Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,598 users have contributed to 42,396 threads and 255,538 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Could be a sign silicon is about ready, I hope. I'm happy to see they're VEP 7 licenses not VEP 8.

Vinny 2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB/ Mac OS Sonoma/ VEP7/ Mir 3D/ Synchronized SE1/ Synchron Harp/ V Smart Orch.+ Ext./ BBO Altair/ Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Analog Lab
  • I'm really curious about the holdup here. Checking this thread every now and then because after switching my intel mac for an M2 max my setup became quite useless. Running VEP7 on a slave PC. It's clicks pops en cracks alle the time. I am just an amateur so it is holding me back in having fun making music. Just thinking about all the professionals out here who depend on this software making a living out of it.

I really hope an update making silicon native is near. If that means a VEP8 all VEP7 should get a free update after this period.

I do understand that fundamental system upgrades (from apple) have a significant effect and need time to adapt to in terms of development. But as silicon (M1) was introduced in november 2020 we can clearly state VSL is seriously falling behind here.

It seems to me that now is the time for VSL to clarify a release date so that all users know where they stand.

• I saw that as well, people should contact Ilio and let their voice be heard. I run a film scoring academy and Ive advised my students to wait on vienna ensemble upgrades. This is probably the worst company Ive run across for being up to date, as well as really poor communication. Hopefully it will be soon. Rosetta really sucks. 

• last edited
    last edited

@MarkkraM said:

I'm really curious about the holdup here. Checking this thread every now and then because after switching my intel mac for an M2 max my setup became quite useless. Running VEP7 on a slave PC. It's clicks pops en cracks alle the time. I am just an amateur so it is holding me back in having fun making music. Just thinking about all the professionals out here who depend on this software making a living out of it.

I really hope an update making silicon native is near. If that means a VEP8 all VEP7 should get a free update after this period.

I do understand that fundamental system upgrades (from apple) have a significant effect and need time to adapt to in terms of development. But as silicon (M1) was introduced in november 2020 we can clearly state VSL is seriously falling behind here.

It seems to me that now is the time for VSL to clarify a release date so that all users know where they stand.

M1 was shown to the world and offered to developers (so they could get started updating their software to run on it) in June of 2020. That's when all music software companies started updating their code for the new Apple chips.

Nobody missed this moment - it was big news even in non-tech circles. So it's legitimately been three full years. 

M1 was opened to the public for download and usage in November of 2020.

• last edited
    last edited

@shmimpton said:

M1 was shown to the world and offered to developers (so they could get started updating their software to run on it) in June of 2020. That's when all music software companies started updating their code for the new Apple chips. 

Nobody missed this moment - it was big news even in non-tech circles. So it's legitimately been three full years. 

VSL has nothing to gain, money wise, this is probably why M1 native version is last on the pile !

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@shmimpton said:

VSL has nothing to gain, money wise, this is probably why M1 native version is last on the pile !

I'm not sure that's correct.  I would have happily paid for an updated bridge plugin 6 month to a year ago.  Not to mention this could be a paid upgrade when it comes out.  We don't know yet.  Also as discussed several times on this forum, people are looking/moving to other software.  So VSL is loosing customers over this.

• last edited
    last edited

Native M1 transition was announced on March 1st by Paul Kopf-Product Manager

The announced roadmap order was :
    - Synchron player (released March 1st)
    -Synchron Piano (released March 14)
    - MirPro 3D (released March 30)
    - AND THEN Vienna ensemble Pro

What happened during last 3 months ?????
    Did Vienna decided to change the roadmap ???
    Does everyone from Vienna are in Hollidays????
    did Paul lies to us ???

I'm desperately consulting this forum everyday since months and nothing happened. M1/M2 computers are able to get the workload without Vienna ensemble Pro for most of projects, but Vienna Ensemble Pro is a tremendous time saver when switching projects and I need it !!!

Vienna crew : please COMMUNICATE !!!!!

• Andddddd another week bites the dust....

• Paul,

Can you please run through the steps to start a Rosetta version of VEPro? I assume there is just a VEPro version labeled as such that you download, then start, open your DAW and then Connect to your software ( Dorico in my case). But then, as you fill in mixer slots on Rosetta VEPro, do you use a special, Rosetta version of VIPro as well, as your sample player within VEPro?  My OSX is now 10.15,  Catalina — looking at getting an M2

I’m getting confused. 

Steve

• last edited
    last edited

@Ege said:

Paul,

Can you please run through the steps to start a Rosetta version of VEPro? I assume there is just a VEPro version labeled as such that you download, then start, open your DAW and then Connect to your software ( Dorico in my case). But then, as you fill in mixer slots on Rosetta VEPro, do you use a special, Rosetta version of VIPro as well, as your sample player within VEPro?  My OSX is now 10.15,  Catalina — looking at getting an M2

I’m getting confused. 

Steve

You're on an Intel Mac, Steve so you're good to go. The Intel Mac version of VEP is all there is currently (and why the M1&2 users in this thread are becoming increasingly irritated) Rosetta is a workaround so Apple Silicon Mac's can run (in a convoluted, diminished fashion) old Intel coded apps like VEP is currently. It is irrelevant to Intel Macs. However, per all the the irritation in this thread, I'd wait until there's an Apple Silicon native version of VEP before getting the M2 if VEP is a crucial part of your workflow. ...lest you become one of the irritated. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Dan Wool said:

Rosetta is a workaround so Apple Silicon Mac's can run (in a convoluted, diminished fashion) old Intel coded apps like VEP is currently.

This. And even more frustratingly, VEP kidnaps most DAWs and plugins and forces them to run in Rosetta, although they have been native for years at this point...

Deep sigh...

• Any good news? Please communicate with us.

• Thx, Dan. The clouds have parted. S. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Davka said:

Any good news? Please communicate with us.

Don't hold your breath...

• And another one gone, and another one gone.  Another week bites the dust...

• @rockdude9k said in [Apple Silicon Native Transition](/post/316927):
    And another one gone, and another one gone. Another week bites the dust...
    Too true. I think the simple reality is there is a problem. This isn’t releasing this year and quite possibly isn’t releasing ever. If it was they’d say something.

• There very well may be a problem, but as time continues to elapse, this is feeling like more than just getting VEP and Apple Silicon to work together. I’m starting to think GPU audio might be a factor here given the forthcoming integration with MIR and VSL’s interoperability among their tools. That kind of paradigm shift would be a lot more challenging and would explain the reluctance to develop an intermediate solution between Intel and this next iteration of VE Pro.

Mac Studio (M2) | macOS Ventura 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | VE Pro 7.3.3610 | Digital Performer 11.3
  • @afterlight said in [Apple Silicon Native Transition](/post/316941):

@rockdude9k said in [Apple Silicon Native Transition](/post/316927):

Too true.

I think the simple reality is there is a problem. This isn’t releasing this year and quite possibly isn’t releasing ever. If it was they’d say something.

Why are you saying this? Paul said the next VE Pro update will be compatible with Apple Silicon. It's the last release of round 1, so it should be there soon. I think the transition is going pretty well. 

• Going well in the sense that it's only three years late. Years! What's really irritating is that the communication is just so poor, on the excuse of not making promises. People rely on this software to make hardware decisions. It's them and audioease (altiverb at this point) still holding out on Rosetta and saying that it's somehow awesome. Anything else I've seen without a silicon installer is abandonware. "Don't want to give estimates" is just absurd in this day and age.

I love Ensemble and have used it virtually since day one, and if they can get it together it'll be immense. But there are so many people out there waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting, VSL are only hurting themselves by not being factual with it. The irritation in this thread is real, but it comes from a place of really, really loving this software and the potential it holds with Apple Silicon and the need to plan hardware and studio upgrades. Knowing if it's this YEAR or not would be a start! I know of no other software companies other than one man bands that can't tell you what year they expect to release - and usually, what quarter. Q3, Q4 2023? Hopefully. But hope is all we have and checking this forum day in day out.

@daviddln said in [Apple Silicon Native Transition](/post/316953):

@afterlight said in [Apple Silicon Native Transition](/post/316941):

@rockdude9k said in [Apple Silicon Native Transition](/post/316927):

Too true.

I think the simple reality is there is a problem. This isn’t releasing this year and quite possibly isn’t releasing ever. If it was they’d say something.

Why are you saying this? Paul said the next VE Pro update will be compatible with Apple Silicon. It's the last release of round 1, so it should be there soon. I think the transition is going pretty well. 

• Hey, I can't get an M2

Another week bites the dust...