Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,143 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,985 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• Since I use a Mac as my main DAW, FX Teleport is not an option. FX Teleport 2 (Mac compatible) has been announced for years now, but nobody knows when it'll be ready. I was thinking of buying an audio interface with a lot of digital inputs (for example [url=http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=11320]this one[/url]), but if Vienna Ensemble handled audio by ethernet, this would save me some €1500... anyway, I'll hold off any investment untli Vienna Ensemble is ready!

• Well, I have to say again that I really can't see VSL adding MIDI/Audio LAN streaming to this software. I think the big features are 64-bit support and a VI-centric panning system. I can't imagine they wouldn't list LAN streaming as one of the major features, either, if it were in the works. The tcelectronic unit looks nice, though it doesn't have the number of digital inputs that the Profire has (2 lightpipes vs. 4). But I'd imagine it probably performs better, overall, and it's nice to have the analog options as well. On the other hand, I'm sure FX-Teleport 2 will come out some day. And that will probably be a *very* nice option (and one which I'll very likely choose, as well!) --- J.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I think that half the problem with the audio/MIDI over LAN thing is that it has to work with loads of plugs and loads of different systems. With only one player to worry about it could well be less of a problem.

I totally agree with DG to this point.

I work every day on a complex system based on FX Teleport and VST plugins (both effects and instruments) from at least 10 different manufacturers. And the result is incredibly stable.

Luigi Pulcini.

• True! and on some setup (like mine) LAN causes clicks and clips with the audio card. I know, I'm surely the only one but it's my life's story [*-)]

• Do you want to give more specs for your system? Mine will give occasional clicks (something to do with Network checking) if I am running a huge number of instruments, but other than that it works very well.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

I don't know what kind of suggestion I could give you.

Probably because my system started working flawless from the beginning, so I have no trick or tweak I tested on it. It just worked! [:D]

You can see an image of my setup HERE.

And you can listen to the biggest orchestration I did with it HERE.

And you can see the instrument setup details on the fifth reply HERE.

All my LAN is obviously a Gigabit one.

As I said in other occasions, I reach the RAM bottleneck (2GB), before I can saturate CPU (25%) or LAN (5-6%).

I hope this could help.

Luigi Pulcini.

•  Thanks so much for putting that picture up of your setup! I try and try to understand how others are doing it and, because I am not using a computer farm myself at the moment, I have a very hard time understanding it. The picture helps a lot.

Colin Thomson 

• last edited
    last edited

I think I would have never tried to build a PC farm, if I didn't find the Shuttle XPC mini X100-HA.

When I was in Frankfurt at Musikmesse I saw (with my great pleasure) that VSL Team uses this mini PC as well, to demonstrate its Bosendorfer Library.

You can find any detail at this site: Shuttle mini X100 H

I could pack 6 of this PC into a 6H wall rack unit!!

And if I would expand my system, I just should buy other X100, add them to the rack and connect them to LAN switch. Very expandable!

Luigi Pulcini.