Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,133 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,984 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Does it help lower CPU in DP to lower the 48x16 available midi channels per instantiation? or doesnt it matter? 

• last edited
    last edited

@labman said:

Does it help lower CPU in DP to lower the 48x16 available midi channels per instantiation? or doesnt it matter?
    I don't believe so but I'll address it in the part 2 to my last DP/VEP video which should be up later this week. Upping the buffer size in the VEP server interface and optimizing the VEP thread count definitely helps with playback and online bouncing to audio though. Steve

Regards, Steve Steele https://www.stevesteele.com
  • Same with me.

Constant crashes DP 8 with 5.4.13682

rig was stable under old VEP.

Seems to be as the VEP template gets larger, crashes started occuring.

Sent support an email.

Love you guys - but this one sucked boiled eggs. Lost a lot of time dealing with it.

• last edited
    last edited

@edhamilton said:

Same with me. Constant crashes DP 8 with 5.4.13682 rig was stable under old VEP. Seems to be as the VEP template gets larger, crashes started occuring. Sent support an email. Love you guys - but this one sucked boiled eggs. Lost a lot of time dealing with it.
    Have you noticed anything in the crash logs? 5.4.13682 has been extremely stable for me.

• Hi, 

We´re really having a hard time to reproduce these crashes here. 

@Ed: You think this is automation-related, can you please send us such a song (best as a zip file) to support@vsl.co.at?

That´s the fastest way to move forward, the next release candidate is already in the pipeline. 

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • I have had a smooth transition to the MAS version with no major issues at my end. I even combined frames from 2 computers and merged them to a new one.

Now one thing I noticed it seems like loading of samples works differently than the AU version. I have my VE-PRO plug-ins in V-RACKs organize by groups and sections that are disabled by default. I did this so my template would load fast (as it doesn't load anything) then I would simply enable the sections I need for a given cue say strings and woodwinds and leave everything else off.

Now after I've converted to the MAS version eventhough all my VE-PRO plug-ins (in V-RACKS) are disabled it goes and load everything as I open my template. Is this new normal? Am I missing something? Anybody else noticed that?

• last edited
    last edited

Hello everybody,

We just uploaded a new version of Vienna Ensemble PRO, 5.4.13715.

Hope you like the improvements, especially for DP users:

•Added: Transparent migration from VST/AU to MAS (see VE PRO 5 manual: Important Notes for Digital Performer Users)
    •Added: Default MAS plug-in to Realtime (instead of Pregen) mode
    •Fixed: MAS plug-in not properly going offline when disabling a V-Rack Chunk in Digital Performer
    •Fixed: Incorrect latency compensation and time info in MAS plug-in
    •Fixed: Potential superfluous parameter change messages being sent to master host from plug-ins
    •Fixed: 'AutoGroupSelectedChannels' option (changes in preferences were not considered in VE/MIR PRO since the parameter was overwritten from a hidden control in MIR PRO preferences)
    •Fixed: Instances not loading minimized (Preferences setting) if loading from master host
    •Fixed OSX: Certain AU plug-ins (u-he and others) not able to automate properly over the full parameter range
    •Fixed OSX: Space bar transport not working when connected to Digital Performer
    •Fixed OSX: Shortened delay on space bar transport control (Start/Stop) when connected to Digital Performer, Pro Tools or Studio One

NOTE: DP projects saved with the previous version of the MAS plug-in need to be loaded with AU/VST plug-ins disabled in DP.

Best,
    Paul

• Wonderful! Thanks so much, works like it used to but only better!

• Thank you Paul!

• Re VEP Server 5.4.13715, discovering that projects (created in rev 5.3.13407) with VEP instances distributed between my Mac master and PC slave, no longer load properly.  

VEP tries to load all the instances on the Mac. Instances which lived on the PC slave no longer load there.

I can create a new DP project and create a VEP instance on the PC slave, and it works.  

But projects created in 5.3.13670 do NOT work in 5.4.13407, and are rendered dead in the water.  I will have to roll back to the previous rev. in order to continue work on my project.

--Chuck

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Chuck,

Please contact me under support@vsl.co.at, with a short description of your activated VST/AU/MAS settings and your network setup. Sounds like a network problem to me.

Also, did you check the new chapter "Important Information for Digital Performer Users" in the VE PRO 5 manual?

Best,
    Paul

• Paul, I did check out that section, yes.  I did deactivate the MAS versions of the plugins and am using the AUs.

As mentioned, if I create a new DP project, I can instantiate VEP on the slave PC and play it normally, without problems.  The new project will also play properly upon being closed and re-opened. 

The problem comes into play only on old projects.  Unfortunately it persists even after rolling back to 5.3.13407, which surprises me.

On opening old projects, VEP instances which lived on the slave PC now try to load on the master Mac, preventing the project from loading properly (particularly since, for instance, Kontakt instances from the PC aren't recognized on the Mac or vice versa.  When the PC instance attempts to load on the Mac, I get the error message: "Errors occurred while loading plugins: Integrated: Vienna MIR Pro Equalizer (Could not create plugin) VST: Kontakt 5 (Could not create plugin)).  It also happens when opening autosaves of the DP projects, which by definition had been working at the time of being autosaved.

Again, I am not using the MAS versions of the VEP plugins, but the AU. And the fact that new projects utilizing VEP instances on the slave PC function normally seems to disprove a network problem.

This has basically rendered all my projects un-openable.  A pretty horrendous outcome.  Your soonest help would be appreciated.

Network setup: Mac and PC, both running VEP server 5.3.13407, Netgear Prosafe GS105 (recently rebooted)

--Chuck

• Hi Chuck, 

Thanks for the description. I actually meant your network setup... Are you using static IP addresses (you should)?
    VE PRO connects based on 2 parameters: the IP address and the instance name (preserved name). 

Let´s take it from there. 

I think we would be much faster and more efficient if you could contact me directly at support@vsl.co.at, this way we wouldn´t fill this announcement thread with a specific problem, if that´s ok for you. You can include screenshots and projects for me to check, if you like. 

Thanks, 
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Chuck, 

Thanks for the description. I actually meant your network setup... Are you using static IP addresses (you should)?
    VE PRO connects based on 2 parameters: the IP address and the instance name (preserved name). 

Let´s take it from there. 

I think we would be much faster and more efficient if you could contact me directly at support@vsl.co.at, this way we wouldn´t fill this announcement thread with a specific problem, if that´s ok for you. You can include screenshots and projects for me to check, if you like. 

Thanks, 
    Paul

Hey, Paul,

Thanks for the great update and for the helpful replies you've been giving, here.

While it's totally understandable that you'd move this individual support issue out of this thread and handle it via email, it might still be helpful, once the issue is resolved, for you to post the fix here — in case anyone else encounters a similar issue.  ðŸ˜Š  

This is a big change (a welcome one!), and many of us are finding this thread very helpful, as we contemplate upgrading our setups. As such, reading about various issues — and their solutions — is invaluable.

Thanks!

• Hey Thread Folks,

Since updating to 5.4.13715 I'm having crashes when I try load old VEP projects.  I'm using stand alone on several PCs with the new version and all of them are misbehaving identically.  The project I'm trying to load was saved under the version immediately before 5.4.13715 and this is the first time I've ever experienced something like this with VEP5.

When I try to open any of my projects everything starts to load up, then VEP crashes and I'm back at my desktop.  Funny thing is, when I look under Windows Task Manager, the RAM footprint of the project which failed to load remains, as does Vienna Ensemble Pro x64.exe under Processes.

Is anyone experiencing this problem and what is the solution?  Thanks to all for the help!!

• Hi dayjobmusic, 

We´re already looking into this. If you want to, you can send us one of your projects with a short description, the more examples we have, the better: support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

• I am new to the soft synth environment and am in the process of getting set up.  I just purchased several of the VSL special editions, Vienna Imperial, Ensemble Pro 5 & the Mir Bundle.  I am using Sonar X1 Producer.  I received an email from a VSL rep stating that I can use an unlimited number of VSL instruments simultaneously.  Is that true?  If so, can you recommend any tutorials on how to set that up with Sonar?

• You can run as many imstruments as your CPU can handle, basically. There are many ways to optimize settings and workflow that can do wonders for your setup and playback.

Download and watch all the VSL videos that apply from your "My VSL" area.

Watch the Sonor videos that deal with optimizing Sonars playback engine (set buffer jigh when playing back!)

Get as much RAM as you can afford!

Get as many SSDs as you can afford!

Unerstand the best way to optimize your DAW with VEPro. I have a video on Youtube about that subject if you wanna check it out here... 

I use Digital Performer but you'll see the big picture at least if not more. I have two more vids coming.

Optimize the VSL Instrument Player once note entry is done.

Do you have MIR?

Look for more Sonar/VEP videos and READ THE MANUAL!

Hit me back or PM me with questions if you want. You'll be up an running in no time.

Cheers!

Steve

• Has our beloved MAS VEPro version been tested with DP9?

• last edited
    last edited

@labman said:

Has our beloved MAS VEPro version been tested with DP9?

I've not comprehensively tested it but I opened a file created under DP8.07 that made extensive use of MAS VEPRO without problem in DP9. Also, installing DP9 does not remove DP8 so if there is a problem you can just go back to using DP8.