Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,022 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,971 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Hi All,

Am about to buy DS but given all the questions being asked here about which machine, PDU usage, SSD etc. I thought i'd tap in to the knowledge well if possible?

My idea is to run Cubase 6.5 (64bit) on the 2.93 i7 iMac and use the MacPro 3GHz 8 core as a sample slave machine via VEP. As i understand it, the MP running VEP 64bit server would be connected to the iMac via ethernet cable.  Does that mean all communication and sample audio would be passed through to the iMac by the ethernet cable? If so, then only the iMac would be connected to the fireface 800 (via FW) to output audio to the 01v96 VCM mixing desk.

Is that understandable and more importantly possible?

Following on, would you advise running DV from it's own internal SSD on the MP?\
    Thanks for your time [:)]
    MD

• This place has many wonderful qualities, but light-heartedness? Eh..... not so much. :D

The only reason I'm even -thinking- about D/S right now -is- the divisi thing. I -love- pretty much everything about C/S... except for those moments when the 'desks' split up and instead one suddenly hears... twice as many guys! :D Which is about 20% of the time in the music I write. Drives me insane.

D/S sounds like 'the cure'... if I can get the horsepower it needs.

Best,

---JC

• To me, it looks like you have the horsepower necessary. Unless you're running D/S on your slave. Then you *might* have some problems. But I'm not incredibly savvy when it comes to computers, so I'm not sure if your slave is "outdated" or anything. When I get this current project in a more presentable state, I'll post something that involves all six violins.

• Hi everyone!! I'm new here. I've bought Dimension Strings and had a look on it. Next day I've decided to buy Vienna Instruments PRO and have seen new presets added, named with suffix 'pro'. Unfortunately they doesn't work. Do someone knows the problem?? Regards, Tomek

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Amadeus,

This is a feature of VI PRO, it loads VI PRO Presets with disabled cells.

Click on a cell, this will enable it (load the samples in the background).

Right-click on a matrix (in the matrix list to the left), you can "enable" the whole matrix.

In "Settings" (the icon left to the Basic/Advanved View), you can also enable the whole instance and find additional options (like "Force Enabled Cells").

Please see the VI PRO Manual for more information and check out the many video tutorials that also explain all the new features in detail:

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks very much Paul!! Imdeed, I've read VI manual only, not PRO yet. :-) Regards!! Tomek

•  Arbee, if I were you, I would put whatever samples you use the most with the heaviest streaming load on the SSD.  Certainly solo strings and chamber strings would be strong candidates, and DS in particular.  I would not put SE on an SSD drive, as SE has fewer layers, fewer samples per patch, fewer available articulations, and doesn't stress the system anywhere near as much as a more complex full library would.

• Thanks, yes I'll probably just put DS on the SSD for now until I see how big it is when complete, and how much room I have left for my other strings. My SE bundle and Dim. Brass are plenty fast enough already on my Caviar Black. I suspect DS (when complete) + Solo Strings + Chamber Strings won't see much left of my 240Gb. I appreciate however in a "read only" environment, filling up a SSD shouldn't create any real issues.

• I really wish the Cellos and Violas will be released soon. I'm working on a project that requires multiple cellos and violas with divisi. Has anyone heard/read anything other than the release date of "2013?" Any info would be great!

•  I predict we will see Cellos next, mainly because I think that is the next logical choice for which would be the next useful section.

I reckon we might see this over Christmas, though probably January,  That will probably be the end of the early bird offer too....   

purely a random guess -  I have no real facts to base this on.....