Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,598 users have contributed to 42,396 threads and 255,538 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Hi, 

We are all waiting for the next great beta version from our development team, they're ironing out a few bugs with VE Pro.
    So I'm PERSONALLY calculating with the next weeks, but I have been wrong before, and this is unfortunately not an official announcement. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

We are all waiting for the next great beta version from our development team, they're ironing out a few bugs with VE Pro.
    So I'm PERSONALLY calculating with the next weeks, but I have been wrong before, and this is unfortunately not an official announcement. 

Best, 
    Paul

June 6th is my birthday. So to speak... 😉

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

Best, 
    Paul

Thank you Paul!  This update is greatly appreciated, and duly noted that it is just your personal guess, with no guarantees.  

Regards,
    Dedric

• What I worry about is the MAS version making it to Apple Silicon. Digital Performer gets ignored a lot these days, and the MAS version is so much better than the AU version in DP it's night and day. I don't have much trust in the VST3 format, 15 years later and it's still buggy here and there. 

• last edited
    last edited

I have a Kludge version of VEP running in Pro Tools Silicon hosting audio effects on a remote PC server.

For some reason, the latest version of Blue Cat Patchwork loads some intel-only plugins (in AU format only) when running in Silicon.

I have Vienna Ensemble Pro.component and Vienna Ensemble Pro Audio Input loaded in Pro Tools 23.3.0.89, hosted in Patchwork, and running in Silicon.

I use VEP for hosting large Kontakt sessions and during mixes as a remote effects rack. The remote effects rack model is what I have working. I usually bring the effects returns back on different aux channels in Pro Tools, but the Pro Tools Aux channels are not returning separate audio from VEP outputs (This may be simply a config issue in Patchwork, but I have not investigated it yet).

I have yet to need or test the VST instrument host model.

In the video, I have Black Hole and Acustica’s Silver (Plate) running in VEP on a networked PC.

VEP 7.2.1516 server & plugins

Pro Tools 23.3.0.89

Patchwork 2.6.5

Gene Lennon

• Is this video:

1) the latest version of Native ARM/Silicon supported ProTools 2023.3

2) running a Beta of VEPro Silicon .. 

?

• last edited
    last edited

@Louis C said:

Is this video:

1) the latest version of Native ARM/Silicon supported ProTools 2023.3

2) running a Beta of VEPro Silicon .. 

?

All versions are listed. Not a Beta. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Michael Canavan said:

What I worry about is the MAS version making it to Apple Silicon. Digital Performer gets ignored a lot these days, and the MAS version is so much better than the AU version in DP it's night and day. I don't have much trust in the VST3 format, 15 years later and it's still buggy here and there. 

+1 on the MAS. I‘ve pretty much completed migration to my maxed out M2 laptop, all native, & as great as it is, I could see me still getting some use out of my old iMac Pro through VEPro. I‘ll probably never leave DP (unless the others suddenly decides to add wait-for-note capability), please please please….MAS 🙏🏼

• I see there is a new VSL Pro 7 update, v7.2.1526, and there is something in the notes about this version being a preparation for Silicon. Could you give us more information?

• Hi, 

This will most likely be the last version before the Apple Silicon version, and it will be a reliable rollback option. All fixes have been integrated in our Silicon development environment as well, so we're getting closer. 

Unfortunately I still can't provide you with an ETA (we will simply release the version when it's there), but the beta versions we're working and testing with are impressively stable.

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@dmansfield said:

I see there is a new VSL Pro 7 update, v7.2.1526, and there is something in the notes about this version being a preparation for Silicon. Could you give us more information?

I would skip that version if your are using the MAS version. I'm getting a lot of clicks and cuttoffs with just one track playing (with my buffer set to the max 2048.) Just unusable on my system. Reverting back. Hopefully the proper native M1 is ready soon, long time coming.

• Really looking forward to the day I don't have to check this forum every morning...

• Still checking this thread for update every morning...

• last edited
    last edited

@Michael Canavan said:

What I worry about is the MAS version making it to Apple Silicon. Digital Performer gets ignored a lot these days, and the MAS version is so much better than the AU version in DP it's night and day. I don't have much trust in the VST3 format, 15 years later and it's still buggy here and there. 

+1 on the MAS. I‘ve pretty much completed migration to my maxed out M2 laptop, all native, & as great as it is, I could see me still getting some use out of my old iMac Pro through VEPro. I‘ll probably never leave DP (unless the others suddenly decides to add wait-for-note capability), please please please….MAS 🙏🏼

I emailed them and they confirmed the MAS plug in is also being ported. 

• Another week, more crickets...

• The pain... Apple just announced M2 Ultra machines yet I'm still running Rosetta...

I know the devs are working hard, but man the wait is just too long...

• Yup, 8 CPU releases now (plus the DTK).  And yet we are all gonna reward VSL when it does come out by giving them our money.

Really wish there was a viable alternative at this point...

And yes I've checked out AudioGrinder, but I've invested so much time and thought into my VEP rig that redoing all of that work with a company that is just getting started seems risky.

Maybe in a couple years I'll switch.  Definitely feel left out to dry by VSL right now.

• I agree 100% I am absolutely shocked! Beta testers (who are friends) are using the silicon version of this product flawlessly! Yet, there is no option for us to at least jump into that version. And even more no clear communication other than we are working on it. I look forward to the day VEP is not needed because computers can handle the task. 

• It's hard to be too sympathetic to VSL. We're now 3 years removed from the developer release of the M1 chip (WWDC20 in June, 2020). As a software company that makes software for Mac, you'd have to think that they'd have been aware of developer previews of a new chip. I'm sure they were. Even if they weren't, though, the M1 was released to the public in Nov, 2020. That's two and a half years ago. If it was important to VSL, they'd surely have completed the update by now. Yes, it's hard to refactor programs to work with a new chipset, but 2 1/2 to 3 years is a long time in developer time. My guess is that, although this group of users really wants VEP, we are a small group. As a business, VSL is probably more interested in growing their sample library business. I'm sure there's a much larger customer base there.

Apologies if this has been said - I can't read the whole thread. I too have been waiting all this time, sadly. 

• I gave up on waiting for VEPro.  VEP only hosts samples on one PC slave now (standalone version, not the server).  The other runs Cantabile.  I moved to digital audio I/O and network/RTP midi to connect my M1 Mac to both PCs.  It works very well, is very stable, and I can stay 100% M1 native with DP, Logic, ProTools or Nuendo without worrying about VEP plugin/server M1 compatibility, and processing overhead is lower.  

I made the switch from PC to Mac this year specifically to run DP, and it made zero sense to step backwards in speed and buy an Intel Mac just to stick with VEP, especially with M2s already on the horizon at the time.  

Sorry VSL, but 3 years really is too long.  We have work to do, and little time to make these major changes.