Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,437 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,794 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• "Student, Love, Drink and Bandinage Songs" (1519-1520)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/AngeloClematide/csg-0462_009_9.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/AngeloClematide/csg-0462_010.jpg

Here the two hq image of the "Student, Love, Drink and Bandinage Songs":

csg-0462_009_9.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2cz70b

csg-0462_010.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q3r6nn

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

... Shallow people can put on a classical record and be sure to impress others with their good taste. No risks, no research, no thinking required... just status. Music from the composers such as I listed require a depth of knowledge and passion.

Any surrealists out there, or maybe even a contemporary? Anyone an innovator of new music... or only the old conservative opinions of the boring bourgeoise?

Well, my three favorite three composers would not be Beethoven, Bach and Mozart but more like Vangelis, Suzanne Ciani and Gary Numan.  Each one "an innovator of new music." In this case, electronic music which, incedentally, is really what sampling is all about isn't it?  I see your point of thinking outside of the box but one can't deny the contributions of the big three to modern western music.  Our music.  

So do my selections conform to your "surrealist" request Mr. Clematide?  Or am I "shallow" as well.  

• I really need to CLARIFY something here, the point was not that Bach, Beethoven or Mozart MUST be your top 3 favorite composers, but when they're not even in the top 100, to me that looks bizarre!

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

Well, my three favorite three composers would not be Beethoven, Bach and Mozart but more like Vangelis, Suzanne Ciani and Gary Numan.  Each one "an innovator of new music." In this case, electronic music which, incedentally, is really what sampling is all about isn't it?  I see your point of thinking outside of the box but one can't deny the contributions of the big three to modern western music.  Our music.  

So do my selections conform to your "surrealist" request Mr. Clematide?  Or am I "shallow" as well.  

Are you crazy, tired if life.... wanna get killed by the expert crowd here?

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

BTW Angelo, I lied on that other thread. I did not actually like that insipid little piece of Muzak you posted, which could have been played on a General Midi module from the 80s (and sounded like it).  I was trying to be conciliatory, but I should have remembered that old saying, about casting pearls among swine...

BTW... William, doesn't matter that you don't like it; the song will be in a movie and then it gets arranged and recorded with musician, that's enough for me

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)

It's the dates that I just love. HAHAHAHA! I just love all those dates.

One of my favourites is Sugar Sugar by The Archies (1968-1971)

Or according to Angelo - Sugar Sugar by The Archives. Who can tell anymore?

• "Sugar Sugar" is a nice song, but I was already out of puperty at that time.

About the archive ---> I wouldn't find anything without organization:

• Sugar, Sugar, worked well in "The B Movie".

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

Are you crazy, tired if life.... wanna get killed by the expert crowd here?

Crazy?  No I'm not crazy.  At least that's what the voices in my head keep telling me.

Since this forum is only reserved for the "experts," then I suggest we stop posting Mr. Clematide.

In music, as in any form of art, there are NO EXPERTS!!!! 

What you may think a masterpiece I might think is no more a contribution to western culture than a picture of dogs sitting around playing poker. 

• hmm... Rihm, Saariaho, Gubaidulina, Lachenmann, Lutoslawski, Sorensen, Stravinsky, Mahler, Mozart...

Pole, Boards of Canada, Chris Clark, Regina Spektor, Aphex Twin...

I don't know... Those are the people I'm actually listening to on a fairly regular basis. By no means an exhaustive list. But I'm definitely an expert on my own personal taste! ;-)

J.

• [quote=jbm]hmm... Rihm, Saariaho, Gubaildulina, Lachenmann, Lutoslawski, Sorensen, Stravinsky, Mahler, Mozart...

And I an expert on my personal taste.  Excellent point J.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

And I an expert on my personal taste.

O-ha

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

I really need to CLARIFY something here, the point was not that Bach, Beethoven or Mozart MUST be your top 3 favorite composers, but when they're not even in the top 100, to me that looks bizarre!
    I highly agree that Bach, Mozart and Beethoven are unreachable. Mozart makes me cry almost every time I hear his music. But although I grew up with his music and knew the piano concerto in d-minor better and earlier than any children´s song, i actually disliked him in my youth - so I must have been bizarre these days. I was 20 years old when I began to like him, and now (being an atheist) he almost makes me believe in god. Regarding respect, BMB MUST be in the top 100 (in the top 10), regarding personal taste, they need not necessarily. Speaking of personal taste: I think John Dowland wrote beautiful music.

• *Edgar Varèse
    *J.S. Bach
    *Frank Zappa
    *Gustav Mahler
    *Igor Strawinsky

Ravel has some nice moments, Schubert ain't bad (not the songs please), Samuel Barber occasionally touched me, some of Chopins music is deep, Hector Berlioz wrote some great orchestral works

*Charlie Parker
    *Miles Davis
    *Gil Evans

• " There is no thought needed to be considered a person of good taste by appreciating Bach, Beethoven or Mozart." - Angelo Clematide

This pisses me off, bad.  For your information, not everyone here PRETENDS to like these composers in order to appear sophisticated.  

There are people who are inspired by the awesome music they wrote, and study them intensively - like for their whole fucking lives.

Instead of pretentious twits like you who PRETEND far more to be sophisticated by disdaining the masters, and listing obscure composers,  trying to use them as examples of vast and startling knowledge.  You are so obvious you are pathetic. Stop trying to be superior by Googling, o.k.?  Anybody can do that.  You put the cursor in the slot, and then type something idiotic into it. And presto - you're Angelo Clematide, expert on everything!  Stop insulting people who spend their lives stuyding the masters - you don't know what the hell you are talking about.  

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

" There is no thought needed to be considered a person of good taste by appreciating Bach, Beethoven or Mozart." - Angelo Clematide

This pisses me off, bad.  For your information, not everyone here PRETENDS to like these composers in order to appear sophisticated.  

There are people who are inspired by the awesome music they wrote, and study them intensively - like for their whole fucking lives.

Instead of pretentious twits like you who PRETEND far more to be sophisticated by disdaining the masters, and listing obscure composers,  trying to use them as examples of vast and startling knowledge.  You are so obvious you are pathetic. Stop trying to be superior by Googling, o.k.?  Anybody can do that.  You put the cursor in the slot, and then type something idiotic into it. And presto - you're Angelo Clematide, expert on everything!  Stop insulting people who spend their lives stuyding the masters - you don't know what the hell you are talking about.  

Tell me the name of the medication, I send you a packet.

• "There is no thought needed to be considered a person of good taste by appreciating Bach, Beethoven or Mozart." - Angelo Clematide If I would choose to want to impress someone on my musical taste, I would definitely NOT mention Bach or Mozart, for this seems far too obvious. - When I was about eight years old, the class was asked to write a text about our favourite animal. I wrote about an amoeba, BECAUSE I guessed everyone else would be writing about cats and dogs and cute little furry things. And I thought the others would be impressed on what strange animals I knew. - To be more honest, I like cats and dogs, and I love Bach and Mozart. Even if I don´t think that anybody is impressed by that.

• last edited
    last edited

@clemenshaas said:

"There is no thought needed to be considered a person of good taste by appreciating Bach, Beethoven or Mozart." - Angelo Clematide If I would choose to want to impress someone on my musical taste, I would definitely NOT mention Bach or Mozart, for this seems far too obvious. - When I was about eight years old, the class was asked to write a text about our favourite animal. I wrote about an amoeba, BECAUSE I guessed everyone else would be writing about cats and dogs and cute little furry things. And I thought the others would be impressed on what strange animals I knew. - To be more honest, I like cats and dogs, and I love Bach and Mozart. Even if I don´t think that anybody is impressed by that.

That's more likely what the assertion means. However, I have no urge to impress some anonymous folks or nameless forumites. Then, I worked for two classical record company and we recorded thousands of orchestra work, so I do not have to google name of composer but own at least the recordings, if not also the score. Williams categorization into obscure composers does not make sense in Europe where earnest music is part of culture and everyday life. I guess William is an American, possibly observing our culture from far.

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

That's more likely what the assertion means. However, I have no urge to impress some anonymous folks or nameless forumites. Then, I worked for two classical record company and we recorded thousands of orchestra work, so I do not have to google name of composer but own at least the recordings, if not also the score. Williams categorization into obscure composers does not make sense in Europe where earnest music is part of culture and everyday life. I guess William is an American, possibly observing our culture from far.
    Hm, I didn´t record thousands of orchestra work, but say dozens, and I have to say, a lot of bullshit amongst it. 😊 - Besides, I have not been to the us yet, but I do think not all americans are "bushes", and "our" culture is as less william´s as it´s mine or yours. - certainly di lasso and palestrina are not obscure :)