Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,048 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,975 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• I think the price of MIR should not be to pricy but not to cheap to..

As a professonal composer, I'm not sure to buy it if it's more than 1000$. I would prefer buying a piece of hardware like a mic pre before this amazing but not essential software. 

On the other hand, It may be better to support VSL's software developpment so they'll keep making good softwares. Making good software have a cost. (Yes Sergio, I have edited my post, it was not exactly what I was trying to say. I wish it will be as affordable as possible for everyone.)

My opinion is that MIR Pro should be offer at the same price (795euro) as the actual MIR, and this one should get a price drop (around 450Euro) if not discontinued. But this is just my personal opinion, I'm not aware of the developpement cost of such sotware, neither what is a good marketing strategy.

But I wish it's gonna be cheap enough to add it to my set up this year.

Fred

• last edited
    last edited

@FredB said:

I think the price of MIR should not be to pricy but not to cheep to..

Dear Fred,

if you are a professional composer, why don't you keep on composing and stop writing useless and dangerous things.

I  don't  own a normal laptop with a single drive. Nevertheless I would like all the world working or just having fun with MIR, even with just only one instrument. Maybe you fear somebody clever than you could write music  better than yours?

Maybe Dietz and Paul and Company are masochist and like lots of customer complaints, what do we know?

I don't see why people started talking of marketing and  money and not of music and Vienna products.

Sergio

• last edited
    last edited

Dear Sergio,

Sorry that you take it so personnal,

I'm not english speaking so it's hard for me to be clearly express my idea.

I should have said that I'm not expecting it to be cheap. 

@Another User said:

I don't see why people started talking of marketing and  money and not of music and Vienna products 

Sorry, next time I will ask your permission before posting a comment on this forum. 

Fred

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Nice suggestion, Cyril. 😉

Vienna MIR is available for 795,- Euro right now.

At 795 , how many MIR did you sold ?

My bet : less than a hundred [;)]

At 795 not a lot of users are going to buy it as they can do there mix without it (at that price I will not buy it)

at 299 with 1 or 2 rooms your are going to sell many, (to me too) [:D]

FredB says :

> Don't be so alarmist, I don't think my opinion (and yours) will influence VSL's marketing department anyway. 

It did work for the "NEW DOWNLOAD INSTRUMENT"

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Ok guys,

I agree that was an bad idea to contribute to a discussion about the price of MIR.

Of course I wish it will cost almost nothing from a simple costumer point of view.

Just trying to show the downside of it. But if i can have it for less I'll be more than happy.

If it's profitable for everyone. Why not? Will see.

Allright!?

• it was not a bad idea.

VSL lives in it Ivory tower, it is good for them to know what we think!

best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

[...] VSL lives in it Ivory tower, it is good for them to know what we think! [...]

Cyril ... please. Up to now this thread had a very positive attitude. Don't make us pointing with fingers at each other, discussing who's the one living in that ivory tower.

We know now that you would like to have a product that relies on almost 10 years development time for (more or less) free, we also all know that it won't happen. Let's leave it at that. Thanks.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Dietz,

Sorry to have make you angry, I did not mean to.

The expression "living in an Ivory tour" is not at all insulting in French.

Best

Cyril

• IMO the (potential) user base will be closer to 50-100,000 world wide. Anybody using samples (of any brand) will be interested in MIR Pro, and it’s quite possible that even High-end mixers (non sample based) will find useful the front-back depth control possibilities. I say all this of course not having yet heard anything.

I hope it will be under 1K€, and I really hope VSL will accept upgrade and trade-ins. I've got some classy, vintage golf clubs that Dietz would Iove I’m sure. [8-|]

• If you can't afford it, you dont need it. Considering how much a high end Lex, Bricasti, TC 6000 etc. costs for at most a couple of instances in a project, no price is too expensive. [;)]

DG

• Hi Diez,

I have just a few general questions

1.) Will MIR pro make sense at all without the new VI pro player, which is not soo much my cup of tea (please... no offense, some features are nice... but I really refuse to use it: having a built in reverb and positioning tool in the player being used in MIR to me has something like going to a good restaurant and ordering a roast venison with red wine sauce and having ketchup as a side)... so if I wanted to stick with the conventional VI player, could I make sense of the additional features of MIR pro?

2.) Will there be a way to integrate dimension brass (also without VI pro), especially smoothening the differences between the Dimension Brass instruments and the previous VIs (so that e.g. a solo line played by Vienna Horn 1 (or even more important things like gliss, marc etc. that are not included in dimension brass) does not sound out of place with a line played by dimension brass horn 1?

3.) you wrote at some point all the MIR calculation will be done on one computer. So with the current setup, the (much weaker) master does only send the midi information and receive the audio data and the slave does the MIR stuff. Will this be the same with MIR pro = calculation will be done on the slave

4.) will the changes implemented in MIR have an effect on VE pro as well?

5.) will the MIR pro sync with the sequencing host (or in other words, whill there be changes concerning latency)?

Thanx and greets,

Patrik

• Hi Patrik,

ad 1. MIR Pro will work with any source: VI, VI Pro, 3rd-party VSTi/AUi, or audio streams. Of course the features which need Vienna Instruments to work properly - i.e. all the Instrument Profiles, Natural Volume and the like - will (have to) remain VI/VI Pro-exclusive.

ad 2. We work on a solution, but it's to early to go into details.

ad 3. Wherever the actual MIR engine is instantiated, the calculations will take place - be it the master or a slave connected via LAN.

ad 4. Yes.

ad 5. MIR Pro will allow any modern host to compensate for its latency.

HTH,

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Dietz, are you able to expand on how this will work with Pro Tools? I have enough trouble compensating for latency with normal plugs, and it seems to me that the huge latencies that MIR currently requires will be a problem when you are reduced to a mere 4096 samples ADC.

DG

• Hi Dietz,

Will you deliver more than one licence to use MIR on two computer? Since I have no more than 16gb of RAM on each computer, it will be limited to host all the instruments and MIR on a single computer.

Thanks

Fred

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Dietz, are you able to expand on how this will work with Pro Tools? I have enough trouble compensating for latency with normal plugs, and it seems to me that the huge latencies that MIR currently requires will be a problem when you are reduced to a mere 4096 samples ADC.

DG

This limit will remain as it is, of course. ... at least I don't have to tell _you_ to get Nuendo *harharhar*  [6]

• last edited
    last edited

@FredB said:

Hi Dietz,

Will you deliver more than one licence to use MIR on two computer? Since I have no more than 16gb of RAM on each computer, it will be limited to host all the instruments and MIR on a single computer.

Thanks

Fred

Right now, VSL has no plans to deliver more than one MIR Pro licence as a package, sorry to say so.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

DG

This limit will remain as it is, of course. ... at least I don't have to tell _you_ to get Nuendo *harharhar*  

Unfortunately Nuendo isn't currently a very good option for my album mixes, as each track takes at least an extra hour and a half to mix, when compared with Pro Tools. This really takes its toll when dealing with over two hours of material. [:(]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@FredB said:

Hi Dietz,

Thanks

Fred

Right now, VSL has no plans to deliver more than one MIR Pro licence as a package, sorry to say so.

Ok

So will it be possible to feed audio from a VE Pro slave computer to the host that runs MIR?

• It has already been stated that MIR Pro will be able to receive audio input. However, I guess that the number of streams will depend on the speed of your network as well as the power of your computers.

DG

• Hi Dietz,

thank you for your answers... I guess as long as the sequencer will integrate the latency, this will be a huge advantage.... I assume then, it will be possible to do bounces with MIR pro without manually recording the MIR output as an audio file?

and, do I get it right, that MIR Pro is pretty much adding a "network plug" to the standalone MIR... so that I could use my current setup (no remote desktop), and simply sync it to the sequencer....?

Is this in a way like with VE pro, when I prepare templates and then later connect them to the master...? 

But what I don't understand:  with VE Pro I only have so many different VIs per instance... how will this be reflected in MIR pro? 

Greetings,

Patrik