Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,126 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

• I totally agree; since when have VSL ever done things by halves? Almost never, thank god.

Another week, Vsl another step closer towards world domination. :D

• One of the main features of VST instruments is that the audio output of plugins is immediately available within the host sequencer; I wouldn't expect this to be any different for VE, and indeed I'd be disappointed if I had to concoct some ropey lash-up to get audio back to the sequencer for further mangling and wrangling.

Even if VE ran standalone, I would be very surprised if I couldn't route its audio output anywhere I wanted to using ASIO rather than copper, since I can already do this with standalone Kontakt instances routed back into Cubase, for example.

I would expect this to work whether or not the actual instruments were hosted on the same computer as the sequencer, since I see VE as a solution to both the problem of managing many instruments within the host, and the problem of scaling many instruments across the computing resources within kicking distance.

Of course, this could be just blithering optimism on my part, based on my belief that VSL actually employ programmers who know what they're doing.

Breathwise, I batedly await real facts from Herb et al; miserywise, I await being put out.

• It is possible that VE itself will be a VST plugin that will allow you to load an arbitrary number of parts (instruments) and assign them to arbitrary MIDI input ports, and the Sequencer would load the VE VST and send MIDI data to it on the various ports and channels. 

Otherwise I have no idea how VE would get the audio back to the sequencer, except, as you said, through ASIO mapping, which would entirely be your doing.  With just over a month away I'd expect more details are available.  Could someone please clarify? :)

• I'm hoping that on remote MACs and/or PCs the VE will allow you to route audio over LAN back into your main DAW, a la FX Teleport!

It's a wish anyway....

•  I'm also hoping that this will replace FXTeleport in my setup. I'm sick of waiting for FXT2!

I also wonder if VE will run cross platform (with a MAC host and PC Slaves). That would be a life-saver!

-Alex

• Has audio, or even MIDI for that matter, over LAN been mentioned by VSL? I haven't read anything like this, so I wouldn't get your hopes up until it is announced.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Has audio, or even MIDI for that matter, over LAN been mentioned by VSL? I haven't read anything like this, so I wouldn't get your hopes up until it is announced.

DG

True, I assumed too much at the onset. I hope the VSL folks post some hard details soon! Alex

• Audio/MIDI over LAN is a whole new ball-o-wax which I seriously doubt VSL would push their hard-earned R&D money at... The fact that Max managed to get it working as well as he did is proof of that mysterious man's skill. It's possible, I suppose, that VSL might implement this, or maybe even license something from Max, but highly improbable, IMHO. --J.

• I think that half the problem with the audio/MIDI over LAN thing is that it has to work with loads of plugs and loads of different systems. With only one player to worry about it could well be less of a problem. Don't forget that VSL came up with the "run outside the DAW" memory dodge years before Logic/Apple did, so they are obviously thinking outside the box. I'm pretty sure that if/when MIR arrives, all controls will be available form the DAW machine, as it would be rather a retrograde step to have to deal with multiple rodents, keyboards and monitors.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I think that half the problem with the audio/MIDI over LAN thing is that it has to work with loads of plugs and loads of different systems. With only one player to worry about it could well be less of a problem. Don't forget that VSL came up with the "run outside the DAW" memory dodge years before Logic/Apple did, so they are obviously thinking outside the box. I'm pretty sure that if/when MIR arrives, all controls will be available form the DAW machine, as it would be rather a retrograde step to have to deal with multiple rodents, keyboards and monitors.

DG

True enough about MIR - in fact, I believe it's already been stated by Dietz that the MIR machine will connect via ethernet, and use metadata from the VIs to adjust its mix settings, in some fashion. However, passing audio over the network is an entirely different problem. Timing issues with something like remote control, or the metadata suggested to be used for MIR, are not really an issue. But for audio this is a huge challenge (latency), and I just can't imagine VSL spending the time/money to write this stuff from the ground up. (Doesn't necessarily rule out licensing it from Max.) Add to that the fact that VE is *free* and I'm __really__ thinking we won't see anything this fancy. Just my opinion, though... they could certainly surprise us all. --J. (btw, how do you get actual carriage returns to work? Mine seem to get ignored.)

• IE6; it just works. [:D]

DG

• I know Midi and Audio over LAN are big jumps for the VSL team, but with a library as big (and expanding) as the VSL one you're going to have to live with multiple machines for many years so a robust solution from them to address this would be money well spent.

If I was doing business development at VSL I'd probably either buy out Max or even the Wormhole guys (who don't know what to do with their s/w) and produce a solution that works just for the VI - which is far easier (as has been mentioned) when you only need to focus on one AU/VST solution rather than a generic one.

I hope the VSL team chips in soon, the suspense is killing me (and no doubt a few others)...

EDIT: And yes the carriage return/line feeds are not working from Safari on OSX10.4 - I've had to use the manual < br=""> tag to make it work....

• However, machines are getting so powerful that now it is possible to run everything from one machine.With both Windows and Mac OS being able to address 16GB RAM, PC farms may temporarily become a thing of the past.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

...PC farms may temporarily become a thing of the past.

DG

ooh, what a lovely thought! ;-)

• But how would I heat my house?

• Hmmm... I notice VST support is listed as only available on PC. :'( Does this mean that Cubase 4 users on Mac will not be able to use Ensemble??? ugh... I hope I misread this. --Leo

• VSL made a mistake on this one first time round. I'm sure that won't happen again, and Mac VST users will be next in line (together with PC RTAS?),

DG

• What about the X-fade option ? any improvement ? [A]

I mean, we'll we have a solution for the "50% chorus bug" ?

• It's not a bug, it's a feature. And no, I doubt it.....

DG

• Hi,

VST for OSX will be available for the Vienna Ensemble, too.

RTAS for PC is not a priority at the moment, it may follow later on.

Best,

Paul 

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL