Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,119 users have contributed to 42,649 threads and 256,716 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Tomboman said:

That message was exactly 6 months ago - Any news at all?

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas!

Thank you

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/vsl-synchron-piano-and-apple-m1-confirmed-bug.133865/post-5252224

It seems like they're getting fairly close, but no hard ETAs yet.

• last edited
    last edited

@andy1044 said:

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/vsl-synchron-piano-and-apple-m1-confirmed-bug.133865/post-5252224

It seems like they're getting fairly close, but no hard ETAs yet.

Oh great, that sounds good. Thank you very much!

• Halleluja - that would be fantastic . . . HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023 .... long live Apple Silicon  and ViennaSL.

• Glad it's being worked on!

I just figured out that this is the reason why most of my VST3 plugins weren't showing up in Studio One.

• Every morning I get into the studio I check VSL's homepage, hoping, praying, "today will be the day I see a big beautiful logo for VEP8 w Apple Silicon native support!"  haha.  One can dream....

• last edited
    last edited

@evang42 said:

Every morning I get into the studio I check VSL's homepage, hoping, praying, "today will be the day I see a big beautiful logo for VEP8 w Apple Silicon native support!"  haha.  One can dream....

LOL... +1

frustrating... isn't it? 😞

• Just my every few month check in.  Still ok without it, but I haven't done any of the really big stuff yet.  And fortunately a lot of my instrument settings/setups were saved - so I can run 'em as a plugin (Ivory, Trillium, Omnisphere, newer Spitfire etc) and some inside Kontakt. Everything would be easier if VEP worked.  It's been fun learning work arounds and the capabilities of this machine (Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM).   Pretty astonishing. 

• Just got my Mac Studio! The only thing keeping me back is the native VEP MAS plugin. Hopefully this will be the month..

• I'd love to see how many people check this thread daily. I know I do. 

VSL reeeeeally dropped the ball on taking this long. I keep hoping that Apple would completely discontinue intel just to force them to either deprecate Ensemble or to update it. I wish they'd make it a paid update and focus on it, even if it doesn't have Synchron player updated, so many of us rely on it. 

• last edited
    last edited

@afterlight said:

I'd love to see how many people check this thread daily. I know I do. 

VSL reeeeeally dropped the ball on taking this long. I keep hoping that Apple would completely discontinue intel just to force them to either deprecate Ensemble or to update it. I wish they'd make it a paid update and focus on it, even if it doesn't have Synchron player updated, so many of us rely on it. 

Yeah it caught me off guard. The main thing with Apple Silicon is the GUI differences from Intel Mac and Windows, so I wrongly assumed that because VEP was a modern looking application that the GUI framework was portable to Apple Silicon in a timely manor. For instance Arturia upgraded their plug ins for VST3 and resizable GUIs previous to Apple Silicon being announced, so it was obvious they would be light years ahead of NI who had old GUIs and frameworks for them from in some cases 15 years ago according to their reps. That's not the case though, they obviously have some lower level stuff to deal with, like how NI waited so long they're dealing with VST3, Apple Silicon and resizable GUIs all at once. 

Arturia and Audio Ease are the big ones on my list left now. 

• I check this page at least once a week.  I always thought VSL was one of the better tech companies, not so much any more.  I would have been so happy if they rolled it out in phases, all I need is the VST plugin to be native.  I, like many other people, host all the samples on a PC.  So I only need the bridge to be native.  Then of course they could have rolled out the host software later.

That seems like such a simple concept, but here we are...still waiting...

• last edited
    last edited

@Michael Canavan said:

Yeah it caught me off guard. The main thing with Apple Silicon is the GUI differences from Intel Mac and Windows, so I wrongly assumed that because VEP was a modern looking application that the GUI framework was portable to Apple Silicon in a timely manor. For instance Arturia upgraded their plug ins for VST3 and resizable GUIs previous to Apple Silicon being announced, so it was obvious they would be light years ahead of NI who had old GUIs and frameworks for them from in some cases 15 years ago according to their reps. That's not the case though, they obviously have some lower level stuff to deal with, like how NI waited so long they're dealing with VST3, Apple Silicon and resizable GUIs all at once. 

Arturia and Audio Ease are the big ones on my list left now. 

Developing a stable VST3 host that plays well with most VST3 plugins isn't easy apparently. A lot of developers dislike the VST3 standard and the forced transition to it was very problematic for many of them. 

For me VEP doesn't inspire much confidence lately. After the switch to iLok I keep seeing a lot of new issues - on top of the long-standing problems of VEP7 - on this forum and elsewhere.

I'm disappointed because VEP is a mission critical software for a lot of professionals. This should be the biggest focus of VSL.

Another unfortunate thing that didn't help is that the "big guys" already have 2019 Mac Pros so the pressure isn't as strong. If Apple had moved to AS without releasing the 2019 MP the story would be a lot different with much more complaints and drama.

• last edited
    last edited

@rockdude9k said:

I check this page at least once a week.  I always thought VSL was one of the better tech companies, not so much any more.  I would have been so happy if they rolled it out in phases, all I need is the VST plugin to be native.  I, like many other people, host all the samples on a PC.  So I only need the bridge to be native.  Then of course they could have rolled out the host software later.

That seems like such a simple concept, but here we are...still waiting...

To their credit, on top of VST3, GUIs for modern times, and Apple Silicon.... VSL also recently had to switch from eLicenser to iLok. They IMO shot themselves in the foot inadvertently by not doing VST3 earlier, at least one port would be out of the way. 

the main WTF? moment though is as you state, them not porting the plug in over ASAP. This is IMO a huge financial loss to them since people would have bought the software just to use depreciated or incompatible VSTs on a server machine while running the VEP AU, MAS or VST3 plug in, in their DAW. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

For me VEP doesn't inspire much confidence lately. After the switch to iLok I keep seeing a lot of new issues - on top of the long-standing problems of VEP7 - on this forum and elsewhere.

I'm disappointed because VEP is a mission critical software for a lot of professionals. This should be the biggest focus of VSL.

Another unfortunate thing that didn't help is that the "big guys" already have 2019 Mac Pros so the pressure isn't as strong. If Apple had moved to AS without releasing the 2019 MP the story would be a lot different with much more complaints and drama.

Mostly VEP can't be beat for big projects, I'm betting in the larger setups even the fastest computers out there benefit from taking out hosting tasks from the DAW. 

• Still checking every morning... Any news? It has been already 2 years 2months since first M1.

• I finally decided to upgrade my 2009 Mac Pro last summer. I'm not an early adopter (although I did buy the Symphonic Cube when it came out!) so I thought a couple years should be enough for all my plug-ins and VI developers to catch up so I leisurely migrated my rig to a MAC Studio. I upgraded from VEP5 to 7 only to realize now that it still doesn't support M1! I was shocked to learn that, last thing I was expecting. Should be coming out any time now...

• It certainly has the feel of abandonware at this point. Their strategy of just saying “we aren’t going to give a timeline to avoid disappointment” is just crazy - this is professional software. Even a rough quarter timeline - or a “won’t be this year” so people can plan hardware purchases
it’s just nuts. Tiny companies like audioease which aren’t likely to ever get there, I understand, but apple silicon isn’t going anywhere. My assumption at this point is that it’s basically a from scratch rewrite due to the codebase and they’re just stalling and it may never happen, which is an awful thing to assume but when there’s only endless “can’t say when” answers, hard to know what else to do. I hope that isn’t true. A setup with multiple mac studios would be so elegant.

• It is late January 2023. No VST3 support, no Apple Silicon support (not even the plugins). I really don't know what to say...

• Yeah. One wants to believe. I'd be happy to pay quite a bit for the upgrade.

But it's starting to seem like there's actually a reason it might be impossible, or something, due to the changes in the way the memory works perhaps, or something similar. I guess perhaps it's also about updating everything - synchron player too, and MIR. And making the change to the sampler might be non-trivial. 

But over 2 years later, it's starting to seem like the community and customers deserve at least a timeline. I know they don't want to give a date. But a 'we will be able to do this' and a rough guesstimate of a quarter or even a year in which they might achieve it would go such a long way to helping those with large studios decide what hardware to even purchase.

•   So in the last page directly above the people complaining there's been no indication of a timeline, there's a link to a guy who works for VSL saying that VEP Apple Silicon native is in beta. You can't ask for more than that really. We can guess it's anywhere from one to nine months away at this point, depending on whether they find a major bug in the beta or not. Hopefully that includes VST3 support since if someone wants to host a server on Apple Silicon Kontakt instruments aren't going to play nice outside of AU.