Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,632 users have contributed to 42,399 threads and 255,547 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• MIR is most definitely going to require its own machine, at least with current technological limitations. One simply can not work with that many IRs (several hundred at a time) while doing other tasks. Perhaps with the introduction of quad-core processors and the lifting of the RAM barrier we will see computers powerful enough to handle both MIR and a certain amount of, for lack of a better term, compositional elements, but for the moment I can't see it as feasible.

It's important to remember that MIR is not just a mix panel or reverb plugin, it's designed to serve as the primary front end for the VSL library. What, exactly, that will mean remains somewhat unclear - at least to me.

Dietz, please feel free to contradict me on any of this; I'm just rehashing what I've read.

Duncan

• 100's? Wow...I didn't realize that. Hopefully their will be a "low end" usage of cpu just for the sake of ambience [:P]. I remember hearing about Gigapulse's ability to also recreate the "body" of instruments using impulses....? If that is true than MIR will indeed be used for more than just reverb [[:|]] ! Imagine the possibilities....."Epic Strings" here we come!

• Formats is also interesting...no?

Could this mean that Halion and Kontakt users will no longer be limited to the Horizon series?

And the 'Matrix'!?!

- I'm thinking this will mean that we can effectively utilise 'bullet time' in the studio, allowing us to get more work done in a shorter time - or have extended tea breaks without missing a deadline [8-)]

• I really need to sleep ... sorry. See you in 5 days !

ZzZzzZzZZZZzzzZzzzzzZzZzzZZZzZzZZz

• I'm sure I also saw the words 'chanter', 'grace notes', 'drones' and 'scottish' ...

But seriously I've only recently discovered VSL and I thought it looked amazing enough - this new thing looks really awsome.

I'm now starting to think 'midi baton' - that would be nice [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Duncan S. said:

MIR is most definitely going to require its own machine, at least with current technological limitations. One simply can not work with that many IRs (several hundred at a time) while doing other tasks. Perhaps with the introduction of quad-core processors and the lifting of the RAM barrier we will see computers powerful enough to handle both MIR and a certain amount of, for lack of a better term, compositional elements, but for the moment I can't see it as feasible.

It's important to remember that MIR is not just a mix panel or reverb plugin, it's designed to serve as the primary front end for the VSL library. What, exactly, that will mean remains somewhat unclear - at least to me.

Dietz, please feel free to contradict me on any of this; I'm just rehashing what I've read.

Duncan

I couldn't put it better, Duncan, thanks a bunch! [:)]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • If MIR *requires* a computer just for it's purposes then is it assumed that one has to have more than one computer to properly use Symphonic Cube? I hope this is not the case....

THEN again is MIR going to be included in Symphonic Cube or just "announced" alongside it?

• What is scary is how expenssive this will be... but whats equally or more scary is how expenssive it will be in terms of new computers, cables, soundcards and mixers to get everything connected.

• last edited
    last edited

@Austin Haynes said:

If MIR *requires* a computer just for it's purposes then is it assumed that one has to have more than one computer to properly use Symphonic Cube? I hope this is not the case....

One needs more than one computer already to use the Pro Edition "properly", so I'm sure that SC will be no different in that regard.

DG

• It's all relative really depending on what you need for your piece but even so you would still need an additional computer for just MIR so it still applies... [:'(] To buy this and get an additional computer will be beyond as far as price....I'm still hoping it's "reachable".

• Oh I know [I] Let's have a Christmas sale PLUS a Group Buy [:D] [:D] [[;)]]

• I suppose that as I already have a PC farm, one more won't make any difference [:)]

As to price, however much it is it can't be as expensive as hiring an orchestra, and if it saves my time then it will be worth it.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

What is scary is how expenssive this will be... but whats equally or more scary is how expenssive it will be in terms of new computers, cables, soundcards and mixers to get everything connected.

Ditto.

No Opus 3 on the horizon?

No?

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

What is scary is how expenssive this will be... but whats equally or more scary is how expenssive it will be in terms of new computers, cables, soundcards and mixers to get everything connected.

Ditto.

No Opus 3 on the horizon?

No?

If there are significant additions (as no doubt there will be) and perhaps new performance tool functions, it would be quite nice if an Opus3 package were available for the poor (and frequently miserable [:P] ) amongst the user base. [:)]
    It would also be nice if this theoretical third package more closely followed the model of opulence (ie. big value) of the 1st Opus. [[;)]]
    (not that I'm complaining about Opus2, I am very happy to have opted for the bundle and use the additional sounds regularly - but when comparing price per sample between the two there is a fairly obvious disparity..).

• What none of you have even considered is the possibility that it'll be free. Don't forget, Christmas is very close now, and Herb wouldn't look that out of place with a Santa costume on, and a few reindeer and elves scattered around him. For all we know, he might even be the real Father Christmas.

[Whispered] If we're all good boys and girls, we could be receiving a very big and special gift on Christmas day. [:D]

• Does anyone think that MIR might come with it's own hardware? That way buying the Symphonic Cube will also give you the needs for running MIR. The only downfall to this approach is that a computer is usually cheaper than a hardware box. What do you think?

• last edited
    last edited

@Austin Haynes said:

Does anyone think that MIR might come with it's own hardware? That way buying the Symphonic Cube will also give you the needs for running MIR. The only downfall to this approach is that a computer is usually cheaper than a hardware box. What do you think?

Not a lot of evidence that VSL have branched into hardware thus far - so, unlikely.

• last edited
    last edited

@Mobius said:

What none of you have even considered is the possibility that it'll be free. Don't forget, Christmas is very close now, and Herb wouldn't look that out of place with a Santa costume on, and a few reindeer and elves scattered around him. For all we know, he might even be the real Father Christmas.

[Whispered] If we're all good boys and girls, we could be receiving a very big and special gift on Christmas day. [:D]

In your dreams... [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Mobius said:

What none of you have even considered is the possibility that it'll be free. Don't forget, Christmas is very close now, and Herb wouldn't look that out of place with a Santa costume on, and a few reindeer and elves scattered around him. For all we know, he might even be the real Father Christmas.

[Whispered] If we're all good boys and girls, we could be receiving a very big and special gift on Christmas day. [[:D]]

Man - they have very strong drugs (probably illegal) in the UK. [[:D]]

Rob

• This "Hype" is getting me to excited about this. I can't stop thinking about what the "clues" will be and therefore keep coming back more than once a day....SEVERAL times a day [:P] . Darn the countdown! I need to pull the plug on the internet lol. Must stay sane.... [:D]