Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,130 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,984 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

• Getting back to the topic: Bach (father), Beethoven (son), Mozart (holy ghost), Dowland, Schumann, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Skrjabin, Debussy, Ravel, Lennon/McCartney

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

... certainly di lasso and palestrina are not obscure 😊

To me obscure (latin ob-scurus) means of dubious origin, unknown, pseudointellectual, out of the dark.

If you meant ‘unknown' then I agree, but not knowing the composers I listed is your personal nescience. When you look at what the orchestras and smaller ensembles play today all over Europe, we see that the gross of the repertoire is different from place to place, not even talking about the local idiosyncrasies.

If you meant the other meanings, then you can discuss the word obscure with the the musician and music lovers in Andalucia and Catalonia for Albéniz Lauro, Mompou, de Falla, Lauro, Granados, Halffter, Montsalvatge, Nin-Culmell, Sarasate, Tarrega - In Naples, Mantova and Venice for Monteverdi, Porpora, Scarlatti, Vivaldi, Albinoni, Benedetto, Ponchielli - In Milano for Rossini, Verdi, and Meyerbeer - In Paris for Jacques Ibert, d'Indy, Florent Schmitt, Ravel, Satie, Poulenc, Varèse, Debussy and back yard composer Saint-Saens - in Zurich for Charles Koechlin, Arthur Honegger, Burkhard, Kelterborn, Raff, Schoeck, Sutermeister - in Rumania for George Enescu - In Aix-en-Provence for Milhaud, de Séverac...

... just to name a few ‘obscure' composers as you call them, quasi non comparable to your trinity, and about Beethoven and Bach, don't get the idea I am not a German myself, I am German back to neanderthal.

Ever thought about taking a composer as what he is, and not comparing him to any other, understanding his personal character and style, instead of praying to your trinity?

• Angelo, with no word did I say that my personal taste is in any way superior to anyone elses. You were just guessing, but you guessed wrong. I´m not sure what you mean by "earnest writing", I just like many of the Beatles´Songs. I mentioned that Di Lasso and Palestrina are not obscure, because you were accused (not by me, if you have a look) of dropping obscure composers´names, so I was on your side on this point (speaking of the two, I´m afraid they would not be a big help for me to compose new music either, but they wrote absolutely gorgeous music, I totally agree on that).

• last edited
    last edited

@clemenshaas said:

Angelo, with no word did I say that my personal taste is in any way superior to anyone elses.

Neither did I ---> not about you, and not about myself.

• Dowland, Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Brahms, Strauss, Shostakovich, Bernstein, Zappa, Williams and many others. Maybe Bach is my alltime favourite.

• last edited
    last edited

@Sampleconstruct said:

Schubert ain't bad (not the songs please)
    Please listen to Schuberts string quintet and his sonata for arpeggione, then I want to hear you saying that he is not bad again;-)

• last edited
    last edited

@Sampleconstruct said:

Schubert ain't bad (not the songs please)
    Please listen to Schuberts string quintet and his sonata for arpeggione, then I want to hear you saying that he is not bad again;-)

But that's no a Lied, or is it?

edit: okay, I see it is a sonata

• I know that it's not a Lied, but as far as I unterstood you meant to say that in your opinion Schubert isn't bad, his Lieder are even worse...sounds like that for me, for me his Lieder are wonderful (Winterreise), but that's my personal opinion.

• last edited
    last edited

@Christof Unterberger said:

I know that it's not a Lied, but as far as I unterstood you meant to say that in your opinion Schubert isn't bad, his Lieder are even worse...sounds like that for me, for me his Lieder are wonderful (Winterreise), but that's my personal opinion.

Not at all, I just did not listen to Schubert's Lieder since decades, so I have no opinion about Schubert's Lieder

• Schubert's Lieder are the greatest songs in the history of music.  Anyone who does not study them knows nothing about art songs.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Schubert's Lieder are the greatest songs in the history of music.  Every fool knows that. No - I guess not every one of them..

Absolutley correct, and that is why you know that fact !!!

• Yes, I am  a great fool who loves Schubert.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Yes, I am  a great fool who loves Schubert.

You may love Schubert, but I understand the Gesangstext

Um Mitternacht

Keine Stimme hör' ich schallen,
    Keine Schritt auf dunkler Bahn,
    Selbst der Himmel hat die schönen,
    Hellen Äuglein zugetan.

Ich nur wache, süßes Leben,
    Schaue sehnend in die Nacht,
    Bis dein Stern in öder Ferne
    Lieblich leuchtend mir erwacht.

Ach, nur einmal, nur verstohlen
    Dein geliebtes Bild zu seh'n,
    Wollt' ich gern in Sturm und Wetter
    Bis zum späten Morgen steh'n!

Seh' ich's nicht von ferne leuchten!
    Naht es nicht schon nach und nach?
    Ach, und freundlich hör' ich's flüstern:
    Sieh, der Freund ist auch noch wach.

Süßes Wort, geliebte Stimme,
    Der mein Herz entgegenschlägt!
    Tausend sel'ge Liebesbilder
    Hat dein Hauch mir aufgeregt.

Alle Sterne seh' ich glänzen
    Auf der dunkeln blauen Bahn,
    Und im Herzen hat und droben
    Sich der Himmel aufgetan.

Holder Nachhall, wiege freundlich
    Jetzt mein Haupt in milde Ruh,
    Und noch oft, ihr Träume, lispelt
    Ihr geliebtes Wort mir zu!

Ernst Konrad Friederich Schulze

• Yes, you are very skilled with Google.  I congratulate you. 

You have no musical skills, but your mastery of internet surfing is second to none.

• By the way Angelo, I can't help wondering - what is it that you do, when you are not Googling?

You are obviously not a musician, since no musician could ever make statements like yours - I remember one you posted about how Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Schubert are of less significance than Hildegard von Bingen.  It's interesting how you alone, of all the people in the world, have come to this unique position of knowledge in musicology.   Well, I suppose that has to do with your internet knowledge and skill?  As opposed to (actual) knowledge and skill. Do you have any concept of the difference between those two ontological entities? No, don't bother to answer. You have made it all too painfully clear you don't and, in fact, couldn't.

Anyway, what are you?  A recording engineer for TV commercials, correct?  I defaulted to that assumption since your qualifications are quite vague - especially in music.  Qualifications that is, for pontificating about everything to people who are vastly your superior. Though I must admit your thread about how to Paint-By-Numbers dynamic ranges is impressive, especially as a tool for the deaf musician.  Just what do you spend your time doing when you are not Googling and then disseminating already-disseminated knowledge?

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

I just did not listen to Schubert's Lieder since decades, so I have no opinion about Schubert's Lieder

So if you have NO opinion about Schuberts Lieder why do you write "Schubert ain't bad(not the songs please)"? Just wondering... For example I don't like Wagner, that doesn't mean that he is not bad, ( not bad means "not very good" to me), he was a great composer, but I'll never have the courage to say that he wasn't a very good composer just because I dont like him. Same with Strauss, he's not my favourite composer, but he was great! I would say that Salieri wasn't bad....or Gunoud.

• last edited
    last edited

@Christof Unterberger said:

As I tried to say: I quite like Schubert, played a lot of his piano works during my piano education but the songs don't really touch me at all.

• last edited
    last edited

@Angelo Clematide said:

I just did not listen to Schubert's Lieder since decades, so I have no opinion about Schubert's Lieder

So if you have NO opinion about Schuberts Lieder why do you write "Schubert ain't bad(not the songs please)"? Just wondering... For example I don't like Wagner, that doesn't mean that he is not bad, ( not bad means "not very good" to me), he was a great composer, but I'll never have the courage to say that he wasn't a very good composer just because I dont like him. Same with Strauss, he's not my favourite composer, but he was great! I would say that Salieri wasn't bad....or Gunoud.

I am sure I never said that

• right,you never said that, it was sampleconstruct....sorry, my mistake, anyway this is getting a bit complicated here.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

By the way Angelo, I can't help wondering - what is it that you do, when you are not Googling?

You are obviously not a musician, since no musician could ever make statements like yours - I remember one you posted about how Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Schubert are of less significance than Hildegard von Bingen.  It's interesting how you alone, of all the people in the world, have come to this unique position of knowledge in musicology.   Well, I suppose that has to do with your internet knowledge and skill?  As opposed to (actual) knowledge and skill. Do you have any concept of the difference between those two ontological entities? No, don't bother to answer. You have made it all too painfully clear you don't and, in fact, couldn't.

Anyway, what are you?  A recording engineer for TV commercials, correct?  I defaulted to that assumption since your qualifications are quite vague - especially in music.  Qualifications that is, for pontificating about everything to people who are vastly your superior. Though I must admit your thread about how to Paint-By-Numbers dynamic ranges is impressive, especially as a tool for the deaf musician.  Just what do you spend your time doing when you are not Googling and then disseminating already-disseminated knowledge?

"Never memorize what you can look up in google"

- Alfred Einstein

What do you expect? That I post my CV here?

What you call "Paint-By-Numbers dynamic ranges" is simply a proposal to use the calibration standard according to the THX and Dolby Digital standard as in use in every mixing stage and at work in all cinemas worldwide, but additionally incorporating the composition stage to this standards right from the beginning.