Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,407 users have contributed to 42,225 threads and 254,784 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• DG, I would comment about the very ancient, and long since non-viable GOS strings library that did allow for setting one's own bow changes.  With it being available in that very old, outdated library, one would think that just maybe...

But, I won't go there. <smile>

As others have commented, I too would really like to know how long the advance purchase period will last, as it will likely be a couple months before I could make that purchase, and DS looks like it would be very helpful.

• last edited
    last edited

@garylionelli said:

Bump on this slow download issue. Now it's saying 3 days. Can you provide an alternate link? Thanks.

I've managed 1% so far and I'm getting around 170kb/s so I guess that mine will take a couple of days as well.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@noldar12 said:

DG, I would comment about the very ancient, and long since non-viable GOS strings library that did allow for setting one's own bow changes.  With it being available in that very old, outdated library, one would think that just maybe...

But, I won't go there. <smile>

I didn't know that. Was it any good?

DG

• Hello everybody, 

Just a quick update: We´re currently working with high pressure on improving the download performance for you!

We´re actually quite overwhelmed by the great response to the Dimension Violins [:)] 

Thanks for your patience and understanding (We know it´s hard to wait for the download to finish, but it will be worth it!) 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Will Dimension Strings  be eventually added to the content of the Vienna Hard Drive in the future ? 

If Yes, that would be great. 

I'm guessing this will be added to the current content of the Vienna HD, when the entire Dimension Strings is completed next year. 

• Dear Herb and Team,

Can you please confirm that once the Dimension Strings is finished, Early Bird purchasers will receive a boxed version of the software?

Kind Regards,

Nick.

• Thanks Paul, appreciate whatever you can do. (And just to explain, it's not that we're impatient, but rather that this download stream is vey slow compared to other vendors' libraries that I've downloaded, and I'd rather not have the computer tied up for 3 or 4 days just to download this when other similarly sized libraries have downloaded in 3 or 4 hours.)

• I'm now at 12% and have 3 days to go.  [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@nicks said:

Dear Herb and Team,

Can you please confirm that once the Dimension Strings is finished, Early Bird purchasers will receive a boxed version of the software?

Kind Regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

That is unlikely to happen, since VSL moved all their collections to download-only......!

• I've been playing with the Dim Violins for a day now, been lucky enough to grab it in only 15 hours on the first day.

God! This library is really impressive.

It's 61 GB after decompression. I recommand using fast drives, SSD or multiple drives, it's a lot of samples to stream.

I've been able to create a second section using MIR positionning. I just duplicate the first 8 violins and positionned the players differently. Dose'nt have phasing issues, not that I could clearly hear. But using different string position (Forcing Sul G,D,A,E) would be even better. It's amazing how a musical phrase can sound different played on other strings and the portamento created when using Force G and others are so musical.

Using the time humanization for short notes like pizz works really well.

This is not a sketchpad for composing, it's really for a final production and extreme tweakability.

It worth the wait.

• last edited
    last edited

@FredB said:

I've been playing with the Dim Violins for a day now, been lucky enough to grab it in only 15 hours on the first day.

God! This library is really impressive.

It's 61 GB after decompression. I recommand using fast drives, SSD or multiple drives, it's a lot of samples to stream.

I've been able to create a second section using MIR positionning. I just duplicate the first 8 violins and positionned the players differently. Dose'nt have phasing issues, not that I could clearly hear. But using different string position (Forcing Sul G,D,A,E) would be even better. It's amazing how a musical phrase can sound different played on other strings and the portamento created when using Force G and others are so musical.

Using the time humanization for short notes like pizz works really well.

This is not a sketchpad for composing, it's really for a final production and extreme tweakability.

It worth the wait.

Hi FredB, could you make some short demo for listening? Especially 8 players ensemble and some with 2nd violin. Thanks.

• This is really exciting.  The sound is awesome - total realism.   The Dimension approach is another innovation by VSL that is simply revolutionary.  I think the size of these ensembles is perfect since the complexity of string timbre actually INCREASES with a smaller ensemble.   This is just the right compromise between largeness of sound and transparency.  Also, as mentioned in the info, the older libraries can all be combined in various layering approaches for an even greater number of possibilities. 

O.K., I'm forcing myself not to check this download any more today - well, at least not this hour...

•  One other thing.  People have regularly been layerng Appassionata with solo for the added complexity and expression.  Just think about this combined with Appassionata!   AND solo....   [:O][:P][:D][8-|][Y]

• last edited
    last edited

@markbatuer said:

Hi FredB, could you make some short demo for listening? Especially 8 players ensemble and some with 2nd violin. Thanks

Unfortunatly, I can't for the moment. I'm busy on a (non-orchestral) project for the next 2 days and the setup I use now is too different. But it will be a pleasure to do it after that if nobody else have done it.

• last edited
    last edited

@markbatuer said:

Hi FredB, could you make some short demo for listening? Especially 8 players ensemble and some with 2nd violin. Thanks

Unfortunatly, I can't for the moment. I'm busy on a (non-orchestral) project for the next 2 days and the setup I use now is too different. But it will be a pleasure to do it after that if nobody else have done it.

Hi FredB that's OK. How does the 8 violins ensemble sound? Some says this library sound a little thin. What do you think? And based on it sounds, can it be used alone or should have to be layered with some other string library?

• Thanks, Paul... any update on this yet?

I'm 24 hours in with what is typically a VERY fast connection, and am still only at 41%.

I've got a deadline for tomorrow on a project that's just begging for this library!  :-)

• 15% for me....

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@markbatuer said:

Hi FredB that's OK. How does the 8 violins ensemble sound? Some says this library sound a little thin. What do you think? And based on it sounds, can it be used alone or should have to be layered with some other string library?

All I can say is that it sounds like 8 players. I have done some recordings with 8 players before (4VL1, 4VL2,3VA,2VC,1CB) with overdubs, and with good programming I think it will sounds as good as that.

And keep in mind that this is just the Violin part of the collection, the thinnest section...

I  like this sound alone for many of my personnal project. but I presume it will blend well with other library, specialy those recorded by VSL and mixed inside MIR. But even without MIR it should do it.

Something else that have been improved is that the Vib/non-Vib crossfade is really better than older libraries. And the 4 layers velocity X-fade is smoother too.

• Would be very very very happy to know, when the EARLY BIRD will dying.

(poor bird sniff...)

• At these download speeds the early bird special will be over before I recieve my Violins...   [^o)]