Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,208 users have contributed to 42,283 threads and 255,017 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• Personally, I would do it sooner than later - if I could get some published specs to help me with the purchase of a new, dedicated slave machine before the new software ships.

I want to do a Mac Pro for VE Pro. I have a Mac Pro for VE3 but am running it in Boot Camp/Vista 64. It would be nice to know how much RAM I could access if I chose to go for the Mac OS. I'm trying to avoid using a Windows OS for Play.

Currently Kontakt is covered adequately entirely within my main Mac Pro DAW by using some within Logic and one rather large library in Plogue Bidule.

I do expect VSL to do a pretty good job on the first iteration. Perfect? That will be difficult because the audience they're playing to is large and diversified.

• Hey Jack,

Concerning Bidule: I may be missing something in the online info but do you know of any "instructionals" that would show how to set up a multiple computer scenario (Mac)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

• Good point DG, but I never put myself in a position of not being completely covered at all times. I'm pretty much redundant in all my setups anyway - all dual boot. I can't imagine any professional making a living with this stuff just charging in without any safety net. 

• last edited
    last edited

@rpmusic said:

Hey Jack,

Concerning Bidule: I may be missing something in the online info but do you know of any "instructionals" that would show how to set up a multiple computer scenario (Mac)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

I use bidule in 4 machines, both mac and pc. It's pretty straight forward. How did you want to set it up, in your DAW or on a slave? 

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Elliott said:

DG - I have had this fact NAGGING at me since the annoucement of delay (if VSl is running down these bugs - EVEN VSL may not catch all the little critters.)  Seriously VSL is the BEST sample/software company out there on this sort of beta testing thing BUT they/we are all human.   I am now giving some serious consideration to something like Bidule.  Get VE PRO for the next project later in the year.

Rob, unless you absolutely have to change your system now, I would say just carry on as you are. Check out VE Pro when it is released. If it seems to like hosting your other sample players, then give it a good thrashing during a down week (if you have such a thing), and then assuming all is OK, use it on the next gig that comes up.

Regarding Bidule, the only advantage that I can see over any other VSTi host is that if you run it on your sequencer machine, you can run in Rewire. This means that you don't have to re-load every time you change project. However, if you are currently using the networking capabilities of VE3, Bidule does nothing for you. Nada.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Tripit said:

I can't imagine any professional making a living with this stuff just charging in without any safety net. 

You'd be surprised. The amount of people who can't wait to "update" their systems to the latest OS, or version of software always makes me cringe. If it so desperate that they update at once, then something is seriously wrong with their system in the first place. I sometimes wonder whether or not they would be better off using different software or even OS platform.

Like Rob, I'm convinced that there will be very few problems with VE Pro for VSL users, but having used some other sample players, I'm not sure that any VSTi host could cope adequately. I'll certainly be introducing VE Pro very slowly into my setup.

DG

• I guess there are always a few knuckleheads in the crowd. But all the pro guys I know are hyper careful with their rigs - you have to be when you use it day in to make a living - and you are the one that has to fix and troubleshoot it at 11pm on the night before a last minute cue is due first thing in the morning. Can't afford down time.  I'm still on tiger and DP5.13 daily - although having Leopard, PT8 and Dp6 on another boot, which I still deem not ready for prime time yet. 

I think VE pro will probably work well. And when it's released, I'll take it one plug at a time and see how it does. But just the ability to get even one 3rd party player functioning on one machine via VE pro will be really good for my particularly unusal setup. And this has to do with RTAS routing more than anything else. 

• Hey Rob Portman,

I haven't used Bidule in a multi-machine setup. I might refer you back to Tripit since he's done this.

• Thanks Jack...hopefully, someone can route me to some good instructions.

btw, "Portman" is a new one on the looooong list of mis-spellings of my last name! [:D]

Potlorf, Portoff, Pohorf Puthoff, Potroast, Pudoff ...I won't list the other 372, I mean now 373 names!

• My apologies.

Best regards,

Jac Weever

• Rob, what are using for main daw? Are you just wanting to run bidule on the same machine? 

• Tripit,

I am using a 2Ghz G5 Mac running OSX 10.4.11 (haven't moved up the the quad yet) with DP 6.02. My satellite computers are 6 MacMinis (intels).

I'm wanting to network these Minis to the G5.

Hope that answers your questions and thank you in advance for the help!

• Hi there - yea my main Daw is Nuendo (32 bit) - x64 - I would like to run it on that and at least one of three PC farm units (x64 - 16 gb ram puters)

Many thanks.

Rob

• Here's a question: Can I run Vienna Ensemble along with Bidule? I need VSTs on only 4 of my 6 Minis and if I could do this until VEPro is ready this would be a great work around. 

Let me know!

• The answer to this is KEY for me as well as I have 3 farm units running VE3 networked.

Rob

• *tap* *tap*...is this thing on? Can Bidule run along side VE? Anyone? Bueller?

• Hey Rob, yes you can run Bidlue along side with VE3. The thing is that bidule will not get your audio back to your DAW via network. You have to run the audio either through the native audio, such as using the optic out of the mini and bring back or via a firewire audio card etc. to your DAW or a mixer. The exception would be if you have rewire ability in your DAW and you put bidule along side of your DAW - in the same machine. Then you can route the audio back into the DAW via rewire. 

• That sounds promising. So, if I run Rewire I can then route MIDI and AUDIO via the network? I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to this side of things but I'm fairly confident that Digital Performer handles Rewire.

I just wanted to make sure that there would be some sort of conflict or "bottleneck" if I ran VE and Bidule side by side.

• Yes, you can rewire into DP. You can also just use the mac native out optical or a 2nd audio interface, and run the audio back into your main interface. 

You won't have a bottle neck, in fact it takes a big load off of DP and you get more memory usage because you can load up an additional 3.2 gigs in Bidule, besides the 3.2 you have in DP. 

• What about K2/K3? That should be stable from the start right? Cause that's all I'm interested in at this point.