Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,226 users have contributed to 42,285 threads and 255,022 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

•  I use Syncrosoft and iLok on PC's and also, have never had any problems with either. They just both always work every day.

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

....when the VSL key is not at the back of my computer (often), I cannot start Sibelius properly.

I use Logic, not Sibelius, but it seems to me that you have an Autoload song (or whatever it's called in Sibelius) that contains an instance of some VSL software (VE?).

My suggestion would be to simplify your defaults so that Sibelius opens without having to look for any VSL software. I don't think you can blame this on VSL - it's your Sibelius that's asking for key because of what you have loaded - well that's my guess at least.

I also use Logic for performance and mixing but I am a composer that notates first. It's not when I open a Sibelius file (VE involving) that I get this behaviour, but when I run the program itself (default). I don't know anything in Sibelius preferences which allows one to choose whether to bypass other platforms or not... It isn't Sibelius asking for a key, but VE (which just runs itself without being asked) that does. This behaviour MUST be addressed and solved by VSL, maybe in conjunction with Avid, unless I'm the only one who experiences it - but I've had this problem since Tiger, right through to Snow Leopard, and I don't want to have the Vienna key on my computer when I'm not using VSL software. 

P.S.: I've yet to experience problems with my EWQL Symphonic Choirs key (PLAY engine is another issue).

• @ Errikos:

Very strange....

Does Logic also cause this problem when you open it? If not, then there's surely something about Sibelius that causes the problem.

I just tried booting Logic with my VSL keys removed and it opens just fine. VE doesn't run by itself - only when I start it. I really doubt this is a VSL problem. Maybe you should write to the folks at Sibelius - it's almost certainly their problem. Or a user malfunction...[;)]

• Hello Errikos!

The behaviour of Sibelius during startup can be set in the Preferences/Playback menu. I recommend the following settings there:
    When starting Sibelius, load this playback configuration: General MIDI (basic)
    Opening Files: Let me choose whether to change to the new configuration

This way you will need the Vienna Key only when you load a playback configuration with one of our collections or plugins included.
    Additionally the Vienna Key will be needed whe the plugin folder gets validated, which is the case after installing additional plugins.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks Andi, any new compositions coming on video? 

My default Sibelius Playback Configuration was always set to the default 'Sibelius Sounds' - I now changed it to 'General MIDI (basic)', but why this will make a difference since the default sounds do come with Sibelius I don't know; we'll see... My Opening Files settings were as you suggested anyway. 

I still don't see why Sibelius would try to find VE connections when by default I don't ask it to when I open it...

Cheers.

@musos: This user does malfunction more often than is convenient, in this case I don't think it's his fault. My Logic also opens without the Vienna key, maybe it is a Sibelius problem, it is just very annoying, very unprofessional!

• Hi Errikos!

I see. In this case it will not make much difference between the Sibelius sounds and the General MIDI (basic) sounds.

Anyway, as written in my last mail, you should need the Vienna Key only when opening Playback Configurations with instruments or plugins by VSL included or after installing new plugins or instruments. Sibelius validates all installed plugins and instruments then and therefore the Vienna Key is needed. After this procedure it shouldn't be needed at the following starts of Sibelius.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Only thing what i can say its big sad there is two different dongle standards at least why? in back in my mac mini is not much usb ports free when i maybe need two dongles one for vsl se (extended) and one for ovory for example.

• last edited
    last edited

@VSL Community said:

Only thing what i can say its big sad there is two different dongle standards at least why? in back in my mac mini is not much usb ports free when i maybe need two dongles one for vsl se (extended) and one for ovory for example.

One could also say that it's a shame that there are two operating systems. Since most people use Windows, Mac OS should be phased out. Much easier all round. [:P]

It's all about choice, and there is no reason that this should not extend to copy protection devices. In fact there are quite a few more than 2 choices; it's just that Steinberg and iLok are the most common, AFAIK.

DG

• There is also other operating systems but is offtopic and vsl dont support them. and copy protection is thing which not have any good points have many different systems. ps. Windows is obsolete but i dont want fight. And i know my (now dead) friend is one example people which really need windows.

• last edited
    last edited

@VSL Community said:

ps. Windows is obsolete but i dont want fight.

Yet performs way better than OSX. [:O]

DG

•  Why is it that the minority of computer users that are Mac users (only 5% of the worlds computers are Macs), seem to have the majority of problems?

Though I guess that the iLok is in keeping with a Mac users philosophy, as an iLok costs nearly twice the price of an eLicenser. So why pay twice the price for something? ask a Mac owner as they have experience in this topic, which they used when they bought their computer.

An iLok is not better than an eLicenser, a Mac is not better than a PC, and vice versa - it's just one costs considerably more than the other.

• last edited
    last edited

@andyjh said:

Why is it that the minority of computer users that are Mac users (only 5% of the worlds computers are Macs), seem to have the majority of problems?

Though I guess that the iLok is in keeping with a Mac users philosophy, as an iLok costs nearly twice the price of an eLicenser. So why pay twice the price for something? ask a Mac owner as they have experience in this topic, which they used when they bought their computer.

An iLok is not better than an eLicenser, a Mac is not better than a PC, and vice versa - it's just one costs considerably more than the other.

At leasty pc what i owned and what used other pcs are much more problematic and problems what i haved are totally impossible solve i asked 5 places all computer geeks and gurus what i know,webforums,and shop which selled parts. Still i know mac have problems and biggest probelm i solved itself.... and reason why pc is cheap products which dont have any kind quality control is cheap and good pc brands are also pricey. and its hard imagine if mac is 5% becouse there is so many other stuff which is still in use which is not pc or mac. and its lie say pc have less problems both have but what kind and how helpful are other users i found mac users what i know are almost allways much nicer. But please lets talk original thing i mean dongles.

• I was sad when S.G.I.s died out, never becoming a paradigm for Apple or P.C. development, but I'm seriously going to weep if Mac OS gets "phased out". That will be the day that all beauty (or whatever beauty there was) in the machine will vanish. It's like Windows are explicitly against any interface improvement or enriching the user's experience beyond that of brute performance (as is asserted). Most programs that were developed for that operating system, even when "translated" for the Mac, they reek of their aesthetic origin. If computers were merely number-crunching boxes I could care a lot less. However, if I have to stare at a screen environment all day and interact with it, my aesthetics are almost as paramount as performance - I don't see why I can't have my cake and eat it in this regard.

Be that as it may, I'm scared that Apple is turning its face away from the artistic professionals it proudly served for the past 25 years or so, and towards silly women and lower management executives who buy iPhones and iPads, because they are the "In" apparel accessories of the "times" (frequently being incapable of using any semi-advanced function those accessories offer), as well as teenagers who see them as toys and media sharing devices (be it their own skating-videos, or pilfered MP3s). If Apple's future lies in i(t)OS, iChat, and iShat, maybe Jobs did die at the right time... 

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

I was sad when S.G.I.s died out, never becoming a paradigm for Apple or P.C. development, but I'm seriously going to weep if Mac OS gets "phased out". That will be the day that all beauty (or whatever beauty there was) in the machine will vanish. It's like Windows are explicitly against any interface improvement or enriching the user's experience beyond that of brute performance (as is asserted). Most programs that were developed for that operating system, even when "translated" for the Mac, they reek of their aesthetic origin. If computers were merely number-crunching boxes I could care a lot less. However, if I have to stare at a screen environment all day and interact with it, my aesthetics are almost as paramount as performance - I don't see why I can't have my cake and eat it in this regard.

In theory I would agree with you, except that:

1. I don't see anything intrinsically ugly about Windows.
    2. I find a lot of things in OSX really annoying, both in terms of visuals and keyboard shortcuts
    3. Once my applications are open, they look the same on both OS, so I don't really care which OS I'm using.
    4. For me, performance at low latencies is extremely important, and currently performance for cross platform audio applications in OSX is way behind that of Windows. If that ever changes, I will have no problem in using OSX instead of Windows.
    DG (typed using OSX...!)

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

I was sad when S.G.I.s died out, never becoming a paradigm for Apple or P.C. development, but I'm seriously going to weep if Mac OS gets "phased out". That will be the day that all beauty (or whatever beauty there was) in the machine will vanish. It's like Windows are explicitly against any interface improvement or enriching the user's experience beyond that of brute performance (as is asserted). Most programs that were developed for that operating system, even when "translated" for the Mac, they reek of their aesthetic origin. If computers were merely number-crunching boxes I could care a lot less. However, if I have to stare at a screen environment all day and interact with it, my aesthetics are almost as paramount as performance - I don't see why I can't have my cake and eat it in this regard.

In theory I would agree with you, except that:

1. I don't see anything intrinsically ugly about Windows.
    2. I find a lot of things in OSX really annoying, both in terms of visuals and keyboard shortcuts
    3. Once my applications are open, they look the same on both OS, so I don't really care which OS I'm using.
    4. For me, performance at low latencies is extremely important, and currently performance for cross platform audio applications in OSX is way behind that of Windows. If that ever changes, I will have no problem in using OSX instead of Windows.
    DG (typed using OSX...!)
    i matbe change somesday to pc to back i can get finely working machine and Logic and IWork goes bad or if prices rice too much... but Cubase have much poorer synth plugins what Logic gives and if you are budget musician like me it counts. actually i counted if i change Cubase i must get something replace at least Logic ES2 and EXS24. later one have few sounds what i really want use. and productd what i know same kind sounds are so pricey good ethnic samples.(some of EXS24 library are better what Kontakt gives like Accordion etc). or i must think also go back to Sonar (i liked little more than Cubase when i used pc)...

• I must say, that I really don't have any of the described problems above.

I was a windows user since WIN 95... when WIN Vista came out (and I experienced nothing but problems) I switched to Mac, and at the same time from Cubase to Logic Pro. The best decision I ever made.

Now I'm runing Logic on a low latency Mac Pro with eLicenser and iLok (both contain between 15 and 20 licenses!) and I never had any kind of problems. The system runs perfect.

As I've seen, the latest WIN 7 seems to be quite reliable. But for me there's no way back. Why changing a running system, especially if you don't know, what WIN 8 or 9 will bring.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG (typed using OSX...!)

[:D]

I go some way back - my first computer was a DOS machine on which I also played around with BASIC (if that brings back memories for some people here). My second computer was a "fully-fledged" 286 (and I kept playing around...). However, a year after that, the absolute glory of the Mac Plus!... A revelation...(and I still have it) Of course through the '90s - and university - to today, I have used both platforms in parallel, and I must say (with due respect for your opinion) that I have met not one person that hasn't conceded Apple's superlative aesthetics over the awkwardly-stealing-ideas, as well as lagging behind, Windows OS, no matter what platform they preferred for whatever other reason. Excepting the era of the Power-Mac, even the boxes of the computers were great-looking (with prototypes like the Cube or the second iMac onwards bordering on the artistic).

No question that for a professional performance is paramount (I said that). My worry remains with Apple. Are they bringing out a new Mac Pro yes or no? Are they bringing out a superb Logic X, or a Garage Band Pro for a Tenorion-like iPad? [+o(]

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG (typed using OSX...!)

I go some way back - my first computer was a DOS machine on which I also played around with BASIC (if that brings back memories for some people here). My second computer was a "fully-fledged" 286 (and I kept playing around...). However, a year after that, the absolute glory of the Mac Plus!... A revelation...(and I still have it) Of course through the '90s - and university - to today, I have used both platforms in parallel, and I must say (with due respect for your opinion) that I have met not one person that hasn't conceded Apple's superlative aesthetics over the awkwardly-stealing-ideas, as well as lagging behind, Windows OS, no matter what platform they preferred for whatever other reason. Excepting the era of the Power-Mac, even the boxes of the computers were great-looking (with prototypes like the Cube or the second iMac onwards bordering on the artistic).

No question that for a professional performance is paramount (I said that). My worry remains with Apple. Are they bringing out a new Mac Pro yes or no? Are they bringing out a superb Logic X, or a Garage Band Pro for a Tenorion-like iPad?

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. FWIW I moved to Mac from Acorn, and the Mac was a real piece of cr*p in comparison. [;)]

DG

• "A real piece of cr*p in comparison"?!? That Acorn must have been something if you're not being facetious... Did you ever use Sibelius on it? I wonder what that would have been like... Back then I had dabbled with Personal Composer and Music Publisher on the Mac Plus (late '80s..), and wanted to try Score (on P.C. of course), but never did.

• I still have Amiga (with many extensions ethernet,soundcard (pro form year 1991 i think and i really mean pro smpte etc),graphicscard) and use it even Pegasos 2 (PowerPC based computer) which i also use. Only computers what owned but dont own now are PC (i dont want) and Commodote 64 (emulator is suitable good) and even my Computers have own good and bad points all of them. Worst what i used is PC noisy and buggy and slow operating system called Windows. My mac mini is only 50% faster in paper but but works clearly better faster,less bugs expection Logic crashes sometimes reasons what dont crash Sonar (i used hometstiudio 6 xl) in PC but have much better plugins.