Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,204 users have contributed to 42,282 threads and 255,008 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 62 new user(s).

• Hi Civilization 3,

Was viewing the comments on this post.  I run an 8-core Mac and have experienced many issues having to reboot due to Syncrosoft issues.  I should say that I assume their Syncrosoft issues because when everything locks up, there is a square image on my screen under the sequencer window...sometimes it just a white square other times it has Syncrosoft Error messages on it.  I don't know if it is because I'm up again memory or not.  I kinda thought that may be the case.

One question...  I use Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase 5.  When using Logic or Pro Tools LE, the fans on my Mac run at a low, quiet pace.  When I start Cubase, a few seconds later, the fans go into high gear.  It's like an airplane taking off.  Then awhile later they will back down for a minute or so, then start back up again.

Do you experience this?

I spoke with Cubase support and they advised that Cubase 5 is not support for 8-core Intels yet.  That seems strange to me but they said that I would have to wait for the next (post snow leopard) release before Cubase is supported on the 8-core Macs.

• last edited
    last edited

@Chuck Green said:

Hi Civilization 3,

Was viewing the comments on this post.  I run an 8-core Mac and have experienced many issues having to reboot due to Syncrosoft issues.  I should say that I assume their Syncrosoft issues because when everything locks up, there is a square image on my screen under the sequencer window...sometimes it just a white square other times it has Syncrosoft Error messages on it.  I don't know if it is because I'm up again memory or not.  I kinda thought that may be the case.

One question...  I use Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase 5.  When using Logic or Pro Tools LE, the fans on my Mac run at a low, quiet pace.  When I start Cubase, a few seconds later, the fans go into high gear.  It's like an airplane taking off.  Then awhile later they will back down for a minute or so, then start back up again.

Do you experience this?

I spoke with Cubase support and they advised that Cubase 5 is not support for 8-core Intels yet.  That seems strange to me but they said that I would have to wait for the next (post snow leopard) release before Cubase is supported on the 8-core Macs.

Yep the square box! a common issue I fear. Just had it in fact - I accidentally launched Logic 9 on my MacBook Pro which runs Snow Leopard and as the Syncrosoft dongle wasn't in place the Logic AU authorisation (first time i'd launched Logic on this computer in Snow Leopard) crapped out, crashing Vienna Ensemble and sending LCC wild with the resulting white box. The only way forward from there is a re-boot - vicious little thing is the e-licencer!

Julian

• Yes, I get the rectangular white outline of the VE opening window. That is the end of the line, and a reboot is the only way out. This has been happening for years. I still get regular "a license cannot be found...etc." messages. Normally at least once a day. Sometime a log out will work, sometimes a restart is necessary. Sometimes it seems to have to do with whether I have launched any other application prior to VE, but this may be delusional on my part. I always get the latest LCC and OS, but nothing seems to fix it. Very irritating.

Michael

• Yea,

I think that I was one of the first ones to get the 8-core Mac when they first came out.  During the same week, I bought every Vienna Library that was available and the rest since.  I noticed issues right way and started to identify them with tech support.  I really thought that the Vienna Team would step up and solve them.  One time I was asked to contact Syncrosoft directly if I wanted assistance ( go figure ).  Then after a year I started to complain on this forum and tech support.  The last year I've just given up complaining and choked it up to a $10,000 + learning experience.  It's like everything that I've identified previously, of which many more people now (more have purchased the 8-core Macs) are experiencing have fallen on death ears....

Maybe now with the increased numbers, someone at VSL will begin to listen and do something about it!  I can only hope.....

• One other thing....

Edger's early post is right on!!!  Once I purchased all the libraries, the increased time to start-up, to me was very unacceptable.  All I could think was why should the customer have to pay dearly in productivity time so that the Library Supplier can protect their investment?  What about the end-customers investment?  I suppose the issue really didn't seem big to VSL in the beginning because there was not many MacPro 8-cores in the field.  The PC guys farmed-up their 64-bit machines and pressed on only having to turn them on once in the beginning of their session.

The MacPro 8-cores guys (who invested significantly in a single machine -- 1 machine cost approx the same as 4 PCs) had to go through the long boot-up process many times in a day due to the other issues (i.e. Syncrosoft) that have been previously mentioned there by making this issue more significant to the Mac 8-core user.

At least now, I don't feel like I was the lone odd-ball complainer....

•  I also have a Mac pro 8-core but I use it with windows 64 bit to get the most from VSL.You have 10.000 dollars of libraries and I can't imagine how you could enjoy them with the limits of leopard.

Windows or OSX are not the best either. Try to get the most from both Operating systems and you will be happier.

Windows is not so worse[8-|]...

• Not even an apple to apple comparison Dietz.  Nuendo is a single application looking for a single license.  It seems that multiple license structure (as implemented with VSL libraries, Suit, Ensemble, etc) presents a major issue for the end-user from both a launch time and on-going system stability during a session.  The really gets-ya is the more libraries you purchase the worse everything gets.  At least, that's been my experience.

• I hear ya Sergio....  I have been considering do just that.  I was hoping Snow Leopard would solve the issues and I could stay with the apple OS now that I've taken the time to learn it.  Was a PC guy prior to the switch a couple of years ago.  I'm going to give it another month or so then make the decision.

In the interim,  I been using EASTWEST and Miroslav until VSL and Apple get this debunkel figured out.  At least for now, I've been really enjoying writing music again with a stable, productive system.......

Thanks for the advice.

• last edited
    last edited

@Chuck Green said:

Hi Civilization 3,

Do you experience this?

I have not experienced the all-white GUI with VE, and once only with a plug in Cubase, I don't run Vienna Instruments, strictly VE 2, so I have no experience to report with it.

Cubase isn't optimal as far as this machine, it's true. I have bought Logic in fact. But, it's only noticeable for me as far as, I think my latency should be significantly better with vstis. With VE only it's not so much a problem, but a couple instances of Kontakt and BFD2 - plugins the normal way - and it's tough to get the action I require.

The syncrosoft problem I was having was Cubase wasn't seeing the key, and I would have to log out and back in sometimes. With a goodly amt of inserts in VE, it does take a while for a project to load. Activating a project when another project is open, and one of them uses VE (let alone 2) and Kontakt multiple instances, that can be a problem, Cubase trying to load both at the same time it seems like. So, I quit Cubase in these situations now. The worse troubles I'm seeing here, I don't experience really.

• last edited
    last edited

@EwaldK said:

Syncrosoft has been a disaster over here too (I use a Mac), same problems as described by previous users. Been using iLok since ca 2000 when I bought Nuendo [...]

For the sake of completeness: Nuendo uses a Syncrosoft/eLicenser key since Day One.

I'm sorry to say so, but you are wrong on this one. After version1 Nuendo I have never upgraded or worked with Nuendo (so I don't know what kind of licenser they have used since then) but that 1.x release was definitely using an iLok.

• I'm glad that this post gets so much response. Just hope that VSL at least acknowledge that there is an issue. If they decide that this is just an problem for a couple of Mac users (they are always a pain in the ^%$ anyway) and then only the Logic guys (even more pain in the ^%$), that's ok. But they have to keep in mind that the more a user spends on VLS products the more problems he has and if VSL decides to ignore them then they are cutting out their most valuable ($$$) customers. These are the ones that have the money to buy the expensive Imperial, MIR, or FX Suite products.

It was mentioned before that spending $10k+ and then get punished for it on top of it with all that copy protection stuff doesn't make for a good customer relationship. I would love to buy more VSL products in the future  but at these hidden costs it is just not worth it. There are other good piano plugins, there are other good room simulations and other FX Suites, not to mentioned Orchestra Library and if VSL is just bringing out new shiny products without cleaning up the mess behind it then they could end up sitting on their products without finding anybody (in the Mac community at least) that would buy it.

Just to enforce the seriousness of the problem again.
    It was mentioned that you have to wait only once for the long verification process when you first boot up your system. Just that thought alone is already troublesome. To sit through a long installation/registration process once when you freashly install your new product is ok. But why do I have do proof every day that I'm not a thief? Even "once" a day is not really true in the real world where a computer has more stuff running than just VSL. There is the system, there is Logic, there is maybe the EuCon protocol and tons of other stuff could make a system very vulnerable.
    If Logic crashes while you reaching its Memory limit, the Euphonix EuCon protocol gets angry and quits after the third time, now the system gets really unstable, because the VSL server could also run close to 3.5GB VM. And lets face it the VSL server is not as smart as the Kontakt server that keeps the instrument in RAM and is not locked to Logic's "well being". So running your system to the max which is more the standard if you are using it in a professional way and not just cutting some loops in the Garage at the weekend then you can end up having to reboot your system more than once a day, and you know what that means ... "Nooooo, you don't have to verify every %$#% sample again ... no I didn't steal anything since the last three hours ... I was busy waiting to load all the samples into the VI plugin that just crashed ... ^%$^%$"

Did I mention that I'm not a big fan of the Syncrosoft solution, just in case that didn't come across.

• last edited
    last edited

@EwaldK said:

Syncrosoft has been a disaster over here too (I use a Mac), same problems as described by previous users. Been using iLok since ca 2000 when I bought Nuendo [...]

For the sake of completeness: Nuendo uses a Syncrosoft/eLicenser key since Day One.

I'm sorry to say so, but you are wrong on this one. After version1 Nuendo I have never upgraded or worked with Nuendo (so I don't know what kind of licenser they have used since then) but that 1.x release was definitely using an iLok.

We would have to ask a Steinberg veteran to make sure. As a matter of fact I used Nuendo 1.0 before it was released publically, and it used a SyncroSoft-Key. But let's stop now, as this is not what we discuss here - otherwise I would have to start to tell you _my_ iLok-horrorstories from the last decade or so. 8-]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • both ilok and syncrosoft work on my machine. but i would not support ilok. they want to charge the end customer to for a warranty and essentially tax them for being able to use the software they use. this is grotesque! at the moment it looks like ilok does not work on mac os x 10.6 - their support team is on vacation. this is no way to run this business!

a dongle manufacturer MUST guarantee that the end user can use the product they bought. everything else would advertise piracy. legitimate users should not be compromised!

• Hi:

From the excessive license scanning time at start up (which can happen regularly - just as Edgar notes) to the mysterious white boxes that appear when a Syncrosoft error occurs - even though it worked just a moment ago and will work again when you restart, move the dongle to another port and sacrifice a virgin goat to the God of Copy Protection, just to continue working - Syncrosoft has plagued many Mac/Logic/VI installations that I know of.

On an interesting note, I see that Steinberg have released a new LCC (or eLCC as it is now...). Whether this will upgrade the performance of the underlying software too, I pray this will be the case.

Has anyone any experience with this new version yet? I'm not with my system at the moment, so I can't try it myself...

Best wishes,

Pants.

• Hi:

Well, what do you know - I just set up a brand new Mac, with VI/VE 2.0.4017, eLicenser 6.0.1.8, Mac OS X 10.6.1 and loaded up a Vienna Instrument no problem.

I then quit VI and launched VE and got the mysterious white square of death.

Not impressed. :-(

Pants.

• Hi Pants,

I couldnĀ“t find any registrations under your forum name - which instruments are you using, which soundcard are you working with? IĀ“m working on 10.6.1 all the time, no problems here at all.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Just registered to say thanks to everyone in this topic! A fellow engineer advised me on the Vienna Libraries and I was just doin' some "research" before deciding to hand over the cash. I have a brand new 8-core Mac and up till now only using iLok protected software. The Vienna Library would be the first addition requiring me to add Syncrosoft to the list of undesired extra stuff on my system. I must say that I'm kind of "shocked" by the number of Mac users having trouble with the Syncrosoft protection system. Surely one can't blame VSL entirely for problems that mainly seem to be the result of bad Mac programming on Syncrosoft's end, but I also find the ignorant absence of VSL in this topic very disturbing. Maybe VSL thinks that a problem doesn't exist if they just ignore it? Or maybe it's just an attitude of "they already bought the product, why put more effort in it". Anyhow; just wanted to say thanks for this "warning". Unfortunately I'll be looking for another product that I can use either with my iLok or just a plain old serial or challenge/response protection. I'm guessing everyone in this topic saved me some money but more importantly; probably saved me a lot of frustrations. In return I can only hope that my post may contribute a little in a way that maybe VSL will start to understand that this -will- cost them money as these kinds of reports might effectively scare away new customers. Word of mouth is very important. Not only I am now "warned" about these problems, but I'll be sure to direct any fellow Mac users to this topic would they ever consider to buy VSL (or maybe any Syncrosoft protected product for that matter). Since I don't get a very good feeling about VSL itself also, maybe they'll just solve this problem by removing this entire topic? But I wish everybody in here good luck with solving this problem and thank you all for the very interesting and valuable read! Sincerely, Ruben (Sorry for the big chuck of text. Somehow the board keeps removing all my blank lines!)

• In my opinion, there are problems or not in both worlds. Syncosoft and Ilok. Since now and i work with both. personalty i prefer the syncrosoft more than the i lok. A Member of my Band got very bad expirience with his i look. The site suddenly havenĀ“t known his i lok. So he had to buy a new one. And the very bad thing on that the licence was gone even though he can proof that he have a document. Nobody was intristed in. I think this is a very bad service!

•  welcome ruben, and thanks for continuing eLicenser bashing ...

obviously you're an OS X programmer and have analyzed the eLicenser application carefully before you formed your judgement.

as much obviously you ignored that there has been a severe and reproducable problem with USB on OS X 10.5.6 which possibly is covered by now or possibly not from the operating system side.

OS X is a UNIX-like operating system and very sensitive on permission issues, especially after installation of software and updates, so before you're crying *doesn't work* take the time and check permissions on the system volume.

also you should never install something which affects running processes but better reboot before (or at least restart the related processes - as you had to do on each kind of UNIX system)

last but not least avoid using cheap USB hubs and take care your attached devices do not consume too much power from the USB busses.

all this are basic tasks could prevent software from running properly.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • For what it's worth Ruben,

I own a Mac-Pro 8-core and have had issues in the past with the eLicenser hanging up the loads but since the latest release of VE-PRO and the eLicenser update, it's been smooth sailing.

I have had NO ISSUES running Logic and VE-PRO (1 machine, 6 instances of VE-PRO 64bit, Logic 9, and Snow Leopard).

VERY IMPRESSED!!!

By the way, I also have iLock on the machine.