Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,350 users have contributed to 42,293 threads and 255,053 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• Hey Guys.. Been looking into this myself.

My main concerns..will the 3GB switch work on XP home as well..? Some say only XP Pro.
    Also will the editbin hack work on with a host that uses the WIBU CM stick i.e Samplitude/Sequioa. Some say as soon as you tampler with the Samp.exe to dongle will not work.. and Samp will not start...

Anyone try any test like this?

Best , Rich

• last edited
    last edited

@Rich Pell said:

Hey Guys.. Been looking into this myself.

My main concerns..will the 3GB switch work on XP home as well..? Some say only XP Pro.
    Also will the editbin hack work on with a host that uses the WIBU CM stick i.e Samplitude/Sequioa. Some say as soon as you tampler with the Samp.exe to dongle will not work.. and Samp will not start...

Anyone try any test like this?

Best , Rich

AFAIK /3Gig switch should work with both flavours of XP. I don't know about Samplitude, but why not try it? As long as everything is backed up and you save a copy of the exe file elsewhere you can always replace it.

D

• What DG said. Unfortunately I don't have Samp myself so I can't test it. I have tested a couple of other hosts and haven't seen any problems though. I really doubt it would affect the dongle connection as you're just changing a single bit in the file header...

If you haven't used editbin before you might want to get my small Windows-based utility I wrote just some weeks ago which does the same thing with some additional features for LAA status checking. I'm currently updating my web site with information about it, but I haven't finished yet so it's not online... If you want it let me know and I'll send it to you.

/Mattias

• Thanks for the replies guys ! The main reason i havent checked it is cause i dont really want to shell out for the 2 extra gigs if it doesnt work [:D]
    Yea, i dont really want to use edit.bin as im not comepletly tweek savy either, but maybe i should try your util Mattias when i get the down time to experiment on my system (should be soon).. my email is vertigosound@sympatico.ca [:)]

Thanks again..Best , Rich

• last edited
    last edited

@Rich Pell said:

Thanks for the replies guys ! The main reason i havent checked it is cause i dont really want to shell out for the 2 extra gigs if it doesnt work [:D]
    Yea, i dont really want to use edit.bin as im not comepletly tweek savy either, but maybe i should try your util Mattias when i get the down time to experiment on my system (should be soon).. my email is vertigosound@sympatico.ca [:)]

Thanks again..Best , Rich

Rich please be aware that it might not be an extra 2 gigs. In order to run 3gigs I had to replace 2 sticks and to run 4 gigs I had to replace all 4, so I now have loads of 512Mb RAM sticks hanging around waiting for a good home!!

DG

• Hi DG,

Hmm. well it should be o.k here i think.. using the GA-K8NS ultra 939. Which can take 4 -1 gb sticks. Right now i have 2- 1 GB sticks Corsair DDR-400 twinX. Do they all have to be matching pairs or something?

Rich

• last edited
    last edited

@Rich Pell said:

Hi DG,

Hmm. well it should be o.k here i think.. using the GA-K8NS ultra 939. Which can take 4 -1 gb sticks. Right now i have 2- 1 GB sticks Corsair DDR-400 twinX. Do they all have to be matching pairs or something?

Rich

It depends on various things. You should be OK with your set-up, but only time will tell!!

DG

• In my case .. 'various ' meaning what ? [[;)]] Prepare me for the worst !! [:P] Rich

• last edited
    last edited

@Rich Pell said:

In my case .. 'various ' meaning what ? [[;)]] Prepare me for the worst !! [:P] Rich

Chipset, BIOS, drivers, weather, whatever... [:)] As one example my MSI Neo2 Ultra (also 939) refuse to work with 4 equal 1GB TwinMos sticks. 2 TwinMos and 2 Selectra works great though, go figure.

/Mattias

• last edited
    last edited

@Rich Pell said:

In my case .. 'various ' meaning what ? [[;)]] Prepare me for the worst !! [:P] Rich

Chipset, BIOS, drivers, weather, whatever... [:)] As one example my MSI Neo2 Ultra (also 939) refuse to work with 4 equal 1GB TwinMos sticks. 2 TwinMos and 2 Selectra works great though, go figure.

/Mattias

Hmm. sounds like it may be one of those quirky.."I mayget it to work one day senerios" !
    Thanks Alot for the "Util" Mattias ! I just got it...i may have some questions come tweeking time..Thanks alot guys.. Best, Rich

• last edited
    last edited

@Rich Pell said:

/Mattias

Hmm. sounds like it may be one of those quirky.."I mayget it to work one day senerios" !
    Thanks Alot for the "Util" Mattias ! I just got it...i may have some questions come tweeking time..Thanks alot guys.. Best, Rich
    One last thought. If you get your RAM from a dealer such a Crucial you might be able to return it within a certain period of time if it turns out not to be suitable.

DG

• Thanks DG ! Well , all this may be a moot if i cant make Samplitude LAA with Mattias`s Util. I`ll let you know soon. I have a feeling it wont work since even 1 character change in Samps.exe will render the CM stick protection useless apparently..damb dongle.. [:(] Talk soon , Rich

• Hi... Anyone tried this on a 3 or 3,5 GB system? Any significant difference in what can be loaded?

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Hi... Anyone tried this on a 3 or 3,5 GB system? Any significant difference in what can be loaded?

I haven't tried 3.5GB, but I guess that it would be the same as 4GB. Between 3 and 4GB there is approximately a difference of 100MB when it comes to sample loading.

DG

• Sweet... becuase most of my slaves have 4x512mb. If I can do with 3,5GB taking out one 512 and a single 2GB ram peice would be enough.

• last edited
    last edited

Sweet... becuase most of my slaves have 4x512mb. If I can do with 3,5GB taking out one 512 and a single 2GB ram peice would be enough.

If........................! My slaves work with paired memory, so that I can only get 3 or 4GB; not 3.5. They also have to fill all slots.[:(]

DG

• Cant't you put whatever you want in them? In my 4 slots I can put any combination, but to take use of Dual-Channel it must be the same size ram. But the ram boost from dual channel shouldnt have any say on how many samples I can load

• last edited
    last edited

Cant't you put whatever you want in them? In my 4 slots I can put any combination, but to take use of Dual-Channel it must be the same size ram. But the ram boost from dual channel shouldnt have any say on how many samples I can load

No, unfortunately mine doesn't like anything but pairs of RAM.

DG

• Sucky - admitedly I haven't tried. But in theory it should work. What mother board you useing - you know?

• last edited
    last edited

Sucky - admitedly I haven't tried. But in theory it should work. What mother board you useing - you know?

I'll email you the specs when I get a chance.

DG