Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,022 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,971 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• How are you disabling the tempo sync in every instance of Kontakt? What procedure please? Any other discoveries since your last post? thanks!!!

• Has this thread died? I am too very much interested in a solution to this problem. When I run my large orchestral template with VE Pro and Kontakt I have the same issues with regards to pops. I will try turning off the tempo synch in Kontakt for the instances that do not need it and see if that helps.
    To turn off tempo synch:
    Open the Kontakt instance in VEPro
    Click on the Master button
    Deselect the "Ext" next to the BPM

Kontakt should now use its internal tempo for synching.
    Obviously this is not a long term solution so I hope someone at who can fix this at Vienna or NI is reading this thread.
    JB
    Cubase 6.5 on a Mac Pro 8-core OSX 10.6.8 12GB Ram
    VE Pro 5 on three Core i7 Windows 7 PC's with 32GB of Ram

• I never thought about tempo sync, apparently I never found the need. however I looked at it, I have external sync enabled in every case; I have projects that double the tempo or more in Cubase. But, I am using Kontakt 4. This seems like an issue for NI per Kontakt 5 to me.

• I've just joined the club. Distortion, Kontakt-only instruments in VEP 5 (VSL stuff not affected), CPU through the roof, and only on tempo ramp (in Cubase).

The weird part of it is that I've been working on the same 4-5 projects this week, using the same template, no change whatsoever, no upgrade, nothing. I just opened a project from three days ago and spent half an hour figuring out what was causing this.

If it was a config problem I'd understand (sort of), but this just happened out of nowhere. Very strange.

Like everyone here, I deactivated Kontakt tempo sync but this is obviously not a solution.

• I too have issues with tempo changes using Cubase 6.5x and VE PRO.  I am not sure if it is just Kontakt or not, but my template is gigantic and I run a sound card buffer of 128.  I noticed that when mixing if I increase my sound card buffer to 512 I can mix the cues with no issues what so ever that I hear at 128 samples.  So I assume by me increasing to 512 that it is lowering the cpu usage across all machines getting rid of the problem.  In other words I think this shows more evidence that there is a cpu spike happening on the slave machines during tempo changes.

-Danny

• I would really like to see this solved.  Has anyone determined if this is a VE PRO problem or a Kontakt issue?

• I haven't been able to reproduce this with other tempo synced plugins, so it seems like Kontakt (or one of its libraries) is eating a lot of CPU during tempo changes, causing crackles in large templates. It seems like a problem to solve by Native Instruments (or the specific library manufacturer).

• This only happens with Kontakt in VEPro with Cubase.  When I connect DP to the same instance of VEPro tempo changes work great.  Also when I had the same template with Logic I did not have a problem with tempo changes.  It potentially has something to do with the VST implementation?  Also when I load the libraries directly in Cubase tempo changes work fine as well.  So I am not sure the problem is in Kontakt.  If you want I can send you my VEPro Metaframe.

• Like I wrote above, Cubase + VEP + Kontakt used to work just fine. AFAIK it started out of the blue with no configuration change on my Mac.

• I'm in contact with NI about this Kontakt issue, so hope is on the horizon.

• Any news? This has started happening for me too.

• What's the latest from NI Karel?  I too am wrestling with this issue on Cubase 6 on PC. 

What about the other posters? Have any of you stumbled across a solution?

Brett

• I just had this issue with a tempo ramping down and a CPU spike and pops/clicks.

I went into each instance of Kontakt 5 and turned off the External tempo sync. FYI, it's in the Master section in BPM.

The problem totally went away.

BTW - I am running Cubase 7 in Windows 7 PC, with Ableton Live 8 and VEPro running as well. All in 64 bit.

Obviously a NI K5 issue.  Hope this helps

• Thanks mc202. Yes I've tried this and it does indeed fix the issue, but it's not too useful if you are working with tempo matched loops :)

Any further info from NI Karel?

cheers - Brett

• I would suggest directing questions directly to NI. They will probably be able to give more information on why these issues occur.

• Fair enough Karel.  It's just that you mentioned you were in contact with them in an earlier post above and so I figured you were far more likely to get a straight answer from them than I would.  Have they at least acknowledged it as an issue and flagged it for a fix?

B

• Are you guys running Altiverb in your projects by any chance? I was able to remove clicks and pops described by the OP by removing all of my Altiverb instances. It's worth giving a try. Cheers, Edouard

• Interesting EdouardB. Were they on the VEP axes or just inside your host session? What host please?

• I do not own or use Altiverb....in my case it specifically looks like the problem happens when I am using Kontakt inside of VE PRO....as I stated earlier Kontakt does not have this problem inside of Cubase only inside of VE PRO.

• Labman - I use Cubase 7.03 on a MacPro (ML 10.8.3). The 3 Altiverb instances are used on auxes inside Cubase. Dlpmusic - looking at theActivity Monitor, there is definitely a surge in processor usage during tempo changes using Kontakt inside VEP with Cubase (as long as Kontakt is tempo-synced to the host). While the Altiverb "fix" alleviates the distorting audio for me, I will do more testing to try to lower that usage (and possible resulting distorting audio). On another note, I did remove the buses inside VEP, and that seemed to have dramatically reduced CPU usage, too. Instead of submixing VI outputs inside VEP, I just route the VI outputs to VEP outputs. It may be worth trying for you. I did contact NI regarding the Cubase/VEP/Kontakt/tempo ramps combo, and they have been of no help whatsoever. Edouard