Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,378 users have contributed to 42,392 threads and 255,499 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 63 new user(s).

• I think the number "3 456" will be the number of coffee cup we will need to try all the new samples.

[:P]

• I'm wondering just how different this will be it's predecessor; not necessarily how much a 'leap forward' or whatever, but just how.. different.

• Quite frankly, I'm interested in how they will make it less technical and more creative instead of just all the samples. If there is some way that it is like Synful, I will be happy. Just more samples and that is all won't excite as much as how they innovate with their tools [;)]. Of course, if the Choir was included I would be happy [:D]

• I'm expecting The Cube and MIR - If there is any kind of choir I will be genuinely suprised.

Soon it will be DAY 2... you with me Austin? [:)]

• I join in the chorus of hope for VSL ease and intelligence.

But there is a caveat when we compare VSL to Synful. VSL needs sample RAM. Synful generates its own waves and takes up only 32 MB of RAM.

So it's fine to imagine a program sorting through MIDI data, interpreting the articulations and rendering them on our behalf, as Synful does. But in VSL, those articulations first need to be loaded. I can't imagine that changing, and it does bring my dreams back to Earth.

But the greater truth is, VSL is being assembled by musical minds. And I find great encouragement in that, whatever they present to us. I'm so impressed that they are re-engineering VSL to empower the composer *as he conceives of music,* not as technology forces him to think.

Sometimes in Logic, I get that "tail wags the dog" feeling. And I think VSL is working hard to avoid just that.

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

I join in the chorus of hope for VSL ease and intelligence.

But there is a caveat when we compare VSL to Synful. VSL needs sample RAM. Synful generates its own waves and takes up only 32 MB of RAM.

So it's fine to imagine a program sorting through MIDI data, interpreting the articulations and rendering them on our behalf, as Synful does. But in VSL, those articulations first need to be loaded. I can't imagine that changing, and it does bring my dreams back to Earth.

But the greater truth is, VSL is being assembled by musical minds. And I find great encouragement in that, whatever they present to us. I'm so impressed that they are re-engineering VSL to empower the composer *as he conceives of music,* not as technology forces him to think.

Sometimes in Logic, I get that "tail wags the dog" feeling. And I think VSL is working hard to avoid just that.

Nice post, Plowman. For as long as I've used Logic, I've never fallen in love with it. I would have avoided it altogether were it not for VSL.

I must say that if I've found this particular thread in any way entertaining, the VSL team must be thoroughly enjoying themselves while soaking in all the spec. Nothing like a mystery to get everyone chatting with vigor!

It will be most interesting to compare the long list of imaginatve feature requests on this thread with the actual package to appear soon-- and then to see which features suggested over the past few days will find its way in one incarnation or another to VSL in future updates.

Cheers!
    JWL

• 2 days!

but the movie [and today's clue!] hasn't loaded yet.. [:(]

• It's there. At first I didn't even realize that the "woodwinds, strings, brass, percussion" thingy is a clue. [:)] It must be pretty obvious what's coming. Can't wait to hear that how long I have to live poorly to be able to afford it. Not that I'm rich without it. [8-)]

• I just noticed the number 10... What could that possibly be?

• I also just noticed this thread has over 12 thousand views!

• Plowman,

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that VSL is completely unlike Synful, even in the ways you suggest. After all, Synful is sample-based. It's just that they've turned to a sample-resynthesis method, rather than using the raw samples themselves -- the "library" is small simply because it consists only of control data for the resynthesis engine, not the complete original samples themselves.
    Also keep in mind that with an intelligent front-end it simply is not necessary to pre-load all the articulations. The whole point of an "intelligent" front-end is that it no longer needs to load a complete "sample map" every time a new articulation is required. Rather, it is only necessary to load the sample for the desired articulation at the desired pitch. Very possible to do... in fact, I've even done it myself! (Yes, I will release it someday... but it's a little deflating when I imagine what VSL will/might be coming out with... gulp! It's all very exciting though.)

J.

• last edited
    last edited

@magates said:

I also just noticed this thread has over 12 thousand views!

That's cause there's twelve people here that have looked at it a thousand times.

• last edited
    last edited

@magates said:

I also just noticed this thread has over 12 thousand views!

That's cause there's twelve people here that have looked at it a thousand times.

[:D]

• 2 days left. Has everybody bought their lottery tickets?

• I think I should win a free copy for starting this thread!

• It's so close now you can almost smell it!

• So today is 2 days - does this mean tomorrow (Friday) is 1 day or the day of the annoucement? Otherwise its a Saturday and I'm sure VSL will be having the weekend off....

[:O]ops: apologies if this has been covered but i've not read the entire 20+ pages of postings... [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@magates said:

I think I should win a free copy for starting this thread!

And that's what you'll get for it: A piece of thread!

• last edited
    last edited

@timkiel said:

So today is 2 days - does this mean tomorrow (Friday) is 1 day or the day of the annoucement? Otherwise its a Saturday and I'm sure VSL will be having the weekend off....

[:O]ops: apologies if this has been covered but i've not read the entire 20+ pages of postings... [:D]

No it means there is 1 day left tommorow. The announcement will come the 26th - saturday

• "The whole point of an "intelligent" front-end is that it no longer needs to load a complete 'sample map' every time a new articulation is required. Rather, it is only necessary to load the sample for the desired articulation at the desired pitch."

I understand. I presently can't conceive of intelligence so powerful, it can interpret MIDI live and access any one of the numberless VSL arts, then *load* them, then play them back without latency, even if it is only one note and not the entire map. I'd think at least the head of the sample would need to be in RAM still.

But here, I'm speaking about "live" playback. And your observations make me wonder if we're looking at a post facto playback. Could this be the "sequencer" seen in the tease campaign, and have we broached the world of "look-ahead" or "second pass" interpretation? Give VSL one look at the music, and it would then decide how to perform it (or otherwise equip the user to make some better choices).

The alternative would be re-synthesis, or wave form generation. I don't think that we'd be seeing a Symphonic Cube of these mammoth proportions if Synful-like technology was being introduced.

At the end of the day (or two days, at this point), I still think we're going to get a sample-triggering program from VSL. It will analyze MIDI data, sure enough, but only to the end of playing back the right sample. As such, the core difference between the two technologies remains (or three, as I'm sure we'd happily consider your work, jbm, in this emerging embarrassment of riches).