Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,038 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,974 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• Download speed is terrible, I was at 33% after 2 days... have to reboot the computer and it's going back from zero, now transfer rate is also zero???

VSL, are you there?

Sonny

• Oh boy, not good. I have to take my laptop with me tonight. So I'll have to start the download all over again?

• I afraid download manager will not support continue download once it quit.

Sonny

• I don't advise that. I tried it a few times and it cut the download speed in half and reduced the number of servers from 4 to 2.

• oops, my bad, My download actually continued from 33% ... just let it verify the downloaded contents in few minutes

Sorry and happy Dimention guys, can't wait!

Sonny

• 0.3%, and only three days and seven hours left.

Hmm. What's this book? I'll give it a read. " â€œWell, Prince, Genoa and Lucca are now no more than private estates of the Bonaparte family...."

0.4%

• Yeah this is very bad... 4 hours only 5% downloaded.

And unless I missed it, VSL has remained silent in this regard.

We can only hope they are addressing it quietly, behind the scenes.

If you want to be identified as a modern download company, you must deploy BIG BOY SERVERS........

• Sure it would be nice to have everything faster, but I can deal with a long download time, because its still faster than getting DVDs by mail.  

The main thing is - this is the most awesome string library on the planet!  Nothing else touches this.  Now available.  I am already doing a notation file in Finale for it.  VSL has gone beyond anything else in existence... again.

• Hello William,

I've bought into the instant gratification that downloads provide.  [:)]

I agree with you one hundred percent it is all about these groundbreaking samples.

The possibilities are wonderful. The layering breathtaking. And when used with older String Libs it's fresh DNA at once.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I've now watched the video a couple of times, and whilst I find some of the tone a little strident, I don't think that it's something I can't deal with fairly easily. I also think that it's so cheap that I should just get it anyway. In some respects it might replace Chamber Strings in my template, as that Collection is often used for layering with Appassionata (and Orchestral at times), and I think that DS will probably do a better job.

You're one of the few who know how!

• Are the posted sample content " articulations" is the finale list ?

• DG, regarding GOS, that was a looooooooong time ago.  I actually did like the ability to program bow changes.  Unfortunately I never had much success with the library as I was one of those individuals who had nothing but trouble trying to get ye old Giga Studio to work properly.  As for forcing bow changes, the samples were set up in two banks, mapped to two different sections of the keyboard, with down bows in one set, and the upbows in the second set.  You could program bowing however you wished.  The downside was that when doing that, the notated part ceased to correspond to actual notes as the upbows (IIRC) were typically placed three or four octaves higher on the keyboard.  The ranges of the instruments were generally not quite full range.

Overall, for the time frame that it was released, it was a major breakthrough.  IIRC, it was the first major strings samples library of its kind, and even predated VSL (I think).  It was very different from the later GPO stuff, and was sampled at a much more in-depth level, with better overall sound.  Would it compare to VSL?  No.  As it was written for Giga Studio, the library has long since become obsolete.  Even its design had become obsolete prior to Giga Studio's demise, and the library has not been supported for several years.

• A couple other Dimension String questions:

Does it require the latest VI Pro/VE Pro build/MIR Pro/MIR 24?

Is it possible to get it to work under the older MIR SE?  At this point I am still on MIR SE, and it will be quite awhile before I can jump to the full MIR Pro.

Thanks.

• The demos sound promising!

Here's an idea to make the section sound less thin (in theory): use the pitch/transpose trick (as described by Beat on his site) to create another 8 extra violin section. Double those with the existing 8 and you'll have 16 unique players (without phasing problems).

Or: double the 8 strings with the chamber strings. Will give you 6+8= 14 strings :D which you still could divide (albeit unevenly) in 2 or 3 divisi.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi noldar12, 

@Another User said:

Here's an idea to make the section sound less thin (in theory): use the pitch/transpose trick (as described by Beat on his site) to create another 8 extra violin section. Double those with the existing 8 and you'll have 16 unique players (without phasing problems).

Or: double the 8 strings with the chamber strings. Will give you 6+8= 14 strings 😄 which you still could divide (albeit unevenly) in 2 or 3 divisi.

I wouldn´t do that. Here´s a link that points in the right direction, from our perspective. 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul,

First of all, well done on the Dimension Strings (you must get tired of hearing that [:D]). That's an interesting approach (using alternate strings for the same passage), haven't thought of that (reading the interview right now by the way!)

• Will this be available via the Vienna Hard drive?

I recently had a bit of nightmare downloading an Albion library over a weekend ... and that was only 20 Gig .... downloading 33 Gig ... and more in the future is a bit impractical for me.

• VSL... Please post more Dim-Strings audio demos  ! 

Thanks,

Muziksculp 

• Paul says it's not a good idea to pause and restart, as the bump in speed is minimal and temporary.

Paul also said we can expect better performance tomorrow...

Read Here:                   http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/33174/209125.aspx#209125

• First of all, congratulations on completing such a huge sample-library (and a nod to Dietz, he knows...). I must however note some disappointments. First of all, why labour so much and for so long for such a small violin ensemble?...

8 violins only!! Balanced with 6 celli and 4 basses?!? I don't know how I would use this. The rest of the strings, fine; but the violins?! I mean why should we need to blend with Orchestrals or Apassionatas? Would it really have been that many more samples and editing had VSL recorded 2-3 more desks? I would be happy to have had at least some generic divisi of a modern philharmonic violin section, and I wouldn't expect to have the complete sul G or E from every violin involved.

I agree with Daryl in that I also would appreciate the option of up/down bowing, but it's mainly the size of the ensemble that bothers me.

Finally, what's wrong with boxed products? Have we become so eco-nuts that we have lost all sense of practicality? I know that it wouldn't be that much more expensive to offer a box-option, and I believe many of us here would rather pay a few extra €/$ than download for hours on end, to say nothing of ensuing problems intrinsic to that method... And not everybody wants to buy the hard disk, although I applaud that idea. Please-please-please-please-please bring back the beautiful DVDs and boxes.