Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,990 users have contributed to 42,272 threads and 254,967 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• I rolled LogicPro back to version 10.6.3 and the VePro.AU3 plugin (latest version) is working fine now, no more hanging notes.  MacOS = Monterey for me.

I did some monitoring also from LogicPro 10.7.2, using a Scripter-based midi monitor right in front of the VePro.AU3 plugin in order to see what LogicPro is sending to the plugin....  as Macker noted....All NoteOff's are eaten on certain ports.  Absolutely none of them are showing up in the log....so VePro.AU3 plugin or VePro latest version are not to blame in my view.

This is with a project that does not have any fancy environment cabling or transformers or anything.  The only thing in the environment are the channel strips that are automatically created there by LogicPro itself.  

I do not think this problem is related to environment objects per say, but LogicPro 10.7. did add some new features related to being able to specify the input midi port and channel on each track...which has been a long overdue feature, but I suspect somehow they broke AU3 compatibility in terms of how internal track NoteOff's are routed to different AU3 midi ports...  I will submit a bug report to Apple on this, and everyone else should too in order to get their attention.

For now, I think if you want to use AU3 VePro, don't go past LogicPro 10.6.3.

The other problem related to AU2 multiport macros is a separate issue, having nothing to do with LogicPro's AU3 port handling, but having to do with apparently new bugs in some of the environment objects such as transformers....   They were always a bit problematic.  It might be even worse now.

I don't really want to waste any time trying to debug broken environment features, if Apple has broken the transformer this badly, there are going to be some very unhappy people out there...hopefully they will resolve it eventually..  But part of me wonders if the reports about broken environment are also related in some way to the work Apple did to add midi input port and channel...even without AU3..it may have screwed up generally the routing of midi in some way which is confusing Transformer and other environment objects.  (shrug).  I leave that to someone else to figure out.

I have long since moved on away from those multiport macros to using VePro.AU3 instead and generally avoid the multiport macro's as they have some other issues not-withstanding.  Me personally, I would choose any of the following options before I would choose to use the old multiport macro hacks.

1. Just use single port AU.  It works fine.  Unfortunately it means no more than 16 midi channels per VePro instance, but there are many people out there that even prefer to have only one instrument per VePro instance, so its not the end of the world to do that with LogicPro.

2. Use VePro.AU3 with LogicPro 10.6, don't upgrade to 10.7.  It is working fine for me except for transport sync.

3. Switch DAW's.  Most of the other DAW's work totally fine with the VST3 or MAS version of VePro plugin, including up to 768 instruments per VePro instance.

• last edited
    last edited

Your problem is remembering me problems I had when I develop my environment.

If you want to send me a song with just a few notes on a few midi port and on a few midi channel  that is causing you problem I can monitor the result and if It is the problems I had I could give you a fix for the environnement

Just cross fingers 

@Macker said:

[UPDATE]

For the sake of tying up loose ends, I've just been testing Logic 10.7.2 with and without the VEPro AU2 plugin, while still using VSL's multiport AU2 multiport workaround - also testing the snake oil 3rd party revision of VSL's AU2 workaround.

The good news for VSL is that the VEPro AU2 plugin appears to be innocent! Logic 10.7.2's Environment still produces its spurious garbage even without any VSL plugin!

The problem appears to be that the Transformer object in Logic's Environment is currently very badly broken. I discovered this by sending the output of VSL's AU2 multiport workaround addition in the Environment directly out on an IAC Bus, then examining what appeared on that IAC Bus in Snoize's excellent MIDI Monitor app. Logic's spurious garbage is there in all its glory in MIDI Monitor - with no VSL plugins in the Logic project at all! The snake oil revision of VSL's AU2 workaround, as expected, sends out the same garbage as VSL's version.

There doesn't appear to be any way of testing new Logic's multiport behaviour without the VEPro AU3 plugin, so at present I'm unable to demonstrate the guilt or innocence of the VEPro AU3 plugin in Logic 10.7.2.

Although it's no help to users of large templates in Logic, VEPro AU2 still appears to work normally in new Logic on a 1 Instance with 1 port per VEPro plugin basis - i.e. without the extra stuff in Logic's Environment as required for VSL's AU2 multiport workaround.

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Cyril, generous of you to offer your help. But since I don't know you, nor have any idea of your work and level of expertise and experience with Logic's Environment, I have a few questions for you, hope you don't mind:-

1.  VEPro doesn't appear in your list of kit. Is that perhaps just an accidental omission in your list?

2.  If you do work with VEPro, do you currently have a good working multiport connection between VEPro and a large template in Logic 10.7.2, using either the AU3 or AU2 VEPro client plugin?

3.  Are you fully conversant with the two most widely mentioned VEPro AU2 multiport workarounds available for Logic's Environment:- (a) the original design as provided by VSL, and (b) what I regard as the "snake oil" revision of VSL's original, as noisily promoted and provided by a certain 3rd party?

4.  Do you perhaps have, or know of, any other VEPro AU2 multiport workarounds that work properly in Logic 10.7.2's Environment?

Thanks for your kind attention.

• Cyril, generous of you to offer your help. But since I don't know you, nor have any idea of your work and level of expertise and experience with Logic's Environment, I have a few questions for you, hope you don't mind:-

1.  VEPro doesn't appear in your list of kit. Is that perhaps just an accidental omission in your list?

I work with VEPRO since many many years, look at all the libs I own

2.  If you do work with VEPro, do you currently have a good working multiport connection between VEPro and a large template in Logic 10.7.2, using either the AU3 or AU2 VEPro client plugin?

Many years ago I develop an environnement that use program changes to do articulation changes 

3.  Are you fully conversant with the two most widely mentioned VEPro AU2 multiport workarounds available for Logic's Environment:- (a) the original design as provided by VSL, and (b) what I regard as the "snake oil" revision of VSL's original, as noisily promoted and provided by a certain 3rd party?

After many trial on a 100 instrument template using VE PRO or IAC , I found that I have better result using VI, Logic workload is more equilibrated

4.  Do you perhaps have, or know of, any other VEPro AU2 multiport workarounds that work properly in Logic 10.7.2's Environment?

There are two or three tricks in the environnement, I have correct V1 of the version of the AU2 Environnement given by VSL

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Macker said:

Without seeing your actual project or a more exact and thorough description of the environment problem you're having, I can only point you to this 4 year old thread that explains one particular bug in the Environment that has existed for years and was directly affecting the VSL AU2 multiport macro templates:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137162

since you seem to have experienced a problem since updating to LogicPro 10.7, this may or may not be the problem you are experience, but it's still perhaps a useful example of a problem in the environment, with a possible work around.  In this particular case the problem encountered 4 years ago was related to the fact that some transforms were not handling NoteOff events quite right...and even worse the behavior was inconsistent depending on whether the midi was coming from a region or coming from a midi keyboard.  There are some really old forum posts, 10+ years, on the logicPro forum which also explain this particular problem and some work arounds, so it is not a new problem at all.

This work around eliminated many hanging notes that were common with the original VSL AU2 multiport macro templates.  

I still rather recommend running the AU3 plugin on LogicPro 10.6.3 for now.

another problem with the AU2 multiport macro templates from VSL is related to what happens when you hit STOP on the transport.  LogicPro normally sends out an All Notes Off message, which covers all 16 midi channels, to cut off hanging notes, etc.  Unfortunately LogicPro does not encode those with CC99 messages according to the multiport macro approach, so you can be left with a lot of hanging notes when you hit STOP from that.  My "snake oil" templates from 4 years ago included a Scripter script which attempts to duplicate ALL NOTES OFF to all the various ports, encoded with CC99, etc.  It basically works ok most of the time.  

Another problem generally noted by the AU2 CC99 trick is that it appears to create midi bottleneck congestion in LogicPro more often since so many midi events are funneling through a single process buffer.  Setting the process buffer to LARGE does help.  But another factor to be concerned about with this CC99 approach is that the exact ordering of all the midi events has to be preserved and there are some semi-rare situations where the merging of all the various tracks of midi into a single place...with CC99's inserted in front of Notes, etc..might sometimes result in two CC99's in front of two notes...instead of CC99-note-cc99-note..etc.  which again, can result in incorrect handling.

Perhaps you can use the snake oil to learn something and repair whatever is going on with your environment setup that you are preparing to sell, which undoubtedly must be much more complex.   The last version of the snake oil templates are here: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=137085

In general I still have to recommend NOT using the AU2 CC99 trick to handle multiport with vePro7.  The AU3 capability works much much much better...with no issues at all related to NoteOff's and no environment trickery. The only catch for now, is that apparently Apple broke AU3 port handling in version 10.7, so stick with LogicPro 10.6 for now until further notice.   

• Cyril, many thanks for answering those tedious questions. Very kind of you.

Alas, I do hope you'll understand and forgive me when I say that I won't now be discussing this particular Logic problem any further here - unless of course there is some real news to report. The topic has now become too ... how can I put this ... 'contaminated'. And that's unfair on you also; I'd like to have discussed the problem with you. C'est la vie.

That said, it's easy for anyone to investigate this problem by setting some simple tests to provide the evidence.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with any Logic project files because my normal use of Logic involves a very large and complex subsystem that I've designed and built in Logic's Environment. Indeed I usually quickly set up special and mostly very simple tests in a clean and empty Logic project in order to investigate any problems with Logic itself, which was the case here. I'm afraid I've no tests saved to send you to save you the time. To give you some idea of my Environment subsystem I've attached a (deliberately blurred) shot of one part of an Environment layer; the whole subsystem occupies 16 new layers.

• last edited
    last edited

@Macker said:

Cyril, many thanks for answering those tedious questions. Very kind of you.

Alas, I do hope you'll understand and forgive me when I say that I won't now be discussing this particular Logic problem any further here - unless of course there is some real news to report. The topic has now become too ... how can I put this ... 'contaminated'. And that's unfair on you also; I'd like to have discussed the problem with you. C'est la vie.

That said, it's easy for anyone to investigate this problem by setting some simple tests to provide the evidence.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with any Logic project files because my normal use of Logic involves a very large and complex subsystem that I've designed and built in Logic's Environment. Indeed I usually quickly set up special and mostly very simple tests in a clean and empty Logic project in order to investigate any problems with Logic itself, which was the case here. I'm afraid I've no tests saved to send you to save you the time. To give you some idea of my Environment subsystem I've attached a (deliberately blurred) shot of one part of an Environment layer; the whole subsystem occupies 16 new layers.

If you have touch VSL environnement YOU are ONLY responsible of your problem.

It's your problem to debug what you have add

• Quite so, Cyril, and of course acting responsibly applies in both professional and amateur endeavours wherever there are consequences for other people. Furthermore, I'll mention the time-honoured virtues of honesty, integrity, respect and conscience, in this regard.

As a design engineer (retired), what I find alarming is to discover a predatory arriviste who seems to think the "fake it 'til you make it" approach is appropriate in technical endeavours! Anyone who appears to feel entitled not only to speak out grandiosely as if an authority on technical matters in which he is (often very obviously) not an expert, but also to smear the work, opinions and good standing of others who are far ahead of him in expertise, surely is behaving maladaptively, to say the least. One of the difficulties in addressing this arriviste-problem is that it has to be stopped through the interventions of others. Professionals in such matters all indicate that individuals with that type of personality disorder simply do not have the conscience to stop themselves - think of, for example, convicted fraudsters Elizabeth Holmes and Anna Delvey.

What I like and admire about this forum is the very high general standard of responsibility, honesty and integrity of enthusiasts, most of whom don't claim any professional technical standing. It grieves me to see an arriviste preying on these good folks.

• UPDATE - Logic Pro 10.6.3 Alert.

I'm finding strange behaviour in the Environment of Logic 10.6.3 in Big Sur. It's hard to pin down and might perhaps be simply a graphics display anomaly. It's not present in either Logic 10.4.8 (High Sierra) or Logic 10.7.2 (Big Sur). Pending further investigation and testing, all I can say at the moment is that it might not be advisable to regard Logic 10.6.3 as entirely safe for any projects that include custom additions in the Environment. I'll post further findings on this problem when and if I can get a clearer understanding of it.

In Logic 10.4.8 (in both High Sierra and Big Sur) I've found the Environment to be stable and safe, with only one known bug that had to be avoided by my own extensive designs in the Environment - i.e. the Transformer's 14-bit arithmetic is broken. It so happens that this particular bug has been fixed by Apple in the latest Logic, even though, ironically, the Transformer now appears to be seriously broken in new ways when connected in a MIDI note path.

• last edited
    last edited

If you are using 1st version of VSL Environnement it is quite normal you are experimenting a lot of repeated instructions.

I have send to VSL a corrected version that did not do it

I am also a 70 year old and retired  ; my job was system programming on many computers !

I spend hundred of hours working with the Environnement since 2005

@Macker said:

Quite so, Cyril, and of course acting responsibly applies in both professional and amateur endeavours wherever there are consequences for other people. Furthermore, I'll mention the time-honoured virtues of honesty, integrity, respect and conscience, in this regard.

As a design engineer (retired), what I find alarming is to discover a predatory arriviste who seems to think the "fake it 'til you make it" approach is appropriate in technical endeavours! Anyone who appears to feel entitled not only to speak out grandiosely as if an authority on technical matters in which he is (often very obviously) not an expert, but also to smear the work, opinions and good standing of others who are far ahead of him in expertise, surely is behaving maladaptively, to say the least. One of the difficulties in addressing this problem is that it has to be stopped through the interventions of others; because as professionals in such matters all indicate, individuals with that type of personality disorder simply do not have the conscience to stop themselves. (Think of, for example, convicted fraudsters Elizabeth Holmes and Anna Delvey.)

What I like and admire about this forum is the very high general standard of responsibility, honesty and integrity of enthusiasts, most of whom don't claim any professional technical standing. It grieves me to see an arriviste preying on these good folks.

• last edited
    last edited

Place an object "Monitor" just before going to the VSL VE object !

clear the monitor window and play one note

you should get a very few CTRL and your note 

@Macker said:

UPDATE - Logic Pro 10.6.3 Alert.

I'm finding strange behaviour in the Environment of Logic 10.6.3 in Big Sur. It's hard to pin down and might perhaps be simply a graphics display anomaly. It's not present in either Logic 10.4.8 (High Sierra) or Logic 10.7.2 (Big Sur). Pending further investigation and testing, all I can say at the moment is that it might not be advisable to regard Logic 10.6.3 as entirely safe for any projects that include custom additions in the Environment. I'll post further findings on this problem when and if I can get a clearer understanding of it.

In Logic 10.4.8 (in both High Sierra and Big Sur) I've found the Environment to be stable and safe, with only one known bug that had to be avoided by my own extensive designs in the Environment - i.e. the Transformer's 14-bit arithmetic is broken. It so happens that this particular bug has been fixed by Apple in the latest Logic, even though, ironically, the Transformer now appears to be seriously broken in new ways when connected in a MIDI note path.

• Cyril, I'm glad to meet another retired professional engaged in the joy and challenges of digital music-making! I was formerly a weapon systems designer.

Logic's Environment has been my main place of work in my private passion of music-making ever since I first met it 21 years ago in Logic Audio Platinum 3.5.

Perhaps I didn't clearly explain my own current situation with Logic. I have no problems working in High Sierra with VEPro AU3 7.0.1056 and Logic 10.4.8, using my AU3 multiport template. I shall continue with this configuration for as long as possible, hoping that Apple will eventually fix the new problems in Logic 10.7. But I also have a Big Sur boot volume in which I keep an eye on the state of affairs with later Logic and VEPro versions (though of course I won't know about Apple M1 operation until I buy M1 hardware).

I'm sure other Logic users who don't have the convenience of working with an older Logic in an older macOS may want to know about your VEPro AU2 multiport workaround, Cyril. Perhaps you will post something about it here? (Toutefois, Je suis certainement d'accord pour dire que la perspective d'une arriviste déclenché, jetant sa merde tout atour en conséquence, est désagréable pour vous et moi. Lol.)

• last edited
    last edited

Why don't you want to use the Object Monitor !

May be there is a change in the AudioMidi

@Macker said:

Cyril, I'm glad to meet another retired professional engaged in the joy and challenges of digital music-making! I was formerly a weapon systems designer.

I started getting seriously busy with digital sampling techniques for orchestral music production in 2001, using a 400 MHz iMac with Logic Audio Platinum v3.5, Reason v1, and Peter Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra samples. I immediately recognized Logic's Environment to be a wonderful facility in which to develop a concept I'd worked on theoretically back in the '70s - i.e., replacing Equal Temperament with authentic orchestral intonation. Way back then I had designed a mutliple-derivative divider to produce the set of tones I needed (using very high speed Motorola 2900 ECL chips), with the intention of synthesizing orchestral instrument sounds. Well I soon realised it was extremely difficult to synthesize authentic-sounding orchestral instruments, and was glad to see that the digital-sampling technique was far superior for orchestral music production. But then I became very busy with the stimulating challenges of high-end military work, and my ideas for music production lay dormant for years.

So anyway, Logic's Environment has been my main place of work ever since I first met it 21 years ago.

Perhaps I didn't clearly explain my own current situation with Logic. I have no problems working in High Sierra with VEPro AU3 7.0.1056 and Logic 10.4.8, using my AU3 multiport template. I shall continue with this configuration for as long as possible, hoping that Apple will eventually fix the new problems in Logic 10.7. But I also have a Big Sur boot volume in which I keep an eye on the state of affairs with later Logic and VEPro versions (though of course I won't know about Apple M1 operation until I buy M1 hardware).

I'm sure other Logic users who don't have the convenience of working with an older Logic in an older macOS may want to know about your VEPro AU2 multiport workaround, Cyril. Perhaps you will post something about it here? (Toutefois, Je suis certainement d'accord pour dire que la perspective d'une arriviste déclenché, jetant sa merde tout atour en conséquence, est désagréable pour vous et moi. Lol.)

• I have no idea what you mean when you say "why don't you want to use the Object Monitor". Would you please explain, Cyril.

• last edited
    last edited

Read my previous mail

@Macker said:

I have no idea what you mean when you say "why don't you want to use the Object Monitor". Would you please explain, Cyril.

• Ah damn ... sorry, somehow I missed that 2nd post of yours.

And no, inserting a monitor object in the VSL 1x16 ports AU2 template made no difference that I can see.

I need to know what versions of Logic, VEPro, macOS and Mac computer you're using in your testing.

In my test on your AU2 monitor object idea I used Logic 10.7.2 and VEPro 7.0.1056 (local host) in macOS 11.6.3. I'm running a 2017 iMac 27", 4.2GHz i7 7700K, 64GB DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8GB.

I have previously tried the Beta VEPro 7.0.1151 (several days before you mentioned your Monitor idea) but it made no difference so I uninstalled it and went back to 1056.

In the test I've just done on your idea I played back a few notes created by the MIDI region editor. I haven't run my usual full suite of tests for MIDI response. Finding that playing back editor-created notes is still problematic was all I needed to know in this particular case.

I'm not stuck. I have a fully operational AU3 template using Logic 10.4.8 and VEpro 7.0.1056 in High Sierra. For my normal everyday work I'm not looking to change this configuration in the forseeable future; however, for special purposes I can dual-boot between High Sierra and Big Sur.

• last edited
    last edited

@Macker said:

And no, inserting a monitor object in the VSL 1x16 ports AU2 template made no difference that I can see.

if you play one note, can you post a screen copy of the window of the Monitor Object

• I will happily provide a screenshot after you've told me more about your setup, just to be sure we're both on the same page - or at least as near as doesn't matter.

Specifically, on which of your 2 computers, and with exactly what versions of Logic and macOS, did you make your observations regarding the insertion of a Monitor object? Also, have you tried playing back notes created by the MIDI Region Editor, when using your Monitor object idea; and if so, what was the result?

• last edited
    last edited

You are a nonsense !

Or do you have Alzheimer ?

Monitoring the trafic on  the VSL object is the solution to narrow down the problem

What is the relation with my setup, it's environnement programming !

It looks like you do not want to be help !

Too bad !

bye bye

@Macker said:

I will happily provide a screenshot after you've told me more about your setup, just to be sure we're both on the same page - or at least as near as doesn't matter.

Specifically, on which of your 2 computers, and with exactly what versions of Logic and macOS, did you make your observations regarding the insertion of a Monitor object? Also, have you tried playing back notes created by the MIDI Region Editor, when using your Monitor object idea; and if so, what was the result?

• Fascinating, Cyril.

So the performance of Logic's Environment is completely independent of any design and build of Logic; any design and build of the host computer hardware; and any design and build of the host's operating system?

In other words, Logic's Environment is some sort of ... erm ... transcendental thing?

Truly fascinating.

Ahem. Meanwhile, I'll just carry on in my mundane world with actual software and hardware. And since Cyril asked me so nicely, I've attached below a screenshot. The inserted Monitor object is displaying spurious Note Off events after a single C4 1/16th note - created in Logic's MIDI region editor - is played back through Port 5 of a copy of VSL's 1x16 Ports VEPro/AUv2 template.

I'll spare readers the tedium of me posting other, more elaborate test results I've obtained. For those I've connected this VSL template (with and without Cyril's Monitor insertion) to an External Instrument plugin routed to an external IAC Bus monitor. Suffice to say the Environment in Logic 10.7+ seems to have adopted a ... uh .... 'new and different' way of performing transcendentally! Lol. Seriously though, it gets quite spectacular over time when several different notes are played back.

Given the nature of this egregiously aberrant behaviour in Logic 10.7+, I seriously doubt there's any chance of a user-level workaround in the Environment for this problem. In my book it's definitely a dev job for Apple. Until then, alas, it appears there is no way of using Logic 10.7+ properly with either the AU2 or AU3 version of VEP7.

Moreover, although I haven't yet had time to characterise it more definitely, there is strange behaviour in the Environment of Logic 10.6+, as I've already noted in a post above. As far as I've seen, this particular strange behaviour is not present in 10.7+. So for now I won't recommend 10.6+ for users of the Environment.  I can recommend 10.4.8; it works fine with my AU3 template along with the very large and complex design that I have in my Environment.