Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,511 users have contributed to 42,303 threads and 255,091 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• More than 85% of the sample content in SE-Standard+ is new content, because the major part are the performance-repetitions, which were never included in any Opus product or in SE, and these were the most wanted samples for many users. 

SE-Standard and SE-Standard+ do offer now 65.000 samples. (plus 38,000 samples in SE-Extended)

best

Herb

• Prices do seem off for some. But only thing i could come up with is all the new server hardware and storage to make the download possible. For all the users. Compare to this website. That going to be a project in itself. Maybe that where all the extra money is going. Just an idea. Funny the older you get the more xmas present you have to buy yourself. Well the good stuff you want. lol

• Hello Herb,

thanks for the comments.

Be sure that I do respect your work, and the quality of your libraries.

And I do appreciate that the perf reps -leg & spicc- are provided in this package.

It's simply that I'm a bit frustrated that all the "common" instruments on the extended library (winds and brass mainly) are left out of this upgrade path....

Speaking of the fast repetitions, this is something I never used, because I can't see how to really benefit of them :

they indeed seem just like short phrases to me (like the drum loops used to be), and their fixed tempo is quite a limitation, making it almost imopossible to use in a "natural" way outside the given tempo.....

unless I misunderstand their purpose, and maybe have missed something important in the VI engine which can control them more satisfactoryly.

So can you, or someone else, tell me how they are intended to be used ? 

• last edited
    last edited

@sirbellog said:

Speaking of the fast repetitions, this is something I never used, because I can't see how to really benefit of them :

they indeed seem just like short phrases to me (like the drum loops used to be), and their fixed tempo is quite a limitation, making it almost imopossible to use in a "natural" way outside the given tempo.....

unless I misunderstand their purpose, and maybe have missed something important in the VI engine which can control them more satisfactoryly.

So can you, or someone else, tell me how they are intended to be used ? 

Actually, you'll fid that they are very useful. If you want fast upbeats of various sorts no player would play them exactly at the tempo and would usually play them faster. There are enough different tempi available that they cover most needs. I use them quite often.

Of course if it really worries you, they can always be timestretched.

DG

• It's called Standard Plus library and not Extended Plus library, therefor only instruments of the Standard library are included.

The fast repetitions are extremely useful for fast double, triple or quatruple repetitions .

At a fast speed and only using a few repetitions the samples are have a lot of flexebility and don't have to match exactly a certain BPM speed.

Also it's very difficult to perform fast repetitions on a keyboard. (it's pretty easy for a string or wind instrument), so this is maybe the only chance for many keyboard players to perform fast repetitions easely on a keyboard.

best

Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@CplusE said:

Prices do seem off for some. But only thing i could come up with is all the new server hardware and storage to make the download possible. For all the users. Compare to this website. That going to be a project in itself. Maybe that where all the extra money is going. Just an idea. Funny the older you get the more xmas present you have to buy yourself. Well the good stuff you want. lol

To me (and to my wallet) it's worth to wait for a boxed (= cheaper) version.

Drive safe: bad times on the horizon...

[;)]

• last edited
    last edited

@CplusE said:

Prices do seem off for some. But only thing i could come up with is all the new server hardware and storage to make the download possible. For all the users. Compare to this website. That going to be a project in itself. Maybe that where all the extra money is going. Just an idea. Funny the older you get the more xmas present you have to buy yourself. Well the good stuff you want. lol
    I don't think the cost for putting up the downloads would be a much of factor if any at all. They already have a web site with downloading going on.

• last edited
    last edited

@CplusE said:

To me (and to my wallet) it's worth to wait for a boxed (= cheaper) version.

Drive safe: bad times on the horizon...

Camolino!  The is the second time you've said that you are going to wait for the BOXED SE+ and yet NO ONE has said that VSL is going to release a BOXED SE+. Has someone from VSL told you that they are going to release a BOXED SE+, or are you just speculating this?

Brian 

• ETA on when they'll be ready for download?

• I just hope that prior to the release of the "revisited" guitars, new audio demos showing the new possibilities/samples/patches, will be posted !

The Upright sounds very nice, and i'll very ikely buy it, but before "upgrading" from Horizon to Classical and Overdrive VI, I'd like to be sure that it's a real improvement.

I also secretly hope that XMAs time may bring a "time-limited" special offer for all those downloadable instruments....  

• I was hoping that VSL might launch the Overdrive VI complete with 'unprocessed' patches - this would have made it much more versatile IMO but alas, it looks like that's not the case. Still looks a pretty reasonable price though.

• I totally agree. Why on earth would I (or anybody) want just one sound? - rather like releasing a synth with just one preset and no knobs! Also, running DI'd or preamped signals into amp/ cab sims creates very realistic results anyway - as note transitions get blurred etc ... even simple home made guitar sample instruments can sound quite realistic (where they sound very fake listened to 'dry'). So if you could get all the VI wizardry (legato etc) paying into an amp/cab sim you would have a very realistic instrument indeed - and a flexible (ie USEFUL) one too!

Guitar sounds are a matter of taste and I personally can't stand the VSL electric guitar sound - no offence! [:)] Even if I loved it I would not want to use the same sound over and over on every project! Maybe there is a target market for it and I am just not in it - ie I own and play a guitar, I make guitar based music and I have amp sims already - it's probably not desingned for someone like me.

I don't mean to complain - I still love VSL ...  [:#]

• Hi,

we´re using Overdrive with different amp simulators all the time - you can bend the sound into man directions. 

And the killer feature is still the range of this guitar [:)]

Best,

Paul 

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • In spite of reading the thread and the official informations one question is still left for me:

If I understand the download conditions right : either I can hire some articulations for a monthly amount or I can buy the license for whole standard plus edition for 460,- EUR.

Is there a way to combine both conditions? If one rents a package of 5 articulations for a year he pays more than the price for the whole package. Can the price for renting be deducted (maybe a percental amount) from the price for the whole package in some way?

Sorry if I had missed something and thanks for your help!

Best,

Rainer

• last edited
    last edited

@RLeutert_14950 said:

either I can hire some articulations for a monthly amount or I can buy the license for whole standard plus edition

No, renting is not involved.  You either buy the package all at once, or you buy the package over time; either way, you end up with the whole package.

See Herb's reply to my question about this, where I confirmed that renting is not what's on offer: 

•  Ok, I think I get it now.

1) There are 54 packages

2) you 'subscribe'  to one package a month [for example]

3) For the first month you get Package A01

4) The next month you, as well as keeping package A01, recieve package A02 for download. 

5) And so on.

6) That's really cool. 

BUT: It's not possible to download say, "1st violins, flute and trumpet" together, no? It has to be in the listed order? I.e. A01, A02, etc...?

• thank you, fcw,

my english isn´t as good as many years ago...    now I understand!

That´s much better than I thought... can´t wait.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

my english isn´t as good as many years ago...    now I understand

Ich wuerde wetten dass es besser als mein Deutsch ist.

• last edited
    last edited

@Banquo said:

Ok, I think I get it now.

1) There are 54 packages

2) you 'subscribe'  to one package a month [for example]

3) For the first month you get Package A01

4) The next month you, as well as keeping package A01, recieve package A02 for download. 

5) And so on.

6) That's really cool. 

BUT: It's not possible to download say, "1st violins, flute and trumpet" together, no? It has to be in the listed order? I.e. A01, A02, etc...?

Of course the one package a month option is pretty silly (if you don't add aditional packages each month) because with 54/56 packages it would take 4 years and 6/8 months to get the entire collection which I'm sure would be outdated by that time as VSL will probably have moved on to another product line.

• well, i'd say the packages are configured in a well considered order to allow you doing *something* from the first package on.

moving to the new product line (Vienna Instruments) was compelling from my point of view, because the samplers and further options for the (midi based) performance tool have reached a certain limit (especially if features should be the same for all platforms).

eg. the opus bundle still allows good work to be done, but extending it to the functionality of say the special edition is not realistic.

some of you have been not too enthusiastic to see a proprietary format arriving with the new prduct line, but this allows further development based on controllable conditions without dependencies on third party engines/samplers/features. means i'm pretty confident we will see the Vienna Instruments format at least as long as the formats for the *old* sample libraries.

so time will tell if the 1 package subscription is useful for someone or not - imagine pupils or students who often have to be careful spending their money ....

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.