Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,120 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,986 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

The introductory price will be available until the software is released, and we will announce all changes in pricing agead of time. 

45 EUR for an additional upgrade license is the introductory price, like it says on the VE PRO 7 product page

Upgrade Offer
    The upgrade price to Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 is currently ā‚¬75 (reg. ā‚¬95) for the first license, and it includes Epic Orchestra 2.0, free of charge. Additional Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 upgrade licenses are offered at ā‚¬45 (reg. ā‚¬65) each. When you're logged in, the reduced price is automatically shown as ā€œYour Priceā€ if youā€™ve already registered Vienna Ensemble Pro 4, 5 or 6.

Full Purchase
    If youā€™re new to Vienna Ensemble Pro, now is a great time to jump aboard! The introductory price of Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 including Epic Orchestra 2.0 is ā‚¬145 (reg. ā‚¬195). To run Vienna Ensemble Pro on more computers, additional licenses are available at ā‚¬65 (reg. ā‚¬95) each. You may download and install Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 from MyVSL anytime.

Best,
    Paul

But if you look at the left side of the page in the boxes that are just to the left of the 'Details: Epic Orchestra 2.0' paragraphs in the 'additional license' line it only shows one price of 45 euros with nothing that says it's an upgrade or regular full price. Conflicting info.

IF YOU OWN VEP5 and/or 6 that price on the left is for upgrade!!!! I'm sure those of use who owns VEP5 or 6 gets a discount on each license compared to those who do not own neither...Read it again:

VEP by itself costs around $85 approx. The License is $51 approx. This is IF YOU ALREADY OWN VEP5 or 6. The INTRODUCTORY LICENSE price is $164, basically if you do not own it. So each license is going to cost EVERYBODY $51 approx USD because as of right now they are only giving us who upgrade 1 LICENSE which came with the upgrade and we only paid $85. Understand? $85 is not bad with Orchestra 2, but more patches would have been better LOL....

• It goes like this:

If you do not yet own VEP, then the price is 145 Euro's for a single license (normally 195 Euros retail).  

If you own VEP5/6, then the price for upgrading the first one of your existing three licenses is 75 Euros (95 euros retail)  and all the remaining licenses are 45 euro's each (65 Euros retail).

the cost to upgrade my VEP6 licenses, which I just purchased, almost exactly one year ago today for USD$235; is actually higher then what I paid to buy them 1 year ago.  

Sorry VSL, but there is no way I will upgrade at this price point.  Even if it has a few nice new features...you just doubled cost of this software for me and I can't justify it.  

If it turns out that VEP7 is so incredibly better then VEP6 that its completely worth paying for it all over again..maybe I'll reconsider, but I find that highly unlikely.  Doens't matter how many freebie sample libraries you try to toss in.  I find this utterly ridiculous, I will make do with VEP6 for as long as I can.  Maybe VEP8 or VEP9 will get my attention, never know.

• For users who have three or more servers and actually use three or more licenses, I completely understand the objection to the upgrade pricing structure. But how many users have three licenses only because that was the only way the could buy them, and actually need one or two for one or two servers. I don't think folks in the second category should complain as loudly as folks in the first category.

I have no idea how many existing users are in each category.

• The ONLY reason I bought VEP to begin with was in order to run it both together on my DAW machine as well as potentially one more server.  But part of the value to me was that for approximately $250 I knew I could network in my extra laptop in a pinch or whatever...That is part of the value it was sold to me as.  VSL is putting us in a situation now where we have to now choose between downgrading our capability or paying unreasonable amount to continue with the capability we thought we were buying not that long ago.

• 1) Yes, sometimes prices increases, as also the value of a dollar or euros does. 2) Do you usually get customized products when you buy something? Do you criticize Apple because you canā€™t choose to not have the stupid apps like iMovie and thus pay less for your Mac? Does it help telling Apple you donā€™t need it? Or do you get your DAWs cheaper by saying no thanks to the sounds it comes with? Iā€™d try to treat Paul et al with a little bit more respect.

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

The introductory price will be available until the software is released, and we will announce all changes in pricing agead of time. 

45 EUR for an additional upgrade license is the introductory price, like it says on the VE PRO 7 product page

Upgrade Offer
    The upgrade price to Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 is currently ā‚¬75 (reg. ā‚¬95) for the first license, and it includes Epic Orchestra 2.0, free of charge. Additional Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 upgrade licenses are offered at ā‚¬45 (reg. ā‚¬65) each. When you're logged in, the reduced price is automatically shown as ā€œYour Priceā€ if youā€™ve already registered Vienna Ensemble Pro 4, 5 or 6.

Full Purchase
    If youā€™re new to Vienna Ensemble Pro, now is a great time to jump aboard! The introductory price of Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 including Epic Orchestra 2.0 is ā‚¬145 (reg. ā‚¬195). To run Vienna Ensemble Pro on more computers, additional licenses are available at ā‚¬65 (reg. ā‚¬95) each. You may download and install Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 from MyVSL anytime.

Best,
    Paul

But if you look at the left side of the page in the boxes that are just to the left of the 'Details: Epic Orchestra 2.0' paragraphs in the 'additional license' line it only shows one price of 45 euros with nothing that says it's an upgrade or regular full price. Conflicting info.

IF YOU OWN VEP5 and/or 6 that price on the left is for upgrade!!!! I'm sure those of use who owns VEP5 or 6 gets a discount on each license compared to those who do not own neither...Read it again:

VEP by itself costs around $85 approx. The License is $51 approx. This is IF YOU ALREADY OWN VEP5 or 6. The INTRODUCTORY LICENSE price is $164, basically if you do not own it. So each license is going to cost EVERYBODY $51 approx USD because as of right now they are only giving us who upgrade 1 LICENSE which came with the upgrade and we only paid $85. Understand? $85 is not bad with Orchestra 2, but more patches would have been better LOL....

There is no discount on an extra license if you already own a previous version of VEPro. The extra license cost is the same for everyone. And those prices on the left side are for both new and upgrades - you have to be logged in to see your price if you already wn VEPro.

• last edited
    last edited

@McArnes said:

Iā€™d try to treat Paul et al with a little bit more respect.

I have said nothing disrespectful towards anyone here, including Paul.

But doubling the price of my product in a year is not acceptable and I shall definitely voice it.  If VSL wants my business on VEP, they have to be more reasonable about it.  End of story.

• And again, I dont understand why you guys are all upset. Do you know how many times over I have paid for Cubase? Its $150 yearly ($100 for the end of year upgrade and $50 for the mid-year upgrade). Having had a license for Cubase for several years now, I have paid once for Cubase Pro initially ($600), and in the four years Ive had the license, another $600.

Just for comparison, VEP6, in case anyone forgot, was released in late 2016.

Maybe you dont need epic orchestra, and I do completely agree, it is disengenuous for VSL to say you are getting it for free. You arent, you are paying a 30 Euro premium for epic orchestra. However, let me get this straight, you are complaining because the purchase price is 30 Euros higher for the first license? Put this in perspective, how many thousands of dollars have you spent on hardware and software? How much of it turned out to be for something you dont ever use? 30 Euros is the least of my concerns honestly.

As was previously stated, this is VSL pushing people to use Synchron. Personally, I hate the layout. I despise it. I think it was a piss poor decision to split their userbase into two groups. Their sounds should be compatible with both engines, allowing users of a more modern UI to use Synchron, while allowing those that like the look and feel of VI to use Instruments Pro. I have plenty of critiques for VSL, Im no fanboy by any stretch.

However, I see no issue with what VSL is doing here, other than forcing users who wish to upgrade to VEP7 to pay extra for EO. However, its only $30 Euros, and I am a bit biased, I love the epic orchestra 2.0 library, even if it is in the terrible Synchron player ui. Considering I have very few libraries that are any good for sketching (my libraries are all hundreds of gigabytes, thus, by the time they load, Ive taken the dog for a walk, taken a shower, and brushed my teeth), EO in combination with Smart Orchestra are alot of fun.

Oh, and as to my comments about free addons, what the heck is wrong with free addons? You dont have to use them.

• What time will it be announced in detail about the new features?

• last edited
    last edited

@littlewierdo said:

And again, I dont understand why you guys are all upset. Do you know how many times over I have paid for Cubase? Its $150 yearly ($100 for the end of year upgrade and $50 for the mid-year upgrade). Having had a license for Cubase for several years now, I have paid once for Cubase Pro initially ($600), and in the four years Ive had the license, another $600.

Maybe you dont need epic orchestra, and I do completely agree, it is disengenuous for VSL to say you are getting it for free. You arent, you are paying a 30 Euro premium for epic orchestra. However, let me get this straight, you are complaining because the purchase price is 30 Euros higher for the first license? Put this in perspective, how many thousands of dollars have you spent on hardware and software? How much of it turned out to be for something you dont ever use? 30 Euros is the least of my concerns honestly.

As was previously stated, this is VSL pushing people to use Synchron. Personally, I hate the layout. I despise it. I think it was a piss poor decision to split their userbase into two groups. Their sounds should be compatible with both engines, allowing users of a more modern UI to use Synchron, while allowing those that like the look and feel of VI to use Instruments Pro. I have plenty of critiques for VSL, Im no fanboy by any stretch.

However, I see no issue with what VSL is doing here, other than forcing users who wish to upgrade to VEP7 to pay extra for EO. However, its only $30 Euros, and I am a bit biased, I love the epic orchestra 2.0 library, even if it is in the terrible Synchron player ui. Considering I have very few libraries that are any good for sketching (my libraries are all hundreds of gigabytes, thus, by the time they load, Ive taken the dog for a walk, taken a shower, and brushed my teeth), EO in combination with Smart Orchestra are alot of fun.

Oh, and as to my comments about free addons, what the heck is wrong with free addons? You dont have to use them.

Well then of course you should give them your money.  I will not be giving them mine this time.

$500 in one year for VEP is way too much.  sorry.

• Dewdman42 has a point in my opinion. With the upgrade to VE Pro 7 you either get downgraded from three licenses to just one, or you have to pay double the price of what the upgrade to VE Pro 6 cost. Advertising this as a new 'feature' feels disingenuous to me (in fact, it is the only 'feature' currently communicated apart from the integrated fx). If you feel you have to double the price of a software, please be upfront about it and explain why you feel it's necessary.

What is happening is that VSL is either downgrading us to one license for VE Pro 7, or asking double the price for three licenses. That is a substantial downgrade, or a hefty price increase. In my opinion, good marketing would have tried to explain it. Instead I feel as being taken for a fool.

• Do you know the Spitfire LABS-Series? It is free and NEW for EVERYBODY; not only for a few people. Let's say ... the Viennese would recorda few Subbasses of their Film-Organ. It stands in the Hall anyway. They do not have to order a musician for this and the Editing would be less (no Dynamics). Herb said in an interview that this Subbass is an important part of the Puzzle and that is better than a Synth Subbass for the orchestral context. I think he is right. THAT would be a great present for EVERYBODY. I hope you understand the difference.

• last edited
    last edited

@littlewierdo said:

And again, I dont understand why you guys are all upset. Do you know how many times over I have paid for Cubase? Its $150 yearly ($100 for the end of year upgrade and $50 for the mid-year upgrade). Having had a license for Cubase for several years now, I have paid once for Cubase Pro initially ($600), and in the four years Ive had the license, another $600.

1. Cubase doesnĀ“t have a mid year $50 upgrade, is always in December and it is $100 for .0 versions and $50 for .5 versions. So, it is $150 in two years. VSL is asking us a lot more to be able to continue using the three licenses.

2. You are not getting it straight IĀ“m afraid, we are not complaining about paying 30 euros more for EO, we are taking issue with the lack of communication about the licenses downgrade. Now we are facing rebuying the software again every couple of years to stay current because of the new licenses policy. That is not an upgrade policy, if we have to spend more than we payed the first time.

I appreciate that you feel the need to stand up for VSL business decisions but I would like an official response about the licenses downgrade, and why the upgrade now is costing more than what I payed the first time

• last edited
    last edited

@littlewierdo said:

1. Cubase doesnĀ“t have a mid year $50 upgrade, is always in December and it is $100 for .0 versions and $50 for .5 versions. So, it is $150 in two years. VSL is asking us a lot more to be able to continue using the three licenses.

2. You are not getting it straight IĀ“m afraid, we are not complaining about paying 30 euros more for EO, we are taking issue with the lack of communication about the licenses downgrade. Now we are facing rebuying the software again every couple of years to stay current because of the new licenses policy. That is not an upgrade policy, if we have to spend more than we payed the first time.

I appreciate that you feel the need to stand up for VSL business decisions but I would like an official response about the licenses downgrade, and why the upgrade now is costing more than what I payed the first time

Agreed on the latter point. It's the almost total lack of communication from Paul & Vienna on not just the licensing fiasco but also what features are in version 7. Paul's hiding behind a smokescreen of 'we'll tell you about it when it drops'. To that I would add: 'give us your money now as we're very short on funds'.

I'm wondering something: where does the 30 euro more for EO come in?

• It is all just a big old marketing fumble, period!

If VSL would have announced all the VEP 7 feature candy that was coming, and it was seen as good stuff, noone would be whining about upgrade costs. We'd be whining about how long we have to wait to get our hands on it.

The pitch was misguided to think that most of us would care about EPIC. Like many users of VEP,  I got thousands $$$ tied up in VSL sample libraries. The cost of VEP, or its upgrades, is really trivial by comparison.

I dont care about EPIC update. Sure, it is nice, but I am more interested...like many...as to what VEP 7 brings to the party.

You guys can put this all to bed by just announcing the new features that will be in VEP 7. If you dont know yet, then why even announce it at all? It's like telling the kids we will go to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard...someday. They got some awesome new flavors. Your little kids are like "I wanna go now"..."when can we go"..."what flavors"?

If you dont know the prodcut features of VEP7 at this very moment, it likely means you are probably 12+ months out from a release of VEP 7.  If so, it makes no sense to announce anything. 

Hence...the marketing fumble.

• "If VSL would have announced all the VEP 7 feature candy that was coming, and it was seen as good stuff, noone would be whining about upgrade costs."

Remember, whining is your choice.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • last edited
    last edited

I brough mine last BKFR, and for shure with no grace period, pay again 120ā‚¬ for the 2 licence i need is not cheap for a simple hobbist.

But the fact that all the intro price is based on "buy it 'll have great feature" and will expire BEFORE features annoncement is little too much for the average hobbist ... it's a software not a lottery ticket ... šŸ˜ƒ

BTW i brought it, internal fx are always a great improvement, and i'm shure it will be a great version despite a bad annoncement !

• last edited
    last edited

@Bill said:

Remember, whining is your choice.

Agreed...but I am not whining...I am pointing out the whole basis for the whining many others are doing.

I will upgrade, I always do. I dont worry about the cost. If it has the features I want, and isnt a buggy mess, I will be all over it...no matter what the price point. However...my setup works just fine as it is, so I probably wont be an early adopter. 

• Vienna isnt removing a license. You KEEP your 3 VEP6 licenses. By doing the upgrade, each license upgrade ADDS a VEP7 license to your existing VEP6 licenses.

I have 3 VEP6 licenses. I bought 1 upgrade. I now have 3 VEP6 licenses and 1 VEP7 license.

[URL=https://s1177.photobucket.com/user/littlewierdo1979/media/VSL6%20%207.png.html][IMG]https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/littlewierdo1979/VSL6%20%207.png[/IMG][/URL]

As to Cubase, yes, I just looked, I guess they upgrade only yearly, but it certainly feels like twice a year, so thanks for the correction.. It is still an expensive upgrade, Ive had it for 4 years and paid $300 to upgrade it.

• last edited
    last edited

@littlewierdo said:

Vienna isnt removing a license. You KEEP your 3 VEP6 licenses. By doing the upgrade, each license upgrade ADDS a VEP7 license to your existing VEP6 licenses.

I have 3 VEP6 licenses. I bought 1 upgrade. I now have 3 VEP6 licenses and 1 VEP7 license.

[URL=https://s1177.photobucket.com/user/littlewierdo1979/media/VSL6%20%207.png.html][IMG]https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x353/littlewierdo1979/VSL6%20%207.png[/IMG][/URL]

As to Cubase, yes, I just looked, I guess they upgrade only yearly, but it certainly feels like twice a year, so thanks for the correction.. It is still an expensive upgrade, Ive had it for 4 years and paid $300 to upgrade it.

I think VEP6 and VEP7 canĀ“t coexist (correct me if I am wrong) and cannot communicate (Paul said so).

So, again, if you need to work with three computers and want to upgrade to VEP7 to stay current, you are missing two licenses, and you have to buy them

Adding just one VEP7 license to your three VEP6 licenses doesnĀ“t work for people with multisystems, I donĀ“t think is very hard to understand.

As for Cubase, you are correct saying that you paid $300 over 4 years, and with VEP new price policy, people who bought VEP for networking several computers (itĀ“s primary objetive when it was released) would pay almost double than that in four years (about 250 euros per two years)

I understand your wish to stand up for Paul and company, and I have nothing but respect for them. I donĀ“t mind that VSL would like to hike prices, or change policy, also I realize that the company doesnĀ“t owe me an explanation for its business decisions, but I would appreciate one or two lines about it, instead of talking about the Taiko library.