Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,152 users have contributed to 42,278 threads and 254,995 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@SyQuEsT said:

What about the X-fade option ? any improvement ?

I mean, we'll we have a solution for the "50% chorus bug" ?

Well, it's pretty much impossible to 'solve' the "50% chorus bug" when you're using direct sample playback. It's possible with some form of resynthesis, but VSL has stated their position on that: they're only interested in using pure, untouched samples. They may be able to devise a better workaround than the straight x-fade, but it's a huge challenge... I mean, they already have the "dynamics" samples, so it could just be a matter of figuring out an intuitive, realtime way of using those(??). Mind you, the other thing that I've hardly seen mentioned in this thread is the fact that they explicitly mention "version 2.0" of the Vienna Instruments on the VE "teaser" page. So, Vienna Instruments 2.0 is on it's way as well. We'll just have to wait and see what improvements that holds! Maybe they'll have a convolution-based x-fader. (But then you'd have to accept considerably higher CPU usage for each instance...) --J.

• Actually Herb did say (rather cryptically) that they had solved it, but that current computers would only be able to run about 2 instances at a time. If that is true, then I would be quite happy to accept an offline, high quality render in order to use this feature. It is the one feature in VI that wastes the most time for me. Of course, this wouldn't help any DAW users where mixdowns have to happen in real time. Serves them right for using lame software. [:D]

DG

• "Solved it" using raw samples? That's kind of amazing, actually. But I suppose it's probably possible... (not sure how you'd do it, mind you... but I guess that's why I don't work at VSL). ;-) --J.

• I can't remember, what exactly did I say?

However, Vienna Instruments remains to be a sample player. No synthesis or similiar stuff.

best

Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

However, Vienna Instruments remains to be a sample player. No synthesis or similiar stuff.

Good answer [Y][:)]

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

I can't remember, what exactly did I say?

Vitamin B...

• Herb's statement is one of artistic principle above everything else - that the purity of samples is paramount. And someone jimmyjacking around with waveforms can go elsewhere. [H]

BTW - crossfade phasing is a non-issue with VSL.  If you have a bee in your bonnet concerning this use any one of the massive number of dynamic samples available. That is why they were recorded.

• well, nevertheless - in their tutorial videos the show off dynamic crossfades - and some of them sound - at least to my ears - totally unmusical, faked, scary - and I do not consider myself to be a purist or anything. I think time stretching and formant shifting would be a great addition to the sample player - Roland and Creamware (STS5000) already showed that time-manipulation and such can be done with great quality. This would help the vibrato expressiveness a lot. With Kontakt we had at least (soundwise) limited possibilities available. not with the VI yet, but planning to transfer slowly .... best

• Roland and Creamware's time stretching applications are non streaming sampling systems I guess?

best

Herb

• William, I agree that there are many alternatives to velocity xFade, but it is such a good feature that I really would love to be able to use it on all instruments. The more keyswitching that I have to do the more I hate programming. Yes, I'm lazy, but my ideal is to be able to play these wonderful virtual instruments as much as possible in real time, and not to have to patch things together.

DG

• you guess right. :) But as it is even easier to play samples from RAM and one most often does not need to time stretch all samples real-time I do not see that it would not be possible to achieve. best

• Could we get some more details on how this interfaces with the sequencer (MIDI, or some other method) and the audio outputs?  Pretty please?? :)

• This is kind of OT, but kind of not... While I eagerly await the VE, I'm setting up my 8GB slave machine to run V-Stack and Bidule together. It basically works, but there's a strange thing happening with memory, which I'm sure someone better on Windows than myself can help solve. I load 2.2-ish GB into Bidule and all's well. I start loading up patches in V-Stack and they load up with no problems. My card (RME) is happy, as long as I keep the output separated, and all seems fine. However, going into the Task Manager, I notice that Bidule has seemingly dumped its memory. When I go to play some of the instruments in Bidule, they play, but with lots of crackles. Slowly, the memory in Bidule (Task Manager) starts to rise. So, I'm guessing the system paged out Bidule's memory when I started loading into V-Stack, but how can I prevent this? Is it a VM setting?

• jbm - not sure about your problem - sorry. However, thinking through the new Vienna Ensemble stuff I sure hope that it fully supports automation (e.g. volume/pan) etc from the host DAW. I can't see why it wouldn't but if my memory serves me correctly VStack (when hosted remotely and using Midi Over LAN) wouldn't pick up any automation data at all. Tim

• yeah, automation should certainly be supported. I can't imagine it won't, somehow... Anyway, I boldly set my VM to "No page file", and so far it seems to be holding Bidule's memory while V-Stack loads. Hopefully it won't hit the system max and explode... ;-)

• woohoo! Just under 6GB and everything's running fine! Sweeeeet... Mind you, VE will still be sweeeeeeter (just to get back "on topic").

• Awww dammit .. I want the VE NOW!!!! It's calling to me in my dreams .. I'm literally dreaming about using it. Sure hope it handles better than my dream version .. which sort of went all wibbly wobbly .. as things invariably do in dreams. .... silly defective brain. A shame this doesn't come out a bit sooner .. could have really used this on my latest project, but I guess the infernal machinations of logic and Altiverb are proving ample sound quality. I hope VSL do a whole sequencer next too :D

• What I REALLY want to know is how the audio is routed from the slave to the main DAW computer: by LAN or by audio interfaces? Could you VSL people chime in? It would affect a couple of purchases I plan to do the next couple of weeks.

• I second that, big time.

• last edited
    last edited

@PierreFunck said:

What I REALLY want to know is how the audio is routed from the slave to the main DAW computer: by LAN or by audio interfaces? Could you VSL people chime in? It would affect a couple of purchases I plan to do the next couple of weeks.
    Could be either... If you're on PC, FX-Teleport does a very good job of doing this all on LAN, but it still only runs on Windows. If you have a Mac as either sequencer or slave, then you'll have to go with hardware (audio interface). If you're running Windows on both machines, go to fx-max.com and get the demo of FX-Teleport. If you've got one Mac and one PC, or two Macs, then I'd (personally) get yourself a pair of RME HDSP9652 cards. They're top quality, have 2 ports of midi and 3 ADAT lightpipe ports, wordclock, and they have totally stable and useable 64bit Windows drivers. The only bummer thing is that they're strictly digital, so unless you can use SPDIF out for monitoring, you'll still need some form of analog outs. Personally, I have the HDSP9652 on my slave PC, and an m-audio Profire Lightbridge on the Mac sequencer. This way I can get all the lightpipes from the PC, and monitor through the Profire. Of course, m-audio's drivers kind of suck, and the Profire is nowhere near as snappy, latency-wise, as the RME card (DSP). It's just a matter of how you need to monitor... If you have a digital mixer, or something, then the two RME cards would be brilliant. (In my old setup I also used an RME DIGI96/8 card for monitoring... I still have the card, so I may set that up again soon. Hope that helps. -- J.