Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,580 users have contributed to 42,241 threads and 254,852 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@crd said:

You are getting much better performance than I am. I will have to take a dayto try and trouble shoot what is making my system choke at any buffer less than 1024. Are you able to run large sessions (full orchestra) at 128?
    If it's all VI pro instruments (40-60 instances all in mirpro), then it will occasionally click here and there every 5 min or so (I think that's my entry level interface). Once I add kontakt, third party verbs, cfx, synths etc. there are clicks every min or so and I'll up it to 256. It's worth noting that I only use this buffer setting for live playing in parts. Once it's all settled and time for fine tuning, I crank it up to 2048. I'm finding I live play less and less since integrating Reaticulate into my workflow, which is lovely - feels more like composing and less like DJing. I also use the "render take fx" function to get individual midi items into temporary WAV "takes" if a certain section is clicking too much.

• I embarrassing realized that I was trying to run my VEPro through my wifi connection rather than the ethernet cable between my two computers. Now that I fixed that I am getting much better results (duh).

The feedback routing is working well for me, except sometimes the first channel stops sending midi to VEPro if I have an effects send on the channel. Does this happen to anyone else?

• last edited
    last edited

@crd said:

I embarrassing realized that I was trying to run my VEPro through my wifi connection rather than the ethernet cable between my two computers. Now that I fixed that I am getting much better results (duh).

The feedback routing is working well for me, except sometimes the first channel stops sending midi to VEPro if I have an effects send on the channel. Does this happen to anyone else?

Another user found a bug with feedback routing.  If you have any of the feedback routing enabled tracks sending to anything else, the first (but only the first) track will not send MIDI if it's *above* the VEPro track in the track control panel.  If this is the case with you, try moving any tracks with VEPro instances to the very top of your project's track list and it should fix the problem.

- Sam

• Moving it to the top solved it. Thank you! I am loving the workflow I'm developing with Reaper.

• Thank you so much for this, Sam.

I'm new to Reaper after many years on Cubase and can't figure one thing out with your routing: Everything looks good but I can't figure out why I'm not hearing audio from any of the MIDI tracks. I'm seeing audio (colored red) on them, just not hearing it. I'm sure it's a stupid mistake but I just can't figure it out.

• last edited
    last edited

@Headlands said:

Thank you so much for this, Sam.

I'm new to Reaper after many years on Cubase and can't figure one thing out with your routing: Everything looks good but I can't figure out why I'm not hearing audio from any of the MIDI tracks. I'm seeing audio (colored red) on them, just not hearing it. I'm sure it's a stupid mistake but I just can't figure it out.

When this happens to me, the two main culprits are:

1) I forgot to turn on "Input Monitoring" in the track itself (not the one with the Ensemble Pro Server plugin, but the track that's actually inputing MIDI and receiving audio back).  Depending on the theme you're using, you can find this in the TCP (Track Control Panel) or Mixer.

2) The Expression or Volume CC (11 and 7, respectively) are accidentally turned down for that particular instance of VI or Synchron Player.  I can't tell you how many times I've tweaked CC envelopes, forgot I had done so, and then freaked out thinking the audio wasn't working when the reality is that Expression was just set at 0 the whole time!

Does one of those two fix your problem?

- Sam

• last edited
    last edited

@Seventh Sam said:

1) I forgot to turn on "Input Monitoring" in the track itself (not the one with the Ensemble Pro Server plugin, but the track that's actually inputing MIDI and receiving audio back).  Depending on the theme you're using, you can find this in the TCP (Track Control Panel) or Mixer.

2) The Expression or Volume CC (11 and 7, respectively) are accidentally turned down for that particular instance of VI or Synchron Player.  I can't tell you how many times I've tweaked CC envelopes, forgot I had done so, and then freaked out thinking the audio wasn't working when the reality is that Expression was just set at 0 the whole time!

- Sam

Yes, expression and volume CC are always ghosts in the closet, hahaha.

Thanks for the help!

It was total rookie routing error, it turns out...years on Cubase and getting used to Reaper. 😊

• last edited
    last edited

@Seventh Sam said:

- Sam

Yes, expression and volume CC are always ghosts in the closet, hahaha.

Thanks for the help!

It was total rookie routing error, it turns out...years on Cubase and getting used to Reaper. 😊

Most welcome 😊  Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Also, I tend to be a bit of a broken record on this, but check this out:

https://reaticulate.com/

This articulation management system (for REAPER) - if you like its workflow - will save you HOURS of time diddling with keyswitches.

- Sam

EDIT:

This post I made might be of use to you as well:

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/m290245-For-REAPER-users--Articulation-Management-System-for-all-Strings--Woodwind-and-Brass-VI-Libraries#post290245

• One question: I'm able to get this to work perfectly for the first port in VE Pro (which is Strings in my template), but I can't get any MIDI going to the second port (Brass in my template). I tried MIDI bus 2 and bus 1, with no luck. Is there something I might be missing? 

• last edited
    last edited

@Headlands said:

One question: I'm able to get this to work perfectly for the first port in VE Pro (which is Strings in my template), but I can't get any MIDI going to the second port (Brass in my template). I tried MIDI bus 2 and bus 1, with no luck. Is there something I might be missing? 

Make sure the following settings match, as pictured:

https://imgur.com/x57kq5Z

Essentially:

When using MIDI Bus/Port #1, the following settings should be made:

In REAPER's Send configuration window:

MIDI: [All] and [Channel #]

In Ensemble Pro:

Port: 1 Channel: [Channel #]

Once you want to expand beyond 16 instances and use Bus/Port #2 and beyond, REAPER's syntax gets a little confusing.  I'll use examples:

Let's say you want the track to receive MIDI data on Bus #2, Channel 12.

- Set REAPER's Send configuration for that track to:

MIDI [All] -> [Bus 2, 2/12]

- Then, set Ensemble Pro's settings to:

Port: 2 Channel: 12

Hopefully that clears it up and fixes your problem!

- Sam

• Also, there's a little obscure pair of settings that might be the culprit of Bus 2 and beyond are not working.  Do the following:

- Open the Ensemble Pro Server FX window in REAPER.  Make sure you are using the VST3i version of the Ensemble Pro Plugin.  As far as I'm aware, Ports/Buses beyond #1 won't work in REAPER unless it's VST3 (this might have been fixed in REAPER 6).

- Click on the button in the top right part of the window that says something like "2/64" out.  It will open a window with a grid.

- On that new window, click the small button that says I/O, again in the top right.  You'll get a drop down menu.

- In that menu, you need to change a few settings.  They are:

• Midi Input -> Map REAPER MIDI Buses to VST3 MIDI Buses
    • Midi Output -> Map VST3 MIDI Buses to REAPER MIDI Buses

Make sure both those are checked.  Once they are, Buses 2 and up will interact correctly with Ensemble Pro, allowing you to have 256 separate instruments in a single Ensemble Pro instance.  Yay!

• last edited
    last edited

@Seventh Sam said:

Also, there's a little obscure pair of settings that might be the culprit of Bus 2 and beyond are not working.  Do the following:

- Open the Ensemble Pro Server FX window in REAPER.  Make sure you are using the VST3i version of the Ensemble Pro Plugin.  As far as I'm aware, Ports/Buses beyond #1 won't work in REAPER unless it's VST3 (this might have been fixed in REAPER 6).

- Click on the button in the top right part of the window that says something like "2/64" out.  It will open a window with a grid.

- On that new window, click the small button that says I/O, again in the top right.  You'll get a drop down menu.

Make sure both those are checked.  Once they are, Buses 2 and up will interact correctly with Ensemble Pro, allowing you to have 256 separate instruments in a single Ensemble Pro instance.  Yay!

THAT was it - I had forgotten about that. Thank you again good sir.

• last edited
    last edited

@Seventh Sam said:

Also, there's a little obscure pair of settings that might be the culprit of Bus 2 and beyond are not working.  Do the following:

THAT was it - I had forgotten about that. Thank you again good sir.

No worries.  I guess the trade off for REAPER's flexibility is the interface is a little...unintuitive 😊

I recommend saving those settings into a track template so you never have to deal with it again.

- Sam

• last edited
    last edited

Thank you for your original post Sam.

I was close to pulling my hair out over this.

Many thanks!   👍👍👍

• last edited
    last edited

@Rellek said:

Thank you for your original post Sam.

I was close to pulling my hair out over this.

Many thanks!   👍👍👍

You're welcome!  Glad to have helped.

• Hey - Just a thank you for the tip about using the VST3i version of the plugin as well as NOT using the Event Plugin. I was using both the 'wrong' vst version as well as the event plugin and not getting anywhere fast. I also agree that routing inside Reaper is very much 'non-intuitive' at first... :-D

• Thanks Sam ,

very useful tip . One Question : 

I tried to set up a send  to an fx on a track that sends the midi data to VE Pro. After that, the track doesn't seem to send the midi data anymore. Is there a workaround for sending the midi data to VE Pro with a track, receiving audio from VE Pro on the track and additionally sending it to an fx?

Thanks and greets 

Markus 

• last edited
    last edited

Hi,

Reaper 7 now supports 128 buses/16 ports compared to Reaper 6 only 16 buses/16 ports. But it doesn't seem to work above bus 16. No midi on 17/1+ for me. I checked "Map Reaper MIDI Buses to VST3 MIDI Buses" in I/O for both input and output. VEPro7 Server is set to 48 midi ports per instance and VEPro VST3 plugin to 48 midi ports too.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Matej

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Vienna Instruments Pro on
  • I'm having some issues with the mod wheel when i set it up like this :

• @justjero said:

I'm having some issues with the mod wheel when i set it up like this :

turns out you can't have omni selected with sine player