Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,952 users have contributed to 42,268 threads and 254,960 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 7 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• While you can't do exactly one section at a time, it IS possible to make three payments at Sweetwater.  It's been a very convenient way for me to buy things in the past!

As for open strings, the Solo Strings Extended library has non-vibrato samples, I'd use those where I want open strings.

• How much notice would be typical for a new VSL release? We know that there will be some sort of expansion for Dimension Brass at some stage, but going on past form, is it likely that a new release could appear like a bolt from the blue?

• last edited
    last edited

@johnstaf said:

How much notice would be typical for a new VSL release? We know that there will be some sort of expansion for Dimension Brass at some stage, but going on past form, is it likely that a new release could appear like a bolt from the blue?

Out of the blue is kind of probable 😉   ...it could be that I don't remember this correctly, but Dimension Strings violins were simply announced one day in a newsletter without anybody having a clue of project's existance (if somebody remembers any sort of a pre-release announcement to DS, feel free to correct me....)

• I think in the days before the vsti was created and and the samples were in the GigaStudio format is when there were pre-release announcements. It would be nice to know what is coming soon. If nothing else, so people won't fuss as much about a certain instrument being recorded and issued. The upcoming information could be "simple" with the understanding that until a finalized announcement, anything can change including sample content and prices.

I still have hopes for Baroque instruments. This should please users who are wanting altnerate solo strings (such as a second solo violin).

As for the open strings, I have used non-vibrato samples as a work-around. I still would like to have actual recordings of open strings.

• A Second Solo Vio ... no, away ... verlorene Kilometer / lost kilometers ... wie Herb immer sagt ... [au]

Open Strings ... I don't know if the masses want that. The question is ... what do most People look for.

What I find strange is that there are topics that VSL "touched" but never completed. I mean not only the Choir or the Solo-Singers, But also for example the Rock and Hard Rock area. They recorded Overdrive, but then ... nothing ... no Rock-drums, no Bass Guitar and so on ... It always Looks like they tested Products, but maybe the people were not really interested in f. ex. Overdrive or maybe the Choir.

So I think this is why they go on focussing on classic Instruments after all. And that is fine for most People here. [;)]

But I can understand the People who are lost a little, because they have no idea if there is a Development for these existing Products or not.

It would be good to know about Plans of "existing Products" - while Brandnew Products should of course be developed in silence.

• I thought the DS announcement was a bit in advance, but the violin section was already finished, so deadlines were pretty solid.  Newer sample libraries tend to have so much going on that many companies, including VSL, tend not to announce anything at all until the products are release-ready, which I think was the case with the violin section of DS.

• Oh... well... Here we are approaching Oct. 2014 ,  

So.... Will we finally see something new from VSL  ?  (Not just another Discount Announcement) ! 

• Herb has already said that there will be an extension to Dimension Brass, and Dietz has often mentioned future plans for MIR, so they are not entirely secretive. I'd love to know what else is being planned long term. Perhaps Dimension Woodwinds?

I found the idea of the Low Brass section in Dim Brass and interesting departure. I wonder if continuing the development of non-unison Dimension instruments has potential, although it would be surprising if VSL took the idea much further -it's not Symphobia after all [;)]

• I'm very likely remembering incorrectly but I thought word on the street was that they weren't doing Dimension Woodwinds because of the fact that there are already multiple flutes and oboes, etc.  Personally though I'd like to see Dimension Woodwinds with the goal of blending rather than sounding as "solo" as some of the current instruments, similar to the Berlin Woodwinds way of having some instruments made to blend and other instruments made to stand out.

• I'm sure you're right. It's interesting, considering the whole idea of the Dimension series is that instruments can't make a convincing section unless they are sampled together. It's great to be able to jump in and out of divisi in Dimension Brass, even with two or three players, and have it sound so natural.

• Here is my suggestions : Extended Techniques for each bundle : Strings, Woodwinds and Brass.

• I was thinking about some older posts. I seem to recall that Herb stated that a second violin may be recorded. I have not seen any quotes from him saying that it *not* happen. It would be nice to know for sure, or at least let the users know how likely such a new item might be recorded and released.

On a peronal note, I want to state that I use VSL products almost entirely. There is not anything that comes close to the attention to detail out there these days. I recently listened to another string product, and they cut too many corners. I won't be spending one penny on that thing! I don't know who has released any solo strings recently with good results. I am willing to listen to the demos...

Getting me advanced notice on upcoming products gives me something to plan for so I can make that upcoming purchase.

• A second violin would be a great opportunity to see how VSL would do a new solo strings library. The recent muted trumpet Single Instrument has fewer articulations, but it has more velocity layers for some performance intervals. It sounds amazing in the demos, but it's hard to compare the sound of post-MIR demos with older ones.

• Hi,

Just got an email from VSL announcing that Student Discounts has been prolonged until Oct. 20th, 2014.  

Does this mean that nothing new will surface during October ?  Oh..boy.. I wonder what's cooking at VSL as far as new products ? 

With the upcoming AES Show right around the corner. I hope something New and Very Exciting will be announced by VSL. 

Cheers,

Muziksculp 

• VSL has a special offer every month, but the student offer is sometimes longer (like last year). I doubt there's any connection between the timing of special offers and other announcements.

It clearly took a vast amount of work to get Dimension Strings finished, and that only happened a few weeks ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath :) I would love to be wrong though....

• Beside the plan to extend the DimBrass and to create a Dimension Strings muted Package ... I KNOW ... that they're working on ...

a) exotic Instruments and

b) additional articulations for some existing Packages ...

... since 4 years!!!

BUT NO WORD about the Person WHO told me ... I'm out of this thread now!

• Extensions to the established libraries sound like a great idea.

As far as Dimension Strings are concerned, I'd prefer added articulations or an expansion to the current version. Imagine how great DS would be with all the articulations of Solo Strings... OTOH the opportunity to mix muted strings with the current DS library could be interesting [:)]

• My whishes are not that unusual except one point surprisingly not yet mentioned:

- More Velocity-Layers [Y]

- muted Dim-Strings + Dim-Brass [Y]

- Choir and Soloists in VSL-Quality with Wordbuilder [:D]

(- Baroque-instruments would be of some interesting to)

• Adding more velocity layers to existing content would be virtually impsible.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • last edited
    last edited

@Bill said:

Adding more velocity layers to existing content would be virtually impsible.

So true.  Also I don't think it's entirely necessary.  Most other libraries with multiple layers have all kinds of tricky crossfades and phasing issues.  It's a lot simpler with VSL where there's only one small range you have to look out for.