Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,989 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,967 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 8 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Thanks mc202. Yes I've tried this and it does indeed fix the issue, but it's not too useful if you are working with tempo matched loops :)

Any further info from NI Karel?

cheers - Brett

• I would suggest directing questions directly to NI. They will probably be able to give more information on why these issues occur.

• Fair enough Karel.  It's just that you mentioned you were in contact with them in an earlier post above and so I figured you were far more likely to get a straight answer from them than I would.  Have they at least acknowledged it as an issue and flagged it for a fix?

B

• Are you guys running Altiverb in your projects by any chance? I was able to remove clicks and pops described by the OP by removing all of my Altiverb instances. It's worth giving a try. Cheers, Edouard

• Interesting EdouardB. Were they on the VEP axes or just inside your host session? What host please?

• I do not own or use Altiverb....in my case it specifically looks like the problem happens when I am using Kontakt inside of VE PRO....as I stated earlier Kontakt does not have this problem inside of Cubase only inside of VE PRO.

• Labman - I use Cubase 7.03 on a MacPro (ML 10.8.3). The 3 Altiverb instances are used on auxes inside Cubase. Dlpmusic - looking at theActivity Monitor, there is definitely a surge in processor usage during tempo changes using Kontakt inside VEP with Cubase (as long as Kontakt is tempo-synced to the host). While the Altiverb "fix" alleviates the distorting audio for me, I will do more testing to try to lower that usage (and possible resulting distorting audio). On another note, I did remove the buses inside VEP, and that seemed to have dramatically reduced CPU usage, too. Instead of submixing VI outputs inside VEP, I just route the VI outputs to VEP outputs. It may be worth trying for you. I did contact NI regarding the Cubase/VEP/Kontakt/tempo ramps combo, and they have been of no help whatsoever. Edouard

• Has anyone gotten further with this tempo change clicking in Kontakt 5 issue?

Someone earlier said that it only happens when Kontakt is in VEPro, I have proven this incorrect. It is happening when Kontakt is opened inside Cubase 7 here.

If you score film/TV, this issue is a huge one; I'm constantly trying to figure out how to work around this, but usually it's a huge inconvenience and time waster to solve. And I cannot write any accelerando or rallentandos, for sure.

Thoughts?  NI still doesn't quite feel film scoring composers rank high enough to sort out problems specific to them!

• For those people still having problems, did you test what I sugested over a year ago and use tempo jumps, rather than ramps?

DG

• That solution does not solve the problem, whether it's a jump or a ramp, there is an audible click/pop at the tempo change.

Thanks,  Mr A

• That is my experience as well. Whether it's a jump or a ramp there is an audible pop.

I have not experienced this problem in DP or Logic which both use Audio Units. Also this does not happen with non kontakt instruments. So it appears this is a problem with the VST plugin version of kontakt for tempo synched instances. Is NI aware of this?

• Hang on a second. Now I'm confused. Are you saying that with a Windows slave, running VEP with Kontakt, and a Logic/DP host machine, this is not a problem?

DG

• That is correct. This seems to be a problem with VST. Cubase running on windows connected to a VEPro slave on windows exhibits the same problem. Change the Daw to logic or DP using Audio units and tempo changes work with no distortion.  

• I have a support ticket in with NI re: this Kontakt issue. I find it hard to believe that there aren't more Cubase users having this problem. 

Interesting that it's potentially a VST issue. I have not used tempo sync loops in Kontakt much at all in the past, so I might not have had this issue show itself in the past.

• The thing is, it doesn't matter what the host is, Windows slave machines always run the VST version of Kontakt, so even if you're using Logic you are still using VST on the slave.

This tells me that it's not a VST Kontakt problem per se, but it is either a Cubase problem, or a VST connector problem. Does anyone here have Studio One or any other VST host to check? Actually as DP now can use VST, it could be checked using that, couldn't it?

Regarding people not having problems with Cubase, be aware that there are many more Cubase Windows users than Cubase Mac users, and it may not even be a problem in Windows. I can't test it for you, as I'm not using slave machines.

DG

• Hey guys,

Any progress on this? I'm also having this issue. I can also confirm that it doesn't happens with DP or Logic. It does look like something Cubase needs to resolve with Kontakt in collaboration (instead of throwing the ball to the other side).

This is a pretty big issue, hopefully it gets resolved soon...

Thanks!

• Increasing the buffer size in my VEP server instances in Cubase fixed it for me. Took some of the load off of the CPU.

i was running 7 instances within Cubase (each with 4-7 instances of kontakt/play) at a latency value of 1 (buffer of 128). Increased them all to a latency value of 2 buffers and no more problems... Yet.

• Jdiggity, have you tried putting a tempo change in your Cubase sequence and as you play across it, with Kontakt is ext sync mode, and you're not hearing a click or pop? Or try a tempo ramp up or down and see if it clicks.

would love to think that increasing the buffer as you said solves the tempo change Kontakt midi sync issue.

thx,

Mr A

• Hi mc202vt,

I am getting the distortion/clicks again. Not as bad as before, but my buffer workaround is no longer working for me, as it seems I am using too many instruments. 

As mentioned by others, the issue is a CPU spike, so increasing my buffer size's gave my CPU enough head-room so that it wouldn't max out when tempo ramps occured. However, as I have been working on the same project, I am adding more instruments, some of which are synthesizers, which are using more of the CPU and causing the distortions to happen again.

Fortunately I can afford to use tempo jumps in place of ramps for this particular project, but I will have to find a 'cure' before I start my next one.

You can see from this screenshot that my CPU spike occured across all Cores, reaching about 77%.

When I finish this project I shall do some testing and report back here with the findings (if any).

• This is a big problem that no one seems to be addressing.  I have to export all my mixes as the problem is not in the export.  In real time I have issues with every tempo change.