Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,928 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,951 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Well maybe we are the only two left then [:D] - kind of being in a G. A. Romero film...

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Well maybe we are the only two left then [:D] - kind of being in a G. A. Romero film...

Or...........

[I]

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Well maybe we are the only two left then [:D] - kind of being in a G. A. Romero film...

Or...........

[I]
    Don't you start.......... [6]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Besides, Evan's got a horrible sense of humour, shares considerable amounts of knowledge with others he often doesn't know, and drinks Port. ... Alex...
    Hehe. Thanks for all your kind words Alex. here here.
    Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

Evan, sorry if my post has been misunderstood.
    I didn't mean by any way to be insulting....
    You know ... right after I posted my reply I went back and skimmed your post again and realized that it might not have been meant to be insulting at all. But I still needed to say what I said, even if it was in the wrong reflection of the moment. I still hold it true, it's just not directed at you in any way.

No problem. Water under the bridge.

Cheers,
    Evan

• last edited
    last edited

@Nick Batzdorf said:

Only half Ă  propos this thread, Bill Evans' version of "The Dolphin" is just freaky. It's one thing to play a complicated tune the way he does, but then he goes back and comes up with a great reharmonization for it on the fly. Humans aren't supposed to be able to do that.
    Nick, there are so many great examples of that in my father's oeuvre. He was an enigma to be sure. It can be mind blowing.

Many times he said he was not naturally gifted. Not a freak of nature. That he practiced at least 8 hours a day every day of his life, and that what you hear as very complex and sophisticated was indeed the result of incredibly hard work. I witnessed this as a child, and my mother has told me the same.

On a side note, it was rather touching for me to learn, after I chose film scoring as my passion in this life, in an interview with my father a year before his passing he was asked if there was anything he wanted to do besides Jazz ... He answered "I would like to get into scoring films." Talk about freaking me out. First of all, you have to understand that my interest in music was purely genetic. There was a piano in the house. My mother never pushed me at all. I naturally gravitated towards it, asked for lessons, wanted to have an hour lesson twice a week at the age of 7, which by 8 turned into 3 lessons per week, 1 hour theory, 1 hour Piano, and 1 hour Trumpet. I did not even know my father was a musician (or realize it per sey, make the connection), until I was about 10 years old. And yet the moment I turned 9, I heard some music in the film THE 39 STEPS by Alfred Hitchcock, and it was the first time I realized that movies had music in them. At that point I said "that is what I want to do with my life. Write music for movies." I got my first job at age 12. I got my first film at age 21. It was when I was 24 that I learned of what my father had said. It was 15 years of confirmation in a single instant, that I indeed was following in my father's footsteps. He died when I was 5. So it's just incredibly touching to have his "approval", in that sense.

Anyway, alas I rambled on.

Basically I just wanted to say, that as a musician, an artist, I think he was much more than most people realize, and that music at that level is not an accident, improvised, or universally accepted without intending to do so.

How many of you have decided that your contribution deserves 8 hours of fortification through practice every day of your life? That is dedication of the highest. And it is very inspiring, at least to me.

Evan Evans

P.S. By the way, i recognize and love my father's music, completely unbiased from the fact that he was my father. I can assure you of this, since I disliked Jazz music for most of my life. It certainly was not something that was drilled into me. I discovered my father just like the rest of you ... through his music. And most people I meet in his circles, knew him better than I did. Yet, I consider him to be a genius of the 20th Century, as was Bernard Herrmann who wrote in pen and did not make mistakes.

• Ah, this thread sucks, full of contradictions... I'm out.

• haha. Plus it was supposed to be about how the demo's aren't up to snuff. Stream of consciousness is a bitch.

Evan Evans

• Thanks for all evans !

I think guy has gone Quacky !

Just listen to his Donald demo. Its out of this world.

I wonder if DG can still swing like that.

• last edited
    last edited

@R.K. said:

Thanks for all evans !

I think guy has gone Quacky !

Just listen to his Donald demo. Its out of this world.

I wonder if DG can still swing like that.

Well I'd love to be able to answer that, but as Guy's site crashes IE, then no chance...........!

DG

• Really good, especialy "black panther strikes again" !
    Is it only the VSL (or VI) samples ?

• I asked him the same question and this is his reply :

Pro Ed only: Everest, Graveyard, Sunlit sorrow, Toy Soldier, Diabolical.

VI and Pro Ed: Donald and Westron

*VI = strings and woodwinds

*Pro Ed = Brass and Percussion

The brass, woodwinds and perc in VI will be sent later,
    that is why I worked this way for now. But my intention is to
    use only VI. The 24 bit makes it better quality also.

Guy ; )

• last edited
    last edited

@Laurent said:

Really good, especialy "black panther strikes again" !
    Is it only the VSL (or VI) samples ?

Thanks Laurent, but it's the wrong version, the website guy got it wrong, the final version is longer and has a neat ending, "Ă  la Batman", and also has been refined more. I'll have the switch done by the end of the day.

R.K.

Yeah, I am a bit of a quacky, but really am a nice guy. (most often)

But I don't think you'll see me posting much again, so you could always PM.

ps Sometimes messages get a little too tricky for me....

• Yeah I already realize posting here can be a bit waste of time, but I still do it because I don't let other people change who I am. I want to post something, and am going to get torn apart to shreds, I don't care. That's they're business. I'll make my posts regardless. I've been banned from this forum before for telling the truth.

Evan Evans

• Hi Evan,
    you've temporary been banned in the past because you showed bad manners.

• I was expressing a personal opinion and before asking me what my intentions were I was banned. It could have been cleared up quickly and without acting like elitist totalitarians. I disagree with that it had been done, and I do not think that your simple statement of the reason why I was banned completely describes the actual mood behind what went down. I see and understand how you perceive your actions were justified, but I will not let my fellow VSL members who trust me and respect me, allow you to state simply that it was due to me having bad manners. Especially when, before it occurred, it was mentioned that the board was democratic and no one had been banned before, and that you welcomed the opinions of all. That gave the impetus to speak freely. And then you imprisoned me for giving me that impetus.

I will have my fellow VSL members know that you do not allow free speech here.

Actions such as yours make it clear why I do not regret a % of the taxes I pay, to live where I live, or have the ideals I have.

If an apology is ever given, I will of course have a change in my views upon the VSL team, but as it stands now, VSL represents themselves with an elitist attitude, that, as I've stated in the past, is hindering their own growth. Whether or not I am respectable enough to say such things about a company, I assure the VSL Team my intentions are positive for the company, this is why I mention the criticisms. If I need to be a respectable person to voice such opinions, than I see a flaw in the supposed democratic views of the VSL team.

Evan Evans

P.S. It should be noted that the post that inflamed the ban, was intended to HELP the VSL team. But instead they decided that the customer is not always right, and banned me. if something sucks here, I will let you know. And if you do not care to hear it, it is YOUR loss, not mine.

• Please stop reacting like a child, calm down, take a breath… try to be cool

[[[:D]]] [[[:D]]] [[[:D]]]

• That is absolute bullshit! You charge Herb of simplifying things. Well you're simplifying things 10. fold or in fact down right lie when you say that VSL don’t allow free speech or act like elitist totalitarians. This is bar none the freest developer’s forum anywhere. I think the fact that you even state such idiocy puts things into perspective. It shows everyone that the world you inhabit is a different one than the rest of your 'fellow VSL members'. You use the term as if the forum members here should somehow feel bonded with you. Like they will stand up and agree with you like some martyr. Well I think you will face a different reality. You will find most people do not agree with you, and nor should they because its complete crap.

The fact that you were a) only temporarily banned and b) not banned months earlier speaks volumes. In fact I remember how several of your fellow VSL users were begging for you to be banned.

The funny thing is, that I actually agreed with your initial complaints about VSL's library. I too have complained about the soprano saxophone, and non sustained legatos but you don’t see me being banned do you? Truth is you were so way out of line its amazing you can still post here. And while I agree that in a sense you did tell the 'truth', you were banned for your absurd manners, and not your opinions. Face it

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

acting like elitist totalitarians

interesting point of view,
    the board is running now for almost four years, and there were all in all two temporary bans, I think this is a kind of world record [[;)]]

I'm curious which place on this world you think is non elitist totalitarian

• last edited
    last edited

@evan said:

I will have my fellow VSL members know that you do not allow free speech here.
    c'mon - this is ridiculous ....
    after the initial post i was thinking by myself *will we see another 40+ pages thread about nothing?* and was tempted to reply with this question and close the thread immediately. i should have done so ...

btw: showmanship is subject to entertainment tax here in austria, so authors of such posts will be liable to pay the costs ... [6]
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.