Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,968 users have contributed to 42,269 threads and 254,961 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Alex,
    Well said. I agree.
    Evan Evans

• These demos will certainly give some users something to aspire to while they will inspire verteran users to explore or exploit the capabilities and limitations of their own expressive vocabulary.

One of my favorite demos was the original SE Blue Danube, which convinced me to take the leap to VSL originally. But generally, I don't worry about the demos *so* much. It's akin to listening to different recordings of the same symphony by different conductors and orchestras. One of my favorite things to do is to use the iTunes browser to compare different excerpts of the same work.

Isn't it funny that the same issues arise regarding the mix and interpretation even when a sample library is not involved?

• last edited
    last edited

@evanevans said:

Haha. Im faltered you say so!
    Did you actually think I ever miss a beat?
    [;)]
    Evan Evans

Dunno, I'll ask your players [8-)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@JWL said:

[...] One of my favorite demos was the original SE Blue Danube [...]

Nice to hear - this is one of my all-time favorites of our demos, too. It has a very special vibe, and apart from that it was this piece that convinced me that the ideas for a new and different sampling library will work out [:)]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@evanevans said:

Wow. No, I'm convinced. I can't go anywhere near that stuff. I'm partial to Rum and Port. But I prefer water.

Evan Evans

Those americans and their new-world cocktails... [[:|]]

• last edited
    last edited

@JWL said:

[...] One of my favorite demos was the original SE Blue Danube [...]

Nice to hear - this is one of my all-time favorites of our demos, too. It has a very special vibe, and apart from that it was this piece that convinced me that the ideas for a new and different sampling library will work out [:)]

Yeah-- but Dietz, I went looking for demo on the ilio site and because it was part of the SE it was removed. "Danube" really ought to be part of ilio PE demos. It's nice to hear some of the other demos, but that one was the breakout track that launched this new era of orchestral libraries.

I will add that the Bloch "Prayer" is a VI winner. I played the track for a cellist today who has played that piece for years. He was quite moved by the performance until I explained that it was VSL. His response: "That's digusting!!" [:D]

• The massenet piece does it for me from another perspective as the blue danube.
    The feel is not only more intense but the stamina and the consistency beats anything.
    The feel is dynamic city. That ought to make the reel players not only discusting but
    aware.

• Evan

I Just read your bio. What an honor to have bill evans heir on this forum. I've heard many stories of your heart felt father during his career. He had the most educational trio standing up next to nat king cole trio. I'm sure you hear it all the time.

your acheivement is very fertile as it is, if one does and may say so. ( very Impressive )

By the way We apparently were in Goldsmith's seminar at the same time.
    When he mentioned his fee was a million dollars and got pissed at the lady who asked him if he composed ordinary music. He He.

E-mail me if you want a complimantary copy of my book. Be happy to send you one.

• Why don't we open a special thread on E.Evans ?
    I remember the days before he took some vacations, he almost spent all his precious time to post a huge % of the forums messages. We ended by reading all the day his writings…

Being a son of a very respected musician doesn't make you more respected, it can be impressive to many people, but the only valuable thing is what YOU are by yourself, and what you create.

I'm tired of the people impressed by the typical bio like (began the piano at 2, improvise at 3 and conduct at 4), what does that mean if your music isn't good ?

That's why I did this video:
    http://www.vimeo.com/user=Alban

Laurent Levesque
    http://www.no-text.net/artist_levesque.htm
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1600916/

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Being a son of a very respected musician doesn't make you more respected, it can be impressive to many people, but the only valuable thing is what YOU are by yourself, and what you create.

thats true, But Bill evans was not just a very famous respected musician. He has a son named evan. Thats different. Frankly I can't beleive how anyone could concintrate on anything with that kind of situation. I used to think Evan was the son of a rich parents with anything he needed he got. It turns out that he is the rich parent, The bread winner. HA The youngest to win awards ect... What about that.

DG has the best musical compositions that i've heard, on this forum. He sais it does not make him any money, so he doesn't fool with it anymore. What about that. !

And Baby Lavesque is cute. Cuty cuty cuty cooo coo. choo choo train. That puts all the presure on daddy lavesque. Is Daddy Lavesque Similar to bill evans ? I don't think so .. We need to make sense here... It will go round right back on anyone, weather we like it or not..

With all fun intended.

The seed of joy is planted, my fellow grass-hoppers

I happen to be a late comer. Now i'm getting out of Evans thread, before the poor man gets a bigger headache.

• Laurent

Please dont get offended. I mean all in good natured humor of-course.

Can we expect Baby Levesque doing the cha cha on the next instalment ?

I suppose it takes somthing like that to get evan online.

You guys are young vigor and full of fun.

• To Anyone,
    Laurent's comments are disrespectful to me and to my father, and all families of the world.

I am a world class film composer. It is not something that is easy to accomplish, nor are some born with the potential. All of what I am is from how I was. And how I was is partially from where I came from. To think that I do not possess any of my father's skills is insulting to me. To think that everything he did in his life and everything I have done in mine are mutually exclusive, is just plain unwise.

I could be the generic human being that everyone loves. But I have chosen to be someone who is loved by those who respect my uniqueness. I have chosen to be unlike anyone else. And most people who do not like me are actually closed minded. Ironically I am very open minded, and I naturally like and respect even those who do not like and respect me. But it is not my place to influence others. I wish to bring people out of darkness, but I cannot push it. You cannot help someone who cannot help themselves.

So to those who disagree with Evan Evans as a person, I say "spend the neurons on something else, because it doesn't mean anything to a proudly unique person such as myself."

I'm going to enjoy my life just the same without other's opinions of me. That's the beauty being confident in who you are, the choices you've made, and the direction you see yourself going.

Furthermore, I don't mind arguing with someone about my opinions or even defending mine against other's disagreement, but basically, with 2 kids, a wife, a wonderful life and career, .. I just don't have time for those close minded people anymore. They can go argue with their roommate and come back to me when they're married and know what it means to enjoy life and other's opinions. A certain degree of discretion must be taken with some of the people who attack me. I can't give everyone equal credit for being valid. I pick and choose those who seem to have an air of respect for other's about them.

So if I choose not to defend myself, it doesn't mean I am not offended. It just means, I don't have enough seconds in this life to spend another one with that person, defending myself. They're on their own .. and I wish them the best in coming to new realizations and illuminations about what is truly important in the universe, this world, and one's life. And also I recommend that people not try to be controlled by chemicals and emotions, and other influences that are created by chemicals and emotions. Use your mind. Think before you leap.

To R.K,
    Thanks for your kind words. You're perspectives show why you love my father's music. It takes more than just ears to appreciate it, and I can see by you're view of life that you understand me and my father quite well. You can AIM me anytime if you wish. Or email.

Yours truly,
    Evan Evans

• It's been said that time dims the memory. Oft times, that's true. But there are memories that can be recalled in an instant. I heard, many years ago, a great recording of Bill and Niels petersen. Man, they were cooking. Bill's linear sense was faultless, and (IMO), he gave more than a passing nod of recognition to others, without playing a collection of someone else's licks. I've read Bill was influenced by the likes of Sonny Clark and Bill Powell. I don;t know if that was actually true from the late Mr. Evans's perspective, but you can hear it in his structure and fluidity, and yet he went it alone so often, reaching places most of us players could only dimly dream of.

There are some musicians whose music, and importantly, history, should be taught to the up and comers, passing on a legacy that stood apart from the mainstream, and took a genre or style in a nw direction. These people, and the profound moments they hit us with, need to be remembered, studied, and most of all enjoyed, free of past perceptions, or elitist assumptions of what fits and doesn't. These are the guys who we should stand up for when they enter the room, paying our respects, and no doubt embarrasing them in the process!

Bill Evans was, and is, one of those great musicians, whose contribution helped shape the sound of Jazz in particular, and music in general. Great chops, Mr. Evans.

As for the 'young' Mr. Evans?
    Well, what's to say?

The man's enjoying himself in life in his own right, with his own skills and abilities, and i'm with him on this one, as a particular personal experience taught me the value of every moment, and to get on with it, without letting the wannabe's slow you down.

Besides, Evan's got a horrible sense of humour, shares considerable amounts of knowledge with others he often doesn't know, and drinks Port.

In my book, that makes him a thoroughly civilised chap.

Regards,

Alex.

p.s.

R.K., i agree with your point about DG's work. Outstanding composer and orchestrator. I had the good fortune recently to listen to some of his stuff.

• Evan, sorry if my post has been misunderstood.
    I didn't mean by any way to be insulting.
    I have a enormous respect for your father (he's been my musical guide while I was learning to improvise and I've been transcribing him a lot).

Please don't take everything too seriously

R.K. thanks for your very human posts, that was cool to read "-)

p.s. you beat me, you've one more kid.
    "-)

• Only half à propos this thread, Bill Evans' version of "The Dolphin" is just freaky. It's one thing to play a complicated tune the way he does, but then he goes back and comes up with a great reharmonization for it on the fly. Humans aren't supposed to be able to do that.

• __

• How DARE you say that, Guy? [6]

• ---

• Am I the only sane person on this forum?

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Am I the only sane person on this forum?

I was thinking the same thing (but not about you) [[:|]]

DG