic setting. To the answer that "with enough EQing, filtering, exciting, whatever, you can make them blend, etc.", I say, why go through all that? Just record a few more desks with legato, detache and marcato, and that's it... Short articulations and the other detailed work that has gone into this would be welcome, but not really as necessary as the standad modern orchestra section...

• [quote=Errikos]My point was, why do I

gotcha! I agree. I would prefer a Violin II dimension section as well. Honestly, I'd prefer a larger ensemble to begin with. But I'm still very pleased that this has been released and I'm buying it in a few weeks nonetheless. :) But I do agree. I don't think it's 'bad product' or anything, but ideally I would prefer not having to take such additional routes to acheive the right result. It should be right to begin with. This allows for the fullest flexibility of the samples.

-Sean

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

[quote=Errikos]My point was, why do I

gotcha! I agree. I would prefer a Violin II dimension section as well. Honestly, I'd prefer a larger ensemble to begin with. But I'm still very pleased that this has been released and I'm buying it in a few weeks nonetheless. 😊 But I do agree. I don't think it's 'bad product' or anything, but ideally I would prefer not having to take such additional routes to acheive the right result. It should be right to begin with. This allows for the fullest flexibility of the samples.

-Sean

I agree with both of you guys. Whatever VST we add to make a sound into another sound is not enough, besides that's not sounding natural as recording some more. And recording more is just a simple and effective way.

I prefer larger ensemble too. 8-players sound is thin in my own opinion. As Herb said it can not be used to replace 20-players sound. The 'Dimension' idea is very cool and VSL team has done great job on it. So we like this very much.

But I still hope VSL will do something to make this Dimension Strings larger ensemble. Such nice library but only 8 players. May be release something like 'Dimension Strings 2' which recorded by another 8 players? If that's true I believe most of us won't mind the money and will buy. If so that's very very cool and it will become the most amazing library in the world.

And hi Paul,

There is only one demo mp3 and one demo video. For now only few people got the whole library and others are still downloading. So we know little about Dimension Strings now, but we know there are only 8 players, by simplely doubling the track or add some effects could not work well. So I want to ask Paul for a favor: can you tell us how to do if we want larger ensemble sounds only using Dimension Strings? Can some video tips and tricks made to explain this and more about Dimension Strings? Thanks!!!!!!

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Mark,

There will be more demos, there will be more videos. Promised.

Did you read this thread yet?

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • "...in the present case, it is just as necessary to renounce a nonexistent freedom and recognize a dependence we do not feel."

Hmm. Well, I finished that book. That Tolstoy could go on. But, now it's time to see how much I've downloaded.

48.4% !? Holy stinking [ trombone blat ] !  It's been about 42 hours. 

I need to find another book. Let's see: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...." 

• I'm afraid that one might not be long enough... Try "In the beginning, God made the sky and the earth..."

• I see back to 4 servers and 59 kB/s. What happened to the 8 severs?

• You took my next punchline. [:)]

Yes, Gary, here too. Those new four or five servers dropped off in the late afternoon, USA Eastern Time. I'm just over 50% with an ETA of three more days. 

• Great improvement. 

We "Early Adapters" got an email from Mr. Tucmandl. I followed the new directions, and all worked smoothly. Now 7 servers appear, and the average download rate went from about 150 kB/s to 650. A three day ETA shrunk to about six more hours. And that's in the evening of a Friday night in the States when, I'm told, Internet traffic is high (if such things matters). 

I've learned over the years to keep momentary frustrations with VSL off of the forum, because they always come through. 

•  I wrote this on the other thread also - is there a different procedure for the download?  I could not open that pdf attachment.  I am at about 80%, with a speed of about 130 kb/s.  thanks.

•  now it's up to 300 so I probably won't do anything! 

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

If you want to hear a stronger melody line with just the Dimension Strings, e.g., in the lower register, you´ll be surprised how effective it is to let 8 violins play sul G, and another 8 violins sul D (and then sul D and sul A  and so on). 

But since we haven't got the library yet, hope more videos explanation will come soon. 😊 We all know VSL team is busy doing biggest effort on every project. Thanks you guys for hard work!!!!!!!