Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,376 users have contributed to 42,222 threads and 254,772 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@dfhage said:

What does "falttering" mean, I am unfamiliar with this musical term, is it English?Dave Hage

No, not English. It's what linguists refer to as a different language. Which is what Evan speaks generally.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

What does "falttering" mean, I am unfamiliar with this musical term, is it English?Dave Hage

No, not English. It's what linguists refer to as a different language. Which is what Evan speaks generally.

A very cunning linguist!

My guess is that Evan meant to say "Flattering" but that's not a word he's accustomed to using much. [[;)]]

Regards - Colin

• Evan's back. Always entertaining + interesting at the same time.

In a sense I actually agree with part of his statement.

When listening to all the individual phrase demos I thought to myself "Compared to some great VSL things I've heard, it feels a little rigid..."
    I didn't feel the need to analyse in more detail though...

I have the Strings & chamber Strings VI and I really like them.

• Evan's back?

Excellent.

And how is the old fart?

Always interesting when he chips in, with his 'passionate' responses. Certainly never boring.

Now if I could only convince him that Cognac is a real man's drink.......[H]

Regards,

Alex.

[[:|]]

• last edited
    last edited

@charl said:

[...] When listening to all the individual phrase demos I thought to myself "Compared to some great VSL things I've heard, it feels a little rigid..."
    [...]

You have to take into account that most of the demos presented here were performed live, without much (if any) additional tweaking. So - what you hear is what you get! [:)]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Many many great things to come.
    Having play with the first 5 boxes, let the user get used to it, and it will rock like never before…!

• last edited
    last edited

@dfhage said:

What does "falttering" mean, I am unfamiliar with this musical term, is it English?

I think this term comes from German composer Harold Faltermayer who scored one (or more?) of the Asterix Trickfilms in a time, when Roland Jupiter 8 were used to simulate realistic strings.
    For that kind of "orchestra simulation", that Asterix score is a classic.

[[;)]]

Greets:
    HTF

• last edited
    last edited

@charl said:

[...] When listening to all the individual phrase demos I thought to myself "Compared to some great VSL things I've heard, it feels a little rigid..."
    [...]

You have to take into account that most of the demos presented here were performed live, without much (if any) additional tweaking. So - what you hear is what you get! [:)]

Indeed. it's an important information..

• I like the demos just the way they are 'out of box, raw'. I tire of the demoes that are not 'real world'. 2 weeks of tweaking, mixing - beyond any 'real' project schedule I get - at least.

Rob

• Hey Evan Evan Evans, did you hear Jay Bacal's version of the Bloch cello piece?

As I just posted on VI-Control, this really is a new level of expression for samples. The only thing that hasn't yet been answered is subtle vibrato, and I'm not sure how that could be done.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

A very cunning linguist!

My guess is that Evan meant to say "Flattering" but that's not a word he's accustomed to using much. [[[;)]]]

Regards - Colinhaha
    [[;)]]
    Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Evan's back?

Excellent.

And how is the old fart?

Always interesting when he chips in, with his 'passionate' responses. Certainly never boring.

Regards,

Alex.

[[:|]]
    Wow. No, I'm convinced. I can't go anywhere near that stuff. I'm partial to Rum and Port. But I prefer water.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@charl said:

[...]

You have to take into account that most of the demos presented here were performed live, without much (if any) additional tweaking. So - what you hear is what you get! [:)]ahaaa. Ok Dietz. That is different, yes. Unfortunately to me, it sounds a bit 80s. The result that is. I hope that with enough EQ-ing, IR-ing, filtering etc, that it could sound more like progress than regression. But it's probably not that crucial of an aspect of what is purchased as I surmise the performance can be tweaked ad nauseam to taste.

Related question then, has anyone posted anything more than just raw examples of live playback using VI?

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@Nick Batzdorf said:

Hey Evan Evan Evans, did you hear Jay Bacal's version of the Bloch cello piece?

As I just posted on VI-Control, this really is a new level of expression for samples. The only thing that hasn't yet been answered is subtle vibrato, and I'm not sure how that could be done.
    I'll check it out Nick. Link?

Evan

• It's on the same page with the other 39...or maybe 40 - it could be #41.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Evan's back?

Excellent.

And how is the old fart?

Regards,

Alex.

[[[:|]]]
    Wow. No, I'm convinced. I can't go anywhere near that stuff. I'm partial to Rum and Port. But I prefer water.

Evan Evans

You're a port drinker?

Evan, old chap!

You'll get accused of being a civilised fellow if you keep this up.....[[[:|]]]

To the topic in hand. I think the demos reflect a real possibility in performance input with samples. Yes, they're not 'finished' in a sense, having no enhancements, something we'd have to do anyway with any form of input.

But, and i will be frank, for a 'played input', these demos are already better (IMHO) than other 'finished' offerings in the sample library arena. Add enhancements, and i think the result would be considerably better.
    I actually think this way of presenting exmaples is a more honest way of showing the VI capabilities. How many times have we wanted to hear demos without effects or manipulation, so we can make a decision on their potential?

Perhaps an explanatory note, outlining in more detail the intent of the demos would have made things clearer.

But ultimately, we're hearing raw output, and in that criteria, i think the demos are good and serve the purpose.

Regards,

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

[...] Perhaps an explanatory note, outlining in more detail the intent of the demos would have made things clearer. [...]

I think Jay Bacal and Christian Kardeis posted some details in the original "VI Demo"-thread.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I'm really disappointed that the title of this thread has been changed. I must do something about that [[;)]]

DG

• Haha. Im faltered you say so!
    Did you actually think I ever miss a beat?
    [;)]
    Evan Evans