Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,545 users have contributed to 42,306 threads and 255,098 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 55 new user(s).

• Sooooo,does one NEED to own SE (the DVD version) in order to "subscribe" or does the subscription install the necessary samples?

The subscription of the SE Standard installs the necessary samples.

The subsciption of SE Standard Plus enhances your SE Standard library (the subscription-dowlnload  and the DVD version)

Also,will there be a list of articulations listed for the "overdrive" libraries?

Yes, coming soon.

Might we standard special edition users have an upgrade path to the complete strings and woodwinds coming through these downloads, so that we do not need to buy articulations we already have if we were to buy the two orchestral strings packages?

Not at the moment, maybe we'll offer special time limited upgrades next year, if there are a lot of requests.

Does SE+ come with the Universal mode matrix for whatever instruments are upgraded to plus?

No, the universal mode is only availabe in the extended versions of the larger collections.

They need a lot of additional performance patches (perf-fast legato, perf-spiccato, perf-fast spiccato, perf-detache, perf-fast detache)

All included articulations of SE Standard Plus are listed here:

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/496/528/530/760/491.htm

Why does downloading the Special Edition Standard library cost 40% more than buying the DVD?

It's primary dedicated to all people who want to take the subscription offer, because they don't want to spend too much money at once.

The all at once download is an offer for all who have difficulties to get any shipments to their country. 

Generally we do not want to take away the sales of SE Standard from our dealers and distributors. 

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

Why does downloading the Special Edition Standard library cost 40% more than buying the DVD?

It's primary dedicated to all people who want to take the subscription offer, because they don't want to spend too much money at once.

Looks like a monthly instalment at standard interest rates.

• If the SE plus subscription prices also factor in 'interest rates' in the price, which seems fair enough, might it not therefore be possible for the 'all 56 packages at once' option to be at a lower price?

• last edited
    last edited

@orchestralalala said:

If the SE plus subscription prices also factor in 'interest rates' in the price, which seems fair enough, might it not therefore be possible for the 'all 56 packages at once' option to be at a lower price?

Good question... [8-|] 

• Welcome to the world of Economics.....

• Hello. This is a fantastic oportunity. I think that it is really a bargain. I plan to buy all 56 at once as soon as it is released. It would be really nice that you keep on adding more subscriptions to this idea. Congratulations and thank you!

• last edited
    last edited

@Tari said:

Hello. This is a fantastic oportunity. I think that it is really a bargain. I plan to buy all 56 at once as soon as it is released.

Just for curiosity's sake: why would you go to spend more, buying and downloading the very same package you can get for less if shipped via UPS, DHL or so?

Do you live on an oil rig or so?

[;)] 

• He's speaking about VSL SE Plus, not Standard, as I understand.

VSL SE Plus will be ONLY available from download, at least for now.

VSL SE Standard has 54 packages, not 56. 

• Yes, but the Standard Edition wil be either available for d/l, and will cost 460 EUR, or traditional shipping, and will cost 345 EUR.

Sic rebus stantibus, I guess SE Plus should cost less if boxed and shipped rather than downloaded.

There is something I don't understand, yet...

• Hello Camolino, Zareone is right. I am talking about the SE Plus. I already purchased VSL SE. I understand the reason that Herb has pointed about VSL SE download.

I always prefer to buy boxed sets, but this is a great opportunity for us to complete our Vienna Orchestra without spending a lot of money. So I would like to know if they are going to keep on with more subscriptions in the future (some Universal mode matrix would be awesome!).

We cannot put the price to the products, we only can buy them if we want, so...as I love this idea, I can only say: keep on and thank you!

I don' t live in an oil rig btw [;)]

• Would you VSL folks be interested in releasing a Special Edition Extended Plus?  So that we could get the extra articulations for the SE Ext. instruments as well.  I'd be especially interested in the Epic Horns extra articulations.

• I think I'll wait till a boxed VI SE Plus becomes available... [8-|]

• Again, it's economics.

I understand the confusion that a boxed and shipped item should surely cost more than one transferable via the internet. 

However, bear in mind the time and cost of assembling such a huge and comprehensive sample library. To keep the prices of their products as low as possible VSL can't offer retailers the same margins that other companies can. To keep retailers happy with selling VSL products VSL couldn't possibly incentivise [b]not[/b] buying from those retailers. It also wouldn't be fair on those retailers who have supported VSL in the past - such high priced goods are a risky item to sell. I met a guy in Amsterdam whotold me that somebody hasd ordered Opus 1 from him so got it in - but the guy never showed up to buy it and so the retailer was stuck with a 700e doorstop.

You can buy the SE for e345 with nice box and a cd in case anything goes wrong. You were happy with it before, please continue being happy with it. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Camolino said:

I think I'll wait till a boxed VI SE Plus becomes available... 

The VSL folks haven't said anything about releasing VI SE+ in a box.  So I don't know if they're planning to do that.  However, just my two cents, but I think it would be cool if they released a VI SE+ in a box that also contained VI SE+ Ext. in which the installation, and registration would be the same as all their other boxed sets.  That way I can immediately use VI SE+ out of the box (have VI SE+ Ext. on my HD) and later purchase VI SE+ Ext. by just buying the registration number which is normally emailed as a pdf. It's really a great system, I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hmmm, what do you think VSL? I understand the philosophy of having an installment plan for those who don't want to fork up all the money at once, but I don't understand why someone would want to make a DONATION to VSL by purchasing all at once the entire download-able product at a higher price when the same boxed version is cheaper (thinking of VI SE Stnd. DOWNLOAD for 460 EUR versus VI SE Stnd. BOXED for 345 EUR).

It is VERY OBVIOUS that VI SE Stnd. BOXED is cheaper and the same thing as VI SE Stnd. DOWNLOAD.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my VI SE BOXED!  I love it!  The VI SE DOWNLOAD option has no impact on me what so ever, so why should I be so concerned about the price difference between VI SE BOXED vs. VI SE DOWNLOAD?  Well, I guess the question going through my mind (and clearly others as well) is, would a boxed VI SE+ (if released) be cheaper than the VI SE+ DOWNLOAD? Seems to me like it should be, since you have demonstrated this to be the case when comparing the VI SE Stnd. BOXED vs. DOWNLOAD.

You have to admit, on the consumer side of things, it appears very suspect.

P.S.  I have to say though, the other new products (instruments) in the download area seem more suited to downloading because you don't have to download 54-56 different modules (kind of cumbersome) and appear reasonably priced.  The upright bass seems pretty awesome to me! 

•  As Herb pointed out, VSL SE Standard downloable version can be purchased in one payment for those people who live in areas where they there are not retailers, or the prices are too high. If you can have it boxed in a shop next to your home (or via Musicstore, thomann, dolphinmusic...)  paying more for downloading it is of course a no-sense.

• Hi. I intend do buy the SE and subscribe the Se+. In the future I want to gradually upgrade to the full VSL library. Is there a big difference in terms of price, when you do it that way, compared to buying the strings, winds, brass and percussion package all at once? In other words: When you buy the standard Edition and order the standard plus, is there a VIP discount on let's say the full strings package for the samples you already have? I apologize, if that has already been asked, but I couldn't find an answer here to this rather ovious question. I would really like to see a transparent overview of the VIP system, that tells me, how prices of your products relate to others.

• last edited
    last edited

@Banquo said:

You can buy the SE for e345 with nice box and a cd in case anything goes wrong. You were happy with it before, please continue being happy with it. 

You bet!

YOU buy the 460 EUR version. WE buy the 345 EUR one.

Enjoy.

[A]

• last edited
    last edited

@Banquo said:

Again, it's economics.

I understand the confusion that a boxed and shipped item should surely cost more than one transferable via the internet. 

However, bear in mind the time and cost of assembling such a huge and comprehensive sample library. To keep the prices of their products as low as possible VSL can't offer retailers the same margins that other companies can.
    Sure... but following that line of thought - with a product available direct from the manufacturer, there are no 3rd party "margins" to consider. VSL could in fact offer the downloads directly to customers for the same price as the boxed versions available from the distributers, yet still make more money per copy sold than they would make from boxed copy sales. It's the same content at the same price, but it would generate more profit per sale than a boxed copy. The part that is most peculiar is the amount (40% !!) by which they have hiked up the price for downloading the entire bundle at once - it's artificially high.

• This is true. I guess they're talked about it and are just trying it out to see what the response is like. Heh, can you imagine how long it would take to download the SC? 

550,000,000 mb @ .3 meg a second (irish ransfer rates)

• I for one recently decided to finally crossgrade my good old Opus to SE full, and am expecting the delivery soon. 

And I was at first enthusiast about the release of this SE Standard +, because of repetitions and "new" articulations....

But, reading the content more carefully,

I'm now a bit surprised and sad to see what "SE Standard +" actually offers for 460€  (same price as the SE Extended library, and only for the "all packages at once" option) :

In fact, "Standard +" is indeed the right name, unfortunately, because it has only extra articulations for the SE standard instruments....

(and some of those articulations are just "basic" ones, like the (short) detache 0,3s, which were part of the old Opus 1, and are missing in SE for some mysterious reason)

Okay,

this makes some kind of sense because it is intended partly for subscribers who get just the standard library. But in their case, it's IMO a bit pricy....

But what about "full SE" users who are warmly invited on the product's page to join the buy of this extra package ?

Does it mean that they have to also expect an "SE Extended +" later on, at €460 once again for download, just to get the the same level of articulations for their Extended lib instruments ?

My opinion : a lower price would be wiser for the "standard only +" expansion.

And €460 would be a more realistic price for the "extended+standard +" one.... 

Unless maybe an "SE Part 2" V.I on dvd is planned, which would offer a Standard + lib, and an Extended + lib, preferably at way less than €920....

In this case, it would be good to know.....