Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,443 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,797 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@michael.matthews said:

I am consistently having to reboot my Mac because VE cannot find my Syncrosoft license. With iLock I have to date not had any problems.

Michael

yep, just happen to me again about 20 minutes ago. 

• last edited
    last edited

@dinosaur said:

Well, I just bought the program. I Also went out and bought me an ILok for it yesteday. From the Vienna website: If you already have another eLicenser USB protection device (e.g., from Steinberg or Arturia), you can use it for the VIENNA INSTRUMENTS, too. Please download the latest “License Control Center” from the eLicenser website so all the relevant VIENNA INSTRUMENTS information is available on your ViennaKey. The only difference from the original ViennaKey is that you can’t run Demo Mode #1 (see the button “Demo Modes” on the product page) on an eLicenser USB protection device not issued by the Vienna Symphonic Library. Is there any indication in there that ILok won't work?? Need Syncrosoft.. Say it!

Im just curious, exactly where on the VSL website you saw that quote about other eLiscencer USB Devices. Im not implying it's not somewhere on the site, but i looked around and it would appear that nearly every instrument page lists the Vienna Key as a requirement....

Just curious

• I've been a VSL user since the very beginning of the libraries.  Just yesterday I got Apassionata Strings, and I swear that nothing's changed in terms of installation and VSL just being generally overly complex and convoluted to install.  I'm downloading stuff, and there's drivers, and rebooting, and then supplimental apps to run to control directories, blah blah.  I have no idea why the install and usage process is so unintuitive.  Eventually got it work, of course.  It should just be like every other piece of complex software: one install app, get it done. 

_Mike

• The syncrosoft system works in a few simple guided steps with no problems.  Also, I never had to do anything with drivers and rebooting and supplemental apps.  The Library Installer takes care of all that and is very easy to use.

• If you go to any of the download instruments and then, where they reference the Vienna Key, click the link (takes you to a page so you can add it to your shopping basket) it is in the product description.

• I am using both: Synchrosoft for Cubase and VSL, iLok for the PLAY-Version of the EWQL Orchestra Gold.

I never experienced any trouble with Synchrosoft, but just recently I upgraded my EWQL Orchestra Gold from the old "Kontakt" to the "PLAY" Version, therefore the iLok-Key came into my life (it wasn't needed before).

It's hard to tell what actually happened: most probably the authorization code was wrong...anyway: it took me more then 3 weeks to get this solved, although the support at "soundsonline.com" tried to be very helpful. Nobody trusts you, when you contact the support and write "I already tried everything, but the authorization code seems to be wrong. Dozens of mails and 3 weeks later they offered me a new license, I could download from iLok.com to my key.

I wasn't amused. And I keep asking myself, what a poor musician with little knowledge of computers would have done.

Maybe this was just a mistake of the software-producer, not one of the iLok-people... but I definetely don't need more of this!

• it was a problem, a known issue under OSX.5.6

better under X.5.7

• My two cents - I've never had a problem with Synchrosoft/Vienna Key (for VSL, Wavelab and GVI) on Windows XP SP3 or Mac OS 10.5.7. I just got some EWQL libraries (not the orchestra or pianos, I swear!), installed them and the iLok on the Windows machine, and went through hell. After the initial install, the PC (an ADK laptop, centerpiece of my studio) wouldn't even start up without 2 hours of emergency tinkering to get it going again. I still have occasional trouble starting it up and haven't totally narrowed it down, but unplugging the iLok seems to help.

So I'm another user happy with the eLicenser!

• I vote for any solution that does not require these things! But if I have to choose? I have an iLok and a Synchrosoft. The iLok just sits there and works. The synchrosoft needs updates all the time and VSL takes minutes just to load in Logic: I expect Synchrosoft to be the problem. It's too late now but I would never buy VSL again just because of this. The sounds are great but the copy protection shouldn't be our problem!

• last edited
    last edited

@Uncle D said:

I vote for any solution that does not require these things! But if I have to choose? I have an iLok and a Synchrosoft. The iLok just sits there and works. The synchrosoft needs updates all the time and VSL takes minutes just to load in Logic: I expect Synchrosoft to be the problem. It's too late now but I would never buy VSL again just because of this. The sounds are great but the copy protection shouldn't be our problem!

Why would Syncrosoft need updates all the time? Providing you don't change anything, it should be fine using the version you installed. Maybe you updated some other software and forgot about that.

As far as loading time, there are three issues:

1. Licence scanning. Takes a longer time in OSX, but only around 4 seconds in Windows
    2. Content scanning. Takes around the same time in Windows and OSX (for me around a minute).
    3. Sample loading. This will depend on a number of things, but they are all hardware related.

The only one that is a pain is number 2, but you only have to do this once a day, it is no real hardship. I don't see why it is such an issue to some people. I'm sure that it takes the kettle almost as long to boil for that first cup of coffee. [;)]

DG

• I may have mentioned this already, but it takes me about 15 minutes to startup VE or VI due to the license and content scanning issue.

It took up to 25 minutes before the recent updates that made things more efficient.

I suspect this is because my old computer, aside from being probably the oldest of anyone on this forum, uses USB 1.1. No one ever confirmed this.

If it still takes this long once I finally get a new computer, I will know it is strictly a function of the licenses, and I have a lot as I used the DL libraries as a way of incrementally buying into the DVD collections/expansions.

It is for this reason that I wish VSL offered a way to consolidate licenses once someone has, for example, all of the Keyboard collections -- or at least all of the ones offered as a bundle currently (since any sub-grouping might potentially add new content libraries, whether download or DVD, later on).

I can't imagine that being much different from replacing a demo license with a fully paid license -- although I can't remember if that's how things work on eLicenser (it is how they work on iLok).

I am a Mac user, and PPC at that. I used to have more trouble with Synchrosoft than iLok, but both have gotten better. At this point, I rarely have trouble with either (technically), though sometimes the eLicenser key has to be re-plugged to a different USB port to be recognised. Certain vendors sometimes mess up their iLok licensers.

• First of all, I use both an iLok and multiple Syncrosoft dongles, as well as a WIBU dongle. To this day, I have had zero issues with any of them here on Windows Vista. Maybe I'm a lucky one. I would guess that the reason whey Syncrosoft has been chosen over iLok is because iLok apps are apparently easier to crack. This is common knowledge around many developers I have worked with. Syncrosoft's latest versions haven't been cracked. It seems to be the most secure of the two. And if that is the reason, I say keep using Syncrosoft. Not that it matters to me. I'll use VSL stuff regardless. Brent

•  I prefer Vienna Key over all the other means of software protection (exept for PG Music Bandinabox that actually doesn't have one).

When I was using Gigastudio I have changed a lot of SO Hard disks and each time I had to ask for a new number.

And, more than everything, it is too good being able to use my software on which PC i want!

• I have to add my vote to the Syncrosoft Sufferers, in a big way. At this moment I'm afraid to to the math and counting the minutes/hours of sitting around and waiting for the authentication restarting and other troubleshooting a system that works sometimes but not other times. Maybe the time=money adds up to be more expensive than the already expensive Vienna product itself.

Here are a few observations.
    1) It seems that most of the problems happens on the Mac side
    2) An app reporting a licensing issue when it just worked before a reboot is just plain ridiculous.
    3) Having the Error window popup in the background behind other windows is just bad programming (adding additional hours of lost productivity)
    4) Having to wait 5-10 minutes after a reboot for authentication the Libraries is just mind boggling. Who decided that this is acceptible for an enduser that spend already $10k+ on a product. Just assume that all of your customers are thieves...
    5) If it is true that Syncrosoft is the better copy protection than iLok, then that would be another case of putting the burden of battling piracy on the shoulders of the users.

Honestly, I don't have much hope that VSL is considering the Syncrosoft problmens an issue to take take action. The same way they persist on not to change the "unacceptable hack" with the Key Focus of their VI plugin in Logic Pro. - or that incompatible Browser issue in Safari when posting on this forum ...

• Syncrosoft has been a disaster over here too (I use a Mac), same problems as described by previous users. Been using iLok since ca 2000 when I bought Nuendo and have lots of software (Waves, URS, Altiverb) that use the iLok: never ever a problem. 

Yet I prefer software without a dongle. That's why I have decided to follow an anti-dongle policy with my investments in software. I think companies like Spectrasonics, Native Instruments and FXPansion have shown that there are viable alternatives without the hassle that come with dongles. 

• last edited
    last edited

@EwaldK said:

Syncrosoft has been a disaster over here too (I use a Mac), same problems as described by previous users. Been using iLok since ca 2000 when I bought Nuendo [...]

For the sake of completeness: Nuendo uses a Syncrosoft/eLicenser key since Day One.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I use a mac, a new one, and I have experienced no big issues with the vienna key. I had one issue with ILok using EWQL Play, but that was just a confusing way new to me, in that it required an actual account with iLok having nothing to do with the EW serial #. it happened at a time where that engine actually didn't really even work on an intel Mac, so...

OSX.5.6 had some syncrosoft driver issues which affected cubase start up, which was solved in every case here by installing their driver again, but that issue was sorted for me with 5.7. The way steinberg/syncrosoft activates a key is easy for me, I'm used to it, and it all happens really quick here.

Using USB 1.1, shouldn't be done if you don't like waiting, really it's not adequate for the task,

• It does appear that there are issues with Synchrosoft on the Mac platform. I have encountered many of the problems noted above during day to day VSL use. Never had a problem with iLOK so perhaps this is the weapon of choice for Mac.

Non of the Synchrosoft issues have been a deal breaker - just niggling. The most irritating is the initial boot time. Yes it's only a boiled kettle as DG points out but a watched Kettle never boils particularly when there's an orchestra sitting there waiting for your computer to boot as VI has just crashed (and it does when it's near the memory limit!)

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

.......particularly when there's an orchestra sitting there waiting for your computer to boot as VI has just crashed (and it does when it's near the memory limit!)

Julian

I guess that when 64bit VE hits OSX this will be a thing of the past. I'm sure you're looking forward to that. [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

.......particularly when there's an orchestra sitting there waiting for your computer to boot as VI has just crashed (and it does when it's near the memory limit!)

Julian

I guess that when 64bit VE hits OSX this will be a thing of the past. I'm sure you're looking forward to that.

DG

Just waiting to chew the arm off the software design who gold masters it!!

Julian