Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,374 users have contributed to 42,222 threads and 254,772 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Ha! I could point you to mixes I did which would make you reconsider that wish. ;-D

I find that hard to believe [:)]

• Dietz have done Mirx - and that is, in my view, much closer than anyone else to "Pretty Mix Switch" :)

• Apologies, I got my wires crossed somewhere, I vaguely remember hearing somewhere on here that Dimension Woodwinds wouldn't be necessary, and must have confused that with Herb's comments in the Dimension Strings interview about the differences in chord arrangements for woodwinds.

All I could suggest is that I'd love to see one or two video tutorials with Guy taking us through the process of making one of his demos, from start to finish, so that we could see not just articulation choices, but also mixing and workflow, and I could hopefully work out why his pieces sound so much better than mine...

Pyre

• last edited
    last edited

@Pyre said:

Apologies, I got my wires crossed somewhere, I vaguely remember hearing somewhere on here that Dimension Woodwinds wouldn't be necessary, and must have confused that with Herb's comments in the Dimension Strings interview about the differences in chord arrangements for woodwinds.

I didn't mean to imply that Herb never said this, apologies! Just that I don't recall the source of the comments we're discussing.  

• I wouldn't be surprised if they finally released the strings as DL Insturments.  They've covered pretty much everything from the major collections to individual instruments, so I'm feeling like it might be time for the Solo Strings to become DL Instruments.

• As far as wish-lists go... some extended techniques for any of the string libraries would be a lovely evolution. And with respect to a "Beat Kaufmann" switch, an algorithm, or algorithms, for analyzing phrases for figures, period structure, arsis-thesis structures, etc. might provide a way to auto-assign articulations. A learning system could infer a composer's style and provide custom assignments based analysis of previous works and their signatures, a la the work of David Cope. None of this is science fiction anymore!

• last edited
    last edited

@jhstrong said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they finally released the strings as DL Insturments.  They've covered pretty much everything from the major collections to individual instruments, so I'm feeling like it might be time for the Solo Strings to become DL Instruments.

They already are DL instruments, aren't they?  I downloaded all of DS.

• I meant as Single Instruments.  My apologies.  Like, I could be able to download just the single violin or single viola.

• Aah that makes more sense!

• Detailed, written documentation, please.

• Here are my suggestions:

A violin section where the bowing uses different directions while playing various sustained notes and legato. For example: if you have 14 players, 7 would play legato and/or sustain up-bow and the other 7 players would play down-bow.

I would love to have open strings for solo, chamber, and orchestral strings.

While I am dreaming I will suggest Baroque instruments.

• Another month of Discounts !  

But, still nothing new announced  [:^)]

Maybe Sept. ? or Oct. ? ..... or 2015 ? ... ? 

• Usually ( but not always)  in the mid Fall , VSL has student discounts. I doubt that anything new comes in that period...it would be nice though;) . Maybe after ..or could be 2015.

• I'd love to see an update of Vienna Instruments Pro that makes editing Dimension Strings easier. I'd also like a choir library with realistic text rendering. Nobody has managed to do this successfully IMHO, so perhaps it's up to VSL to show them how it's done [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@esperlad said:

For example: if you have 14 players, 7 would play legato and/or sustain up-bow and the other 7 players would play down-bow.

I would love to have open strings for solo, chamber, and orchestral strings.

Well, one of your dreams has come true.  Dimension Strings has open strings, and the option to automatically "force" them or avoid them as you wish.

As for your other request, I don't see why you would want your players to use different bowing from one another.  So much of string bowing is cenetered around the most natural way to play a line, and any good conductor would keep that mostly consistent.  Sure you'll have one or two players who sometimes feel more comfortable bowing differently, but that's the exception, not the rule, and most lines have a very obvious natural rhythm to a string player.  Downbeats will tend to suggest a stronger downbow, upbeats will tend to suggest a lighter upbow, if there's a longer sustained note coming up they'll alter their bowing to prepare for it, etc.  Rather than to make an option where half the players use a downbow vs the other players using an upbow, I'd love to see an option to control the starting bow and the bowchanges thereafter.  The difference is subtle but it could potentially breathe some more life into the samples.  In my opinion it's too subtle to really worry much about, though.

• Will we see new and exciting VSL products in Sept. ? or just another discount offer ? 

• Semesters are beginning, so Student Discounts = September Discounts.

I am waiting for Software-Upgrades and new Roompacks too. String-Singleinstruments for the Freedom of choosing Second Violins from another Collection would he a Highlight as well.

• There haven't been any updates to VEP and VIP for almost 3 months, so I would guess there are new versions in the works.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Before Vienna Imperial, I don't think there was much discussion about the benefit of 100 velocity layers, but of course the result is astonishing. Perhaps we'll see orchestral instruments with more velocity layers, although it was necessary to have a machine play the Boesendorfer to get the velocities accurate enough- so I don't see so many layers in the near future. With Dimension instruments it's possible to simulate the effect of intermediate velocities, but it would be fascinating to hear what more layers would do for the solo instruments.

I'd love to know what's going on behind the scenes at the moment.

• I still have hopes for open strings. I would like them for the solo strings. I'd love to get Dimention Strings, but I could only get them one section at a time. I hope that option will be made avaliable.