Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,096 users have contributed to 42,378 threads and 255,420 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• Solved - many thanks! I just patched Bidule for LAA, and left GVI, as the load is spread over 5 GVI instances. I can load 2.8GB on the 3GB machine now!

Dom

• Glad it all works. Just be careful about trying to load too much; on my 3GB machines I can actually get nearly 2.9GB, but weird things happen and I even get templates that don't load. Let me know how you get on with GVI as I'm thinking of trying it for some of my non VSL stuff.

DG

• Certainly, it all felt a bit wobbly with 2.8Gb loaded - but exciting. GVI is working very well, I've only had one little problem with it so far (it involves MIDI control number 91 which sends GVI kind of crazy if it receives a value below around 15).

Dom

• last edited
    last edited

@Dom said:

Certainly, it all felt a bit wobbly with 2.8Gb loaded - but exciting. GVI is working very well, I've only had one little problem with it so far (it involves MIDI control number 91 which sends GVI kind of crazy if it receives a value below around 15).

Dom

Lucky I don't use that one then. [:D]

DG

• Glad to hear you sorted it out. If anyone should need it the LaaTiDo setup can be found at http://www.musikbanken.se/laatidosetup.exe">http://www.musikbanken.se/laatidosetup.exe

/Mattias

• Question:

My last line ends:
    noexecute=optin/fastdetect

should it read (after the switch):
    noexecute=optin/fastdetect/3GB

or do I need to reverse it like:

fastdetect/noexecute=optin/3GB

Thanks

• Also, if I am going to go from 2 gigs ram (2 of 4 slots filled) to 3 gigs, do I have to fill the other two slots with 512's or can I just but a 1 gig stick in the third slot and leave the 4th slot open?

The ram is DDR 400.

Thanks again.

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

Also, if I am going to go from 2 gigs ram (2 of 4 slots filled) to 3 gigs, do I have to fill the other two slots with 512's or can I just but a 1 gig stick in the third slot and leave the 4th slot open?

The ram is DDR 400.

Thanks again.

As far as I'm aware it will depend on the sophistication of your motherboard - it is technically possible for a single DDR to be accessed and used. However, if you have an odd number of DDR's the performance of the memory will be affected. The gains DDR memory makes are based on pairs of devices.

• Thanks for Ram advice.

Anyone know the answer to my other question above about reversing order of words at the end of switch?

• If I get a machine with 8GB of RAM, am I still stuck with 2GB of samples (3GB with tweak) or do I get access to the extra RAM for samples (using Cubase 4 + VSL VI's [WinXP])

The time has now come - I have the funds and I'm buying the Cube within the next few weeks! - this is my final investigative phase, so prepare for more questions soon! [:D]

Thanks very much in advance!

• last edited
    last edited

@fizzyfox said:

If I get a machine with 8GB of RAM, am I still stuck with 2GB of samples (3GB with tweak) or do I get access to the extra RAM for samples (using Cubase 4 + VSL VI's [WinXP])

The time has now come - I have the funds and I'm buying the Cube within the next few weeks! - this is my final investigative phase, so prepare for more questions soon! [:D]

Thanks very much in advance!

Assuming your a PC, as far as I'm aware you will not be able to utilize more than the current 4GB unless you have XP or Vista64 and all hardware and software are 64bit compatible. And that is at least 12 months to two years down the line.

The top end MACs can do around 7GB i believe at the moment.

patience - it's coming.

• Ah cool! But just to clarify - I would be able to load upto 4GB of samples with 8GB memory onboard? (PC+winXP)

Cheers!

• No, that wont be possible. Im no PC man, but I believe u will be closer to 3GB for total sample amount.

• last edited
    last edited

@Vagn Luv said:

No, that wont be possible. Im no PC man, but I believe u will be closer to 3GB for total sample amount.

With 4 gb on board and XP - can only get to 2.8 gb.

Rob

• hi,
    do you guys recomment a little vst host that is ok with LAA ? for the moment i use xlutop chainer but don't know if it supports LAA (send a mail so support)

• last edited
    last edited

@vgodzillas said:

hi,
    do you guys recomment a little vst host that is ok with LAA ? for the moment i use xlutop chainer but don't know if it supports LAA (send a mail so support)

No it is not LAA, although using LaaTiDo seems to work and is stable (at least for me). I believe that Forte is LAA, but I've only tested with it; not used it in real world scenarios.

DG

• ok i'll try LaaTiDo. But i red above that forte is not 100% safe [[:P]]
    a memory question : i have xppro sp2 and strings1&2 (full) but i registered only the standard (waiting form a mail to register extended) so extended is demo for the moment. my free memory is going down while i play [[:P]] is it a demo limitation or a bug ?? (0.5meg/sec)

• last edited
    last edited

@vgodzillas said:

ok i'll try LaaTiDo. But i red above that forte is not 100% safe [[:P]]
    a memory question : i have xppro sp2 and strings1&2 (full) but i registered only the standard (waiting form a mail to register extended) so extended is demo for the moment. my free memory is going down while i play [[:P]] is it a demo limitation or a bug ?? (0.5meg/sec)

Try the demo of Forte before you write it off. I can't help you with your memory drain. Have you done a memory check to make sure that it is not bad RAM?

DG

• lol i thought laatido was a vst host [:P] it's only a test right ? (i did a test on my mem.. all is fine except free memory is going down downd... to stop it i have to bypass the VST vsl ON/OFF)... naa i'll try forte then

• Hi Mattias and all other friends I use your Memory Load Optimizer for GigaStudio( XR pro, Duo core with 2Gig of RAM), choose the setting 1 and has just bought the VI SE. I plan to buy the VI SE and install in the same computer. Whenever, I use the gigastudio 3, I will apply the settting 1 but before I use the VI,I will run the Memory Load Optimizer and press the revert to default settings and reboot the computer( as you suggest). Would this cause any problem? as I try not to buy another computer for VI if I can avoid Thanks for your help Tim Nguyen