Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,356 users have contributed to 42,221 threads and 254,767 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• Yes Paul, I read the new VE PRO manual and assingned 48 ports on both computers. Earlier the port number was 16, so even that doesn't explain why there are only 3 functioning ports. I guess the problem is in the midi environment, but I'm not sure. If it is, I don't have the required skills to solve it. There are other minor problems with the template too. VE Pro 1 MIDI Port 17 track stack contains 16 tracks that are named VE Pro 1_14 1 to VE Pro 1_14 16 and there are other stacks which contain tracks with a different port number in their name that the track stack header says. Then there is VE Pro 1 MIDI Port 19 track stack which contains no midi tracks but only these 'no output' tracks. But ultimately I don't think these thigs have anything to do with my original problem.

• Hi Sami, 

I´ll check the MIDI numbering asap, sorry about that. These MIDI tracks can easily be reassigned manually, but of course they should be assigned correctly right away. 

But you are right, that doesn´t have anything to do with your MIDI Port problem. 

Unfortunately I don´t have an idea what else could be wrong if it´s not the preferences. I assume you are using the latest VE PRO versions on both computers, of course, and that you have restarted VE PRO on your slave computer after you changed the Preference settings. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Yes and yes. VE PRO versions are the latest on both computers and I have restarted VE PRO after I changed the settings. 'VE Pro 1 Main' is working perfectly no matter which computer I connect it to but in 'VE Pro 2 Main' only the first three ports function no matter which computer I connect it to.

• I can't wait to see AU v3 becoming reality with OS X 10.11 as I got feedback regarding this from within I am sure in a year from now Logic users will be able to use AU v3 spec VEP server interface with the same benefits vst3 users can. Thanks to you guys to constantly trying to find a solution around the AU v2 spec limitations ;) Hats up

• I am a huge fan of using VE Pro with Logic  and as Paul knows I am directly responsible for lots of people buying it, but while the VSL guys have done an admirable job with the Multipoort layer IMHO it is far from the cleanest and most efficient way to use the two together.,

My advice? Use  VE Pro "projects" (v-frames) like lines on a score page, one for Violin 1 with its various articvulations, another for Violin 2, etc.

Connect each to a stereo instance of the server plugin in Logic Pro with as many MIDI channels as you need. (Typically with the EW Hollywood Orchestra e.g. 8 or so well chosen articulations will give you all you need 90% of the time) For realy excellent workflow buy Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher 2 or the AG Toolkit  Pro and  you can move between the articulations while recording on a single track. 1 track = 1 instrument. Isn't that what most of us want?

Best CPU core distribution, most natural workflow for those classically trained, and least complicated, 

• last edited
    last edited

@sambosun said:

I can't wait to see AU v3 becoming reality with OS X 10.11 as I got feedback regarding this from within I am sure in a year from now Logic users will be able to use AU v3 spec VEP server interface with the same benefits vst3 users can.

Thanks to you guys to constantly trying to find a solution around the AU v2 spec limitations 😉
    Hats up

I am register for Beta 10.11

I will report if VSL is ok to send me the VE for AU3 Beta

I just pray that we will have the Logic Expression Maps with it ! (can you go in Logic main menu and request it in Logic Pro Feedback)

This morning I had a message from Logic asking me to upgrade osascript, does anybody know what osascript does ?

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@sambosun said:

I can't wait to see AU v3 becoming reality with OS X 10.11 as I got feedback regarding this from within I am sure in a year from now Logic users will be able to use AU v3 spec VEP server interface with the same benefits vst3 users can.

Thanks to you guys to constantly trying to find a solution around the AU v2 spec limitations 😉
    Hats up

I just pray that we will have the Logic Expression Maps with it ! (can you go in Logic main menu and request it in Logic Pro Feedback)

Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher 2 for all practical purposes gives you "Logic Expression Maps." 

• last edited
    last edited

@sambosun said:

I can't wait to see AU v3 becoming reality with OS X 10.11 as I got feedback regarding this from within I am sure in a year from now Logic users will be able to use AU v3 spec VEP server interface with the same benefits vst3 users can.Thanks to you guys to constantly trying to find a solution around the AU v2 spec limitations ;)Hats up
    I just pray that we will have the Logic Expression Maps with it ! [b](can you go in Logic main menu and request itin Logic Pro Feedback)[/b] Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher 2 for all practical purposesgives you "Logic Expression Maps." As does the AG Toolkit Pro. I totally agree. I'm using the AG Toolkit since the first day of its existence!

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher 2 for all practical purposes gives you "Logic Expression Maps." As does the AG Toolkit Pro.

It's a pitty that those solutions does not work from the score like Cubase Expression Maps does

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Since I always play my parts in rather than step enter, I would not want that.

• last edited
    last edited

@Ashermusic said:

Since I always play my parts in rather than step enter, I would not want that.

Up to you 😉

If you need to provide the  score to a real orchestra you have to do the work twice

• That is a fair point.

• FWIW, after many attempts over many years to get Logic to either automatically enter score symbols "on input" in response to live-played articulation switching events, or, to transform manually entered score symbols into those same events (or MIDI channel selection), it's just not possible. There are limitations and bugs all over the place.

I don't want to take advantage of the forum to hawk my wares, but at least with my SkiSwitcher2 system you can apply articulation selection directly to notes in the score or any other editor, and then use your sense of musicianship to place score symbols as appropriate. 

Reading earlier in the thread, I've been wondering for a while now why the multi-port layer transformers used such a complicated process. The Transformer's Copy/Reverse Order process has always been quite reliable.

Regards,

Peter Schwartz

• last edited
    last edited

@ski said:

Reading earlier in the thread, I've been wondering for a while now why the multi-port layer transformers used such a complicated process. The Transformer's Copy/Reverse Order process has always been quite reliable.

Peter Schwartz

As I send them this fix, apparently the VSL man that wrote the Multi port did not know the function ;)))))))))

• last edited
    last edited

:))  Congratulations on supplying the fix!  💡

• last edited
    last edited

@ski said:

I don't want to take advantage of the forum to hawk my wares, but at least with my SkiSwitcher2 system you can apply articulation selection directly to notes in the score or any other editor, and then use your sense of musicianship to place score symbols as appropriate. 

I had a look to your site, I did not see the articulation change printed in the score window

• last edited
    last edited

@ski said:

I had a look to your site, I did not see the articulation change printed in the score window

It isn't,  you have to add them with "your sense of musicianship."

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

Thanks for having a look! But as I said above, adding score symbols in conjunction with selection articulations is not possible. So... getting notes to each select their own articulations is one thing. Score markup is another. 

• last edited
    last edited

@ski said:

It isn't,  you have to add them with "your sense of musicianship."

When you give a score to an Orchestra, articulation should be printed

• Well, of course, but you have to enter them as text, which I have been doing since 1990.