Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,958 users have contributed to 42,268 threads and 254,960 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 7 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Come on guys, give them the chance to announce it before you start nagging and complaining? It’s OK to ask questions, I did too, but try to relax a little.

• We shall see what they announce in the coming days about new features, but I will say for sure, with the information currently available I will absolutely NOT be upgrading.  They have structured the product and pricing to attract new users and that is fine, but buyer beware, existing users are getting hosed by this pricing structure, they have essnetially doubled the upgrade price if you are a multi-server user, or put another way, cut by 2/3 the benefit you receive by upgrading.

All the stuff about Epic Orch and Vienna Suite...again..very nice for new users...the price for a new user to dabble with VEP has just dropped dramtically and it provides more features then ever.  Great for them, but those of us using the product for some time, don't need either of those two things, we are getting along with other third party products and/or VSL Cube or whatever since a long time ago.  So this represents no real new value to us, just a rather expensive upgrade for who knows what.

When we find out more information about what is in VEP7 I will reconsider, but at this point in time I can see no value add whatsoever and I think their new pricing is ridiculous for anyone that bought this product thinking they'd be able to have 2-3 computers networked together...and now they are coming to find out its going to cost double the price to upgrade every time there is new version in the future.

VSL has a monopoly on this product at this time, they can do as they please because of that.  Perhaps in the future I will be forced to upgrade due to OS upgrade or something, and frankly its going to piss me off.  But it is what it is, there is no real competitive product, if there was most of us would probably take a hard look at it about now, but there isn't, so VSL can do as it pleases.  For my part, as long as VEP6 is working well, I see no reason to upgradw whatsoever, unless they announce some absolutely compelling and worthwhile workflow improvements of some kind.  THe stuff they have announced about VIenna Suite and Epic ORch is of absolutely no use or value to me, and probably to most other existing VEP users that have been using it a while.

• How long is the pre-order introductory price available? 

• Hi Paul,

Do you know the day when the VE Pro 7 will be downloadable ?

I have the license yet (purchased just today).

Regards,

José Candela

Madrid

• So, I'm new here and one of VSL's likely targeted customers.

I bought the 3-license pack for VEP6 a couple months ago and am getting around to installing it this week. I also bought one key. 

My thought has been:

- Install VEP7 & Epic Orch 1 on my main studio Windows PC (with 32GB RAM), install on my Mac (16 GB RAM), and also install on my secondary home PC.

- This would give me options of working independently on all 3 systems. AND to use my main studio PC (as slave) in conjunction with my Mac (as Master), if found to be a beneficial workflow. 

I thought I was set. Now, I'm wondering:

1. Would I need a 2nd key for this master/slave configuration (i.e. 1 key per computer? Or just one key for the Master machine?)

Now, I've got a whole new set of questions, like many of you longer term customers, presuming that I pre-order the VEP7 single license and the included single license of EO2 (which I likely WOULD use - I think it sounds amazing, and there's no duplication for me at this point).

2. Can I install the EO2 on each of my 3 computers to utilize separately, as long as I carry/transfer the license key? (i.e. I can still use 1 license on multiple computers, right? Just limited to one at a time, right?) I guess I'm assuming that the "license" is for both VEP7 and EO2. Is that a correct assumption?

Now things get less clear for me:  (remember, I'm new and haven't set this up even VEP6 yet.)

3. If I want to do the Master/Slave approach, then VSL is telling us that I'd need to buy a 2nd VEP7 license, right? (one license only works for single machines.)

4. So, let's say that I want to play their EO2 orch from the Salve PC running Logic on the Master Mac: I do NOT need to buy a 2nd EO2 copy to do Master-Slave, correct?

5. The promo mentions using and buying multiple licenses for multiple instances of VEP7. In what scenario would I use more than 1 instance of VP7 on a single master or slave computer? (Or is this referring to using multiple slave PCs?) 

Thanks to you kind users, in advance, who can answer my questions. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Psalmster said:

So, I'm new here and one of VSL's likely targeted customers.

I bought the 3-license pack for VEP6 a couple months ago and am getting around to installing it this week. I also bought one key. 

My thought has been:

- Install VEP7 & Epic Orch 1 on my main studio Windows PC (with 32GB RAM), install on my Mac (16 GB RAM), and also install on my secondary home PC.

- This would give me options of working independently on all 3 systems. AND to use my main studio PC (as slave) in conjunction with my Mac (as Master), if found to be a beneficial workflow. 

I thought I was set. Now, I'm wondering:

1. Would I need a 2nd key for this master/slave configuration (i.e. 1 key per computer? Or just one key for the Master machine?)

Now, I've got a whole new set of questions, like many of you longer term customers, presuming that I pre-order the VEP7 single license and the included single license of EO2 (which I likely WOULD use - I think it sounds amazing, and there's no duplication for me at this point).

2. Can I install the EO2 on each of my 3 computers to utilize separately, as long as I carry/transfer the license key? (i.e. I can still use 1 license on multiple computers, right? Just limited to one at a time, right?) I guess I'm assuming that the "license" is for both VEP7 and EO2. Is that a correct assumption?

Now things get less clear for me:  (remember, I'm new and haven't set this up even VEP6 yet.)

3. If I want to do the Master/Slave approach, then VSL is telling us that I'd need to buy a 2nd VEP7 license, right? (one license only works for single machines.)

4. So, let's say that I want to play their EO2 orch from the Salve PC running Logic on the Master Mac: I do NOT need to buy a 2nd EO2 copy to do Master-Slave, correct?

5. The promo mentions using and buying multiple licenses for multiple instances of VEP7. In what scenario would I use more than 1 instance of VP7 on a single master or slave computer? (Or is this referring to using multiple slave PCs?) 

Thanks to you kind users, in advance, who can answer my questions. 

Q1:

No, you only need ONE key and ONE license for the Slave machine. You are gona to run VEP server and load your EO2 on the Slave. No key is needed on Master because the instance will be connected in via VEP plugin in your DAW.

Q2:

Yes, you install the library and use one at a time. If you want it work at the same time on 3 slave machine, you have to buy 2 additional keys.

For the VEP itself, more licenses are needed on multiple slave machines.

The license of VEP and EO2 are separate, they are not the same. Just download them into a key and you r good to go.

Q3:

No. For ONE Master ONE Slave network system, you need ONE license and ONE key.

The 2nd key is a must for a system of ONE Master TWO Slave.

Q4:

Right, on your Master, it runs the DAW only and no library installed. You are streaming from Slave machine, that's how it work in this case.

Q5:

ld Q1,2,3

1 license and 1 key for each slave machine.

What I concern is that more effort on debug should be done before they release the new version/product. I came across a freeze problem when I deleted  a channel which the Synchron player was loaded in VEP 6. They just fixed it recently with a update at 09/2. I had no choice but to leave my Smart Orchestral staying in the corner during a month. 

• Hello Paul, 

Looking forward to this new offering.

Up until now, I used the "VE Epic Orchestra.xml" soundset in Sibelius when working with sounds of the 'EPIC orchestra' in VE Pro 6.  

I just bought VEP 7 and downloaded the bundled samples for "EPIC Orchestra 2.0". Given that this new package has all kinds of sound types, what soundset shall I have to use in Sibelius when VEP 7 becomes available?

Tks

Gil

• Hey Paul - the reply is a little helpful but the real questions are these:

- I have nine licenses. Do I really have to pay 45 euros to upgrade each and every single one and buy an orchestra I likely won't use (I didn't use the old epic orchestra) at a total of over 400 euros?

- and because of that.....this is a .0 release. Is the price tag of the upgrade commensurate with the new feature set?

- is any further bug fixing taking place in VE Pro 6?

If we don't want epic orchestra, are we forced into buying it to keep upgrading VE Pro?

Thanks!

• I guess those questions aren't important, then.

• Hi, 

I am waiting for a few questions and will try to answer with generally applicable answers and with what I can tell you right now.

For very specific requests, please contact us directly: support@vsl.co.at

The general part: 

No one forces anyone here, at least from our perspective.  
    We are announcing a new version of Vienna Ensemble Pro and have not even mentioned any specifics yet. 

VE Pro 6 works very well, and if you like the features of VE Pro 7 (maybe after you have tested it in your environment with a free demo license), you can upgrade with a simple system, with separate licenses. 

VE Pro 6 will get updates when necessary, but of course our development efforts will go into VE Pro 7. 

Epic Orchestra is a FREE add-on product/license for all VE Pro 7 users. A great opportunity to REALLY work with our samples and check out our new Synchron Player and see if it fits in your existing template/taste/style. It's free. 

@afterlight: Isn't it cool that you can use 9 computers the way you do now? We are only trying to make this even better. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

I am waiting for a few questions and will try to answer with generally applicable answers and with what I can tell you right now.

For very specific requests, please contact us directly: support@vsl.co.at

The general part: 

No one forces anyone here, at least from our perspective.  
    We are announcing a new version of Vienna Ensemble Pro and have not even mentioned any specifics yet. 

VE Pro 6 works very well, and if you like the features of VE Pro 7 (maybe after you have tested it in your environment with a free demo license), you can upgrade with a simple system, with separate licenses. 

VE Pro 6 will get updates when necessary, but of course our development efforts will go into VE Pro 7. 

Epic Orchestra is a FREE add-on product/license for all VE Pro 7 users. A great opportunity to REALLY work with our samples and check out our new Synchron Player and see if it fits in your existing template/taste/style. It's free. 

@afterlight: Isn't it cool that you can use 9 computers the way you do now? We are only trying to make this even better. 

Best, 
    Paul

I think what wrankles more than a few people is no mention of what the new features are other than some nebulous statements. Add to that no mention how long the intro price lasts especially for those of us that already have VEPro 6.

As far as how long before version 7 drops I don't care as it's better to take the time to get it right. Been a part of developers rushing s/w out the door to meet some target date and said s/w has more bugs than a Warner Brothers cartoon. YOu only need to look at the oissues people are having with Digital Performer 10 to see where I'm coming from.

• "I think what wrankles more than a few people is no mention of what the new features are other than some nebulous statements."

Details are coming; gorw up!

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • last edited
    last edited

I dont understant why VSL is anouncing VE PRO 7 with no details

I wont buy with my wide eye shut ðŸ˜®

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Just thought I'd point out that I paid 85 euros for three licences when I upgraded fro 5 to 6. 75 euros for one licence seems a bit steep...

• Mohsohshenski - 

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer -- and with such clarity!

• last edited
    last edited

@Bill said:

"I think what wrankles more than a few people is no mention of what the new features are other than some nebulous statements."

Details are coming; gorw up!

You're not my parent so don't tell me what to do. Vienna shouldn't have put this announcement out without at elast some details of what's new.

• Always excited to hear about a new version of VE pro. I love the software.

But I am also really surprised about the extra charging for each license. I bought the first VE pro and supported always the software. And it was always a 3 license deal until now. At least for owners of the previous version this pricing structure should be Grandfathered. 

This comes across as being Corporate-type idealogy - Benefiting new users to attrack more new users, instead of Loyal long-time customers who paid for every updagrade until this point. 

Curious what the new features will be. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

It's also cool that I can drive my car....but I did pay for it.

I think the problem many professional users who have numerous licenses have is simply that the upgrade price of 400+ euros (for me) for a completely unannounced feature set is...silly. Really silly. 

And I'd take issue with the "works well". It works well sometimes. Other times (like closing sequences) it crashes repeatedly. I've just learned to live with that because I have projects and deadlines. I'd pay 400 euros for it to be stable, frankly.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, I love the software, I just think you're seeing a lot of negativity here for a really good reason, and some of us like your software and wouldn't even look twice at the samples...a starter orchestra isn't of interest.

And the few conversations I've had with other composers around LA I've only heard negative reactions. I hope it's worthy of a .0 upgrade and the asking price or I think quite a few people will be quite grumpy. But, look, what do I know, I've only been doing this for two decades and I've been a customer of yours only since...pretty much day one minute one on the Vienna Ensemble side.

• And I appreciate that you're trying to improve it - we love that! But listen to your community. Lots have seen this announcement and said exactly what I'm saying. We don't know it all, and we don't know what you have planned, but inviting us to part with a solid chunk of cash....for software we won't get for a while and no way to ascertain the value of the upgrade, and changing the pricing structure in a way that benefits new users and frankly, shafts prior users? 

It's not a good look. I mean, hey, at least grandfathering an option....or a price to upgrade the three-pack so it's a little more commensurate with an upgrade...or telling us why it's worth the amount asked? Wouldn't be a bad idea. 

• last edited
    last edited

@David Molina said:

Wow, I would really hate to have you all as customers. They haven't disclosed all the details yet and you guys are already whinning about things you don't know yet. Just be patient and wait for them to reveal all the details. Once they reveal everything and you still don't like it, send them an email. Amazing.

😄