Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,118 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• I thought we were just listing our favorite composers, which don't necessarily have to be the 'best' composers. And this is why I like them. I find it invigorating to see the flaws in a person's attempts at creation. In this I can see character of a person! In Mozart, it's very difficult for me to perceive flaws because most of what I've listened to is beyond mortal and seemingly nearly perfectly rendered. Total respect and awe to Mozart and I do like him very much. But if we're talking favorites, I believe it can be as subjective as you need it to be.

Mahlon

• last edited
    last edited

@Mahlon said:

I thought we were just listing our favorite composers, which don't necessarily have to be the 'best' composers. I believe it can be as subjective as you need it to be.

Mahlon

So whaddya think of Angelo's list? Do you think subjectively it's the most overblown, pompous load of bollocks you've ever seen?

• Hehe! That's pretty direct. ; )

• ... by some of the posts I come to the conclusion that some forumites live in the Papua New Guinea of 1804

There is no thought needed to be considered a person of good taste by appreciating Bach, Beethoven or Mozart. Some of the above opinions are more semi-official pseudo academic and mainstream cultural establishment seal of good taste approval, eventually intelligent enough for a small talk with cardinal Ferdinand de Medici IV at a formal reception at the Embassy of Liechtenstein.

Shallow people can put on a classical record and be sure to impress others with their good taste. No risks, no research, no thinking required... just status. Music from the composers such as I listed require a depth of knowledge and passion.

Any surrealists out there, or maybe even a contemporary? Anyone an innovator of new music... or only the old conservative opinions of the boring bourgeoise?

• Hildegard von Bingen apparently used to go down a storm at Barmitzvah's and weddings - so I defer to your greater knowledge on this one Angelo.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

So whaddya think of Angelo's list? Do you think subjectively it's the most overblown, pompous load of bollocks you've ever seen?
    Well, I don't know Angelo personally, so I was taking it that these composers are his favorites -- his very, very specific faovorites. [;)]

Mahlon

• That is perfectly legitimate, what got me to react and as I suspected was the reasons for not mentioning Bach, Beethoven or Mozart.

• [quote=PaulR]

Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179), English Hildegard of Bingen, was an artist, author, scientist, philosopher, physician and composer etc..

SHE is the first composer with an musical biography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildegard_of_Bingen

Her music is fabulous. Her work "Ordo Virtutum" is called the first form, and is possibly the origin of opera:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordo_Virtutum

• "Student, Love, Drink and Bandinage Songs" (1519-1520)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/AngeloClematide/csg-0462_009_9.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/AngeloClematide/csg-0462_010.jpg

Here the two hq image of the "Student, Love, Drink and Bandinage Songs":

csg-0462_009_9.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2cz70b

csg-0462_010.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q3r6nn

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

... Shallow people can put on a classical record and be sure to impress others with their good taste. No risks, no research, no thinking required... just status. Music from the composers such as I listed require a depth of knowledge and passion.

Any surrealists out there, or maybe even a contemporary? Anyone an innovator of new music... or only the old conservative opinions of the boring bourgeoise?

Well, my three favorite three composers would not be Beethoven, Bach and Mozart but more like Vangelis, Suzanne Ciani and Gary Numan.  Each one "an innovator of new music." In this case, electronic music which, incedentally, is really what sampling is all about isn't it?  I see your point of thinking outside of the box but one can't deny the contributions of the big three to modern western music.  Our music.  

So do my selections conform to your "surrealist" request Mr. Clematide?  Or am I "shallow" as well.  

• I really need to CLARIFY something here, the point was not that Bach, Beethoven or Mozart MUST be your top 3 favorite composers, but when they're not even in the top 100, to me that looks bizarre!

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

Well, my three favorite three composers would not be Beethoven, Bach and Mozart but more like Vangelis, Suzanne Ciani and Gary Numan.  Each one "an innovator of new music." In this case, electronic music which, incedentally, is really what sampling is all about isn't it?  I see your point of thinking outside of the box but one can't deny the contributions of the big three to modern western music.  Our music.  

So do my selections conform to your "surrealist" request Mr. Clematide?  Or am I "shallow" as well.  

Are you crazy, tired if life.... wanna get killed by the expert crowd here?

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

BTW Angelo, I lied on that other thread. I did not actually like that insipid little piece of Muzak you posted, which could have been played on a General Midi module from the 80s (and sounded like it).  I was trying to be conciliatory, but I should have remembered that old saying, about casting pearls among swine...

BTW... William, doesn't matter that you don't like it; the song will be in a movie and then it gets arranged and recorded with musician, that's enough for me

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)

It's the dates that I just love. HAHAHAHA! I just love all those dates.

One of my favourites is Sugar Sugar by The Archies (1968-1971)

Or according to Angelo - Sugar Sugar by The Archives. Who can tell anymore?

• "Sugar Sugar" is a nice song, but I was already out of puperty at that time.

About the archive ---> I wouldn't find anything without organization:

• Sugar, Sugar, worked well in "The B Movie".

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

Are you crazy, tired if life.... wanna get killed by the expert crowd here?

Crazy?  No I'm not crazy.  At least that's what the voices in my head keep telling me.

Since this forum is only reserved for the "experts," then I suggest we stop posting Mr. Clematide.

In music, as in any form of art, there are NO EXPERTS!!!! 

What you may think a masterpiece I might think is no more a contribution to western culture than a picture of dogs sitting around playing poker. 

• hmm... Rihm, Saariaho, Gubaidulina, Lachenmann, Lutoslawski, Sorensen, Stravinsky, Mahler, Mozart...

Pole, Boards of Canada, Chris Clark, Regina Spektor, Aphex Twin...

I don't know... Those are the people I'm actually listening to on a fairly regular basis. By no means an exhaustive list. But I'm definitely an expert on my own personal taste! ;-)

J.