Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,376 users have contributed to 42,222 threads and 254,773 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• @ Donethur:

Set the Field "Content Editor" in your user profile (Register "Communication") to "Enhanced" instead of "plain text". This enables you to write paragraphs.

And If I my quote you:

...music is something to love, not to hate.

Well said, I agree 100%.

This is something we all should keep in mind. No matter which particular composer we prefer.

• Paul, do you have better tracks than Zimmer?, can I hear one of those?, that would be interesting to hear. On the other hand, I think if you are insulting other people and cant maintain a adult conversation, I wont deal with you discussing about music, thoughts or other topic. At least not with that attittude. Rgds

• off topic: thanks uwemeinz, but when I activate it, it doesnt allow me to write text when I reply. I will keep practicing, probably I am doing something wrong. Thanks :)

• last edited
    last edited

@Donethur said:

Paul, do you have better tracks than Zimmer?, can I hear one of those?, that would be interesting to hear.

Here's one of his that's better than Zimmer.  I've heard others of his.  Though Paul wouldn't say that and is actually rather modest about his compositions and mainly claims to be a pianist, he is actually a very good composer.  

• The track sounds pretty good as a 60s/70s Americana pastiche, but it's a bit corny and cheesy.

If you honestly believe that this is better than Zimmer's Inception soundtrack then, well, the polite thing to say is that it's a matter of personal taste.  A more honest thing to say is that maybe you're actually just a bit old and stuck in the past.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

A more honest thing to say is that maybe you're actually just a bit old and stuck in the past.

That's exactly right!

• The thing is boys - you need to get your heads from right out of your fucking a s s holes. I can take honesty. Can you?

If you honestly think that you're going to get anywhere trying to sound like Hans then you're in for a vey long hobby program. You wanted to hear something better than fucking bull and I put up Vertigo. You just don't get it. You're morons and so predictable. You're like like all these little kids today.

No sense of history. Can't take criticism - even though it's doing you good. Can't stand it when someone tells you anything you don't agree with because you're immature. Had no musical education. Fuck me - my cat can play better than most of you when he's running up and down the keyboard. In fact - there's an American cat on Youtube that plays better than most of you people!

Are you two f u c kers friends of Trevor!

• PaulR - Is this directed at me?  I don't sound anything like Hans as it happens. In fact, my ideal form of music is actually late 60s pop - harmonies, twangy guitars and baroque overtones. I got into instrumental/orchestral music because that's what paid the bills when I got into library music. I've quite got to like it now though, and I'm going to have a go at writing an orchestral symphony next year. It might be no good, but we'll see. I've written for and recorded a lot of live string and choir sessions in the last few years so I've developed some scoring chops.

And as for no sense of history - I've studied my baroque counterpoints, early music, choral religious music, Bulgarian choral music. I'm no dope.

Anyway maybe your comment has nothing to do with me, lol. It doesn't exactly read like it's a response to anything I've said so maybe you're talking to someone else? Ho ho.

• with such talent, I dont know what are you doing here instead of signing autographs in the old people shelter.

• Dietz please don't lock this wonderful, stimulating thread yet, I just can't reply right now, I promise to do it tomorrow as early as I can...

• that's a bit mean donethur.

all this does make you wonder though. is this whole debate just a generational thing? a paradigm shift? like when reggae replaced rock in Africa in the 70s (I knew a very angry Nigerian who was put out of work by reggae, seriously). When Elvis replaced Bing Crosby. The Beatles replaced Elvis. Like when Einstein (Zimmer), replaced Newton (Herrmann). Ho ho, just my little joke.

I remember reading one of Plato's books (might have been the Republic) where an old guy was complaining about the younger degenerates who didn't remember the old ways and didn't have the respect they did. This was written in 380 BC, which kind of makes it look like generational shifts have always been there, rather than the possibility that we have indeed been degenerating consistently since the dawn of time.

• sorry dagmarpiano, I couldnt avoid that, but I am always kidding in my normal life :) (well, I use to respond insults with jokes). In my real thought, I dont have nothing against old or new stuff. I am not old but not young, but I think the main thing is what I have reflected through the years... I now have a very clear picture about what is art for me, after study a lot of artistic manifestations and learn from great artist (painters, etc). Sometimes, people want to feel they are superior to others, so use music, art, science, dress, etc., to increase their self esteem (most of them belong to a social group like hip hopers, etc). When they surpass that step in their lifes, they realise that they become a bit "ubermensch", with their own convictions and own way of thinking, not influenced for the rest. That is why some artists after composing complex stuff, become to be interested in simple stuff, they finally understand that hidden taste that they never seen before. But this happens only when people becomes mature internally (not only age). I dont say that every person should listen folk or popular or simple music, i am not saying that all of them will end like that, other could start to listen more complex music, I just say that you notice something strange when the argument becomes insult, when you see signatures demostrating superiority, arrogancy, etc... you start to suspect that something is wrong here (sorry my English again, it is a nightmare to me to write thoughts in other language). About the generational thing, IMO you are correct, this is similar... I think the Zimmer`s fans will have the same discussions with the future music´s fans. Of course, technique would not be the argument, but maybe "sonority" "ideas" "expression" "too much noise" too much electronic sounds", etc...

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

In fact - there's an American cat on Youtube that plays better than most of you people!

I find that hard to believe. An American cat?

All the best.

• I wish Billy wouldn't do that. Being English I suffer from any kind of exposure and that causes a great deal of embarrassment. And besides, that was done years ago and I still have trouble making samples sound any good. I prefer photography. BUT - none of you younger imbeciles know what constitutes art or a good film or a good score. You HAVE to have a benchmark. You CANNOT have HZ as your benchmark and expect to LIVE!

You cretins seem to be under the impression that just because you like something then it must be GOOD! Wow - that's a serious criteria.  I like it - so IT MUST BE GOOD!

telling me you're a better player than this, then your'e a godamn liar!

I would put off playing bubonic plague roulette this weekend to hear about the late 60's.!!! Especially from anyone born 3 hours ago. Yeah!

Someone fetch Trevor!!!

• last edited
    last edited

@The Minstrel said:

Anyways, the piece that William linked to was indeed very beautiful, and although I lack the knowledge and skills necessary to compose something like that myself, I can tell that you are quite skilled. 

That's kind and also irrevlevant to this thread and unforgivable of William actually. But I could teach you to do that stuff in 10 minutes if you're a good player.

• last edited
    last edited

I would have just one thing to request

@Donethur said:

that is why I wont discuss about musical terms to talk about subjective concepts

Please refer to this article which shows exactly how many composers have deliberately brought the audience to catharsis through definite use of skillful composing, in other words, they knew what made music interesting. http://www.brainmusic.org/MBB91%20Webpage/Sloboda_1991.pdf

The article details the methods used especially appogiatura. The Zimmer piece was great, I am going to go fire up my Vienna Symphonic Libraray and have a go at it! I can hardly wait to see if I can do better!

• last edited
    last edited

@dagmarpiano said:

The older stuff is better to listen to and has more artistic merit.

Here's what John A Slobada found in his research-somewhat small sample-when asked by listeners to give specific examples of 'moving' or emotional, or 'makes shivers up my spine' in musical passages.

1. Harmony descending cycle of fifths to tonic

2. Melodic appogiaturas

3. Melodic or hoarmonic sequence

4. Enharmonic change

5. Harmonic or melodic acceleration to cadence

6 Delay of final cadence

7. New or unprepared harmony

8. Sudden or dynamic or textural change

9. Repeated syncopation

10. prominent event earlier than prepared for

The whole article is here

http://www.brainmusic.org/MBB91%20Webpage/Sloboda_1991.pdf

• last edited
    last edited

@Donethur said:

emotion that his tracks contribute to films

Other writers here have commented on your use of the word emotion and it is quite maddening to read your posts --not sure why I do but you seem to be dominating this thread-- when you keep using terms that are so very  vastly general so as to include half the universe of discourse-. Please[:@]

I beg you

be more specific than to just say emotion

What emotion?

Love? Hate? Anger? Joy? Sorrow? Excitement?

There are about 50 synonyms for each of those words; can you find something specific? Help!

Oops, just noticed you are not an English speaker originally, you should have said so from the get-go.

Sigh[8-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

Dietz please don't lock this wonderful, stimulating thread yet, I just can't reply right now, I promise to do it tomorrow as early as I can...

Man, your line of BS is so well-rehearsed many of us could phone it in for you. Do exercise your hobbyhorse ONE MORE TIME, though. [um]

Somebody pop some corn.

• [quote=dagmarpiano]all this does make you wonder though. is this whole debate just a generational thing? a paradigm shift? like when reggae replaced rock in Africa in the 70s (I knew a very angry Nigerian who was put out of work by reggae, seriously). When Elvis replaced Bing Crosby. The Beatles replaced Elvis. Like when Einstein (Zimmer), replaced Newton (Herrmann). Ho ho, just my little joke.

So now Hans Zimmer has replaced all the "old" composers.  

Well, dog-gone it, I thought Bernard Herrmann was pretty darn good.  But he's not current, so he can't be.  I see now.   With your reading of Plato you've cleared it all up.  Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute!   What are we going to do with Mozart?  Or J.S. Bach?  Those guys are ANCIENT!   They must be TERRIBLE...