Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,524 users have contributed to 42,236 threads and 254,836 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Wasn't the bloke who played the VSL trumpet samples this Marsalis?

• Sorry, I tend to get carried away. Probably should be literally carried away. By the funny little men in the white suits.

• Schnaps, das war sein letztes Wort
    Dann trugen ihn die Englein fort
    Schnaps, das war sein letztes Wort

Und so kam er in den Himmel
    Und man hat ihm nichts serviert
    Gegen diese Art Behandlung hat der Lümmel protestiert

Und so kam er in die Hölle
    Und sein Durst der warst zur Qual
    Aber ausser heissem Schwefel gab es nichts in dem Lokal

Und so irrt er durch das Weltall
    Voller Tränen im Gesicht
    Denn da wimmelt's von Raketen, aber Kneipen gibt es nicht

KURZE PAUSE____________________________________

Es gibt kein Bier auf Hawaii, es gibt kein Bier,
    drum fahr ich nicht nach Hawaii, drum bleib ich hier.
    Es ist so heiß auf Hawai, kein kühler Fleck,
    und nur vom Hula-Hula geht der Durst nicht weg.

Meine Braut, die heißt Marianne,
    wir sind seit 12 Jahren verlobt,
    sie hätt'mich so gern zum Manne,
    und hat schon mit Klage gedroht.
    Die Hochzeit wär längst schon gewesen,
    wenn die Hochzeitsreise nicht wär,
    denn sie will nach Hawaii,
    ja, sie will nach Hawai,
    und das fällt mir so unsagbar schwer.

und nur vom Hula-Hula geht der Durst nicht weg.

Wenn sie mit nach Pilsen führe,
    ja, dann wären wir längst schon ein Paar,
    doch all meine Bitten und Schwüre
    verschmähte sie Jahr um Jahr.
    Sie singt Tag und Nacht neue Lieder,
    von den Palmen am blauen Meer,
    denn sie will nach Hawaii,
    ja, sie will nach Hawaii,
    und das fällt mir so unsagbar schwer.

und nur vom Hula-Hula geht der Durst nicht weg

• [8-)]

[[;)]]

• the only thing i'm missing, differing from your usual precision, is the author [:P] but thanks for letting me know what people _should_ sing when intonating this songs [;)]
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Oh, sorry....

Schnaps, das war sein letztes Wort (Willy Millowitsch)

Es gibt kein Bier auf Hawaii (Paulchen Kuhn)

• christian,

Something's wrong, I think I'm getting the forum in german and I didn't even click to have it in german...

[[;)]]

• Speaking respectfully and without obscenity (I'm trying so hard to be good!!! [:D] Though it is so difficult ... [:'(]

but as Herbert Lom in the later Pink Panthers put it as he smiled within the asylum and his eye began to twitch - "every day, in every way, I'm getting better") ---

concerning The Sixth Sense, the music score was excellent, but I am beginning to wonder if director Shyamalan is a One-Hit Wonder. That film was an excellent ghost story that had a very positive effect upon current cinema in general (witness all the subtle ghost stories that appeared after it), but his other films all seem to be somewhat lacking, and his reliance upon "twists" is getting to be desperate. I personally found "The Village" to be incredibly disappointing. It started out creating an alternate universe that was fascinating, and then simply played a shallow trick upon the audience. Very dishonest storytelling.

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

christian,

Something's wrong, I think I'm getting the forum in german and I didn't even click to have it in german...

[[;)]]

Well Guy,

click on italian, or as my father used to say "God speaks italian, and german only when he gives orders"

[:)]

• This is part of the problem with being a filmmaker/composer as opposed to just composer... (though that also is a great thing to be as old Ludwig von B. proved) Half of what you say about the one will be ignored by the others. Or something like that...

You are not supposed to be such a combo - like a Lovecraftian beast - as only Mathis and Herb here know personally - as far as I have discovered... John Carpenter is another. Charlie Chaplin (with apologies to David Raksin as Dave C pointed out) is another. Ha-ha! Good company. I feel better already.

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

christian,

[[;)]]

Well Guy,

click on italian, or as my father used to say "God speaks italian, and german only when he gives orders"

[:)]

...and God sings "Mexican Hat Dance" when he was in a fiesta mood?

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

concerning The Sixth Sense, the music score was excellent, but I am beginning to wonder if director Shyamalan is a One-Hit Wonder. That film was an excellent ghost story that had a very positive effect upon current cinema in general (witness all the subtle ghost stories that appeared after it), but his other films all seem to be somewhat lacking, and his reliance upon "twists" is getting to be desperate. I personally found "The Village" to be incredibly disappointing. It started out creating an alternate universe that was fascinating, and then simply played a shallow trick upon the audience. Very dishonest storytelling.

I fully agree.

I don't get your other post.

• I am aware that this thread has gone into another direction since I was first wondering about the Sixth Sense, but indeed Mathis has pointed my in the right direction with Penderecki.

I have now revisitied a few of his scores (certainly not available in any local library though) and surpisingly I could find almost all my favourite (atonal) passages from 6th Sense again in the 60s Penderecki scores. (Sometimes they are worryingly similar). Of course the tonal part of that score (as William descibed) has a great sound too, but is also easier to analyze by ear.

Whether they are New Music clichés or not I wouldn't really now but in terms of film music there are certainly other cliches that are far more overused.

Dom

• I guess you are refering to Penderecki's "Threnos"

• Yes the Threnody, but also De Natura Sonoris I+II, Capriccio for Violin and Orchestra, and the Lukas Passion.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dom said:

surpisingly I could find almost all my favourite (atonal) passages from 6th Sense again in the 60s Penderecki scores. (Sometimes they are worryingly similar).

[:D] [[;)]]

• Hmm... I wouldn't know, since I am not a Penderecki fan (not being a masochist) however that sounds rather disgusting. A bit like James Horner and his depradations among the concert composers of all eras...

• Well, as I said, these are chlichées. Could well be that Penderecki once had invented some of these sounds, but they're all over the place in New Music.
    Using that is not any more of a rip-off than using shifting minor chords.
    Die-Hard New Music people would strongly disagree, of course.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

Speaking respectfully and without obscenity (I'm trying so hard to be good!!! [:D] Though it is so difficult ... [:'(]

but as Herbert Lom in the later Pink Panthers put it as he smiled within the asylum and his eye began to twitch - "every day, in every way, I'm getting better") ---

As my fellow warrior, 'William the Discerning', takes a brief rest, laying his axe and sword down for a respite, i shall take up my trusty halberk in his place, and say that The village was one of the most lame,uninsipring, stuttering, and awful movies i've ever seen. An interesting concept bereft of any ability to affect anyone. (IMHO) The twist, as my erstwhile colleague, friend, and advocate of death to mediocrity put it, was almost completely destroyed by poor imagery and dreadful directorial fumbling. What a pile of rubbish that was. They would have done better to put a pile of Amish types in sunflower frocks and raise questions about the sexual and social ambiguity of driving a horse and cart in drag down the busy I98 truck route. 'The Village'? They should have called it 'The Garage'.

The sixth sense was passable, and although it had several places where scenes clunked from one moment to another, at least there was some sort of plot hidden in a potentially fruitful concept. The music was good, and 'saved' the film in several places, papering over the visual cracks in the imagery that appeared from time to time.

And William's veiled and intelligent prod in the direction of Horner, with his dubious aspirations of originality, certainly strike a chord here too........

Regards,

'Alexander the Irascible.'