Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,384 users have contributed to 42,223 threads and 254,774 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• I haven't been able to reproduce this with other tempo synced plugins, so it seems like Kontakt (or one of its libraries) is eating a lot of CPU during tempo changes, causing crackles in large templates. It seems like a problem to solve by Native Instruments (or the specific library manufacturer).

• This only happens with Kontakt in VEPro with Cubase.  When I connect DP to the same instance of VEPro tempo changes work great.  Also when I had the same template with Logic I did not have a problem with tempo changes.  It potentially has something to do with the VST implementation?  Also when I load the libraries directly in Cubase tempo changes work fine as well.  So I am not sure the problem is in Kontakt.  If you want I can send you my VEPro Metaframe.

• Like I wrote above, Cubase + VEP + Kontakt used to work just fine. AFAIK it started out of the blue with no configuration change on my Mac.

• I'm in contact with NI about this Kontakt issue, so hope is on the horizon.

• Any news? This has started happening for me too.

• What's the latest from NI Karel?  I too am wrestling with this issue on Cubase 6 on PC. 

What about the other posters? Have any of you stumbled across a solution?

Brett

• I just had this issue with a tempo ramping down and a CPU spike and pops/clicks.

I went into each instance of Kontakt 5 and turned off the External tempo sync. FYI, it's in the Master section in BPM.

The problem totally went away.

BTW - I am running Cubase 7 in Windows 7 PC, with Ableton Live 8 and VEPro running as well. All in 64 bit.

Obviously a NI K5 issue.  Hope this helps

• Thanks mc202. Yes I've tried this and it does indeed fix the issue, but it's not too useful if you are working with tempo matched loops :)

Any further info from NI Karel?

cheers - Brett

• I would suggest directing questions directly to NI. They will probably be able to give more information on why these issues occur.

• Fair enough Karel.  It's just that you mentioned you were in contact with them in an earlier post above and so I figured you were far more likely to get a straight answer from them than I would.  Have they at least acknowledged it as an issue and flagged it for a fix?

B

• Are you guys running Altiverb in your projects by any chance? I was able to remove clicks and pops described by the OP by removing all of my Altiverb instances. It's worth giving a try. Cheers, Edouard

• Interesting EdouardB. Were they on the VEP axes or just inside your host session? What host please?

• I do not own or use Altiverb....in my case it specifically looks like the problem happens when I am using Kontakt inside of VE PRO....as I stated earlier Kontakt does not have this problem inside of Cubase only inside of VE PRO.

• Labman - I use Cubase 7.03 on a MacPro (ML 10.8.3). The 3 Altiverb instances are used on auxes inside Cubase. Dlpmusic - looking at theActivity Monitor, there is definitely a surge in processor usage during tempo changes using Kontakt inside VEP with Cubase (as long as Kontakt is tempo-synced to the host). While the Altiverb "fix" alleviates the distorting audio for me, I will do more testing to try to lower that usage (and possible resulting distorting audio). On another note, I did remove the buses inside VEP, and that seemed to have dramatically reduced CPU usage, too. Instead of submixing VI outputs inside VEP, I just route the VI outputs to VEP outputs. It may be worth trying for you. I did contact NI regarding the Cubase/VEP/Kontakt/tempo ramps combo, and they have been of no help whatsoever. Edouard

• Has anyone gotten further with this tempo change clicking in Kontakt 5 issue?

Someone earlier said that it only happens when Kontakt is in VEPro, I have proven this incorrect. It is happening when Kontakt is opened inside Cubase 7 here.

If you score film/TV, this issue is a huge one; I'm constantly trying to figure out how to work around this, but usually it's a huge inconvenience and time waster to solve. And I cannot write any accelerando or rallentandos, for sure.

Thoughts?  NI still doesn't quite feel film scoring composers rank high enough to sort out problems specific to them!

• For those people still having problems, did you test what I sugested over a year ago and use tempo jumps, rather than ramps?

DG

• That solution does not solve the problem, whether it's a jump or a ramp, there is an audible click/pop at the tempo change.

Thanks,  Mr A

• That is my experience as well. Whether it's a jump or a ramp there is an audible pop.

I have not experienced this problem in DP or Logic which both use Audio Units. Also this does not happen with non kontakt instruments. So it appears this is a problem with the VST plugin version of kontakt for tempo synched instances. Is NI aware of this?

• Hang on a second. Now I'm confused. Are you saying that with a Windows slave, running VEP with Kontakt, and a Logic/DP host machine, this is not a problem?

DG

• That is correct. This seems to be a problem with VST. Cubase running on windows connected to a VEPro slave on windows exhibits the same problem. Change the Daw to logic or DP using Audio units and tempo changes work with no distortion.