Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,355 users have contributed to 42,293 threads and 255,055 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• To bad it was'nt the same issue.
    What Mobo and Bios do you use for your main daw?

• Hey Sapkiller - you put me down the RIGHT path on this. In my BIOS - Advance/chipset I had an option 'Hyper Path 3'. It was on 'auto' and I put that to 'enabled' and now can load 2.8 mb of samples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All seems stable.

It was a wild quess but it work out. Thanks so much for your help and hints.

Hope this helps someone else out. Having these five PCs (loaded with 2.8 mb of VI samples has MADE the difference in turning around work as fast as most the Directors I work with.)

On this fast project I just finished, there was a major edit - after LOCK that I had to rescore. I had the Director in my studio looking over my shoulder (that is how tight the schedule was). Fortunately I had the right template (with enough sonic options) and we knocked it out fast.

Thanks Mattias to you as well for getting all this started.

Rob

• Great to hear it worked out for you as well [:D]

• Ah, great to see you're making progress guys! [:)] I've been totally, and I mean totally, soaked up in work and family life that I haven't even been able to stay current with what's going on over here for a month or so now. BIOS switches similar to the ones you've found is obviously something to look out for...

/Mattias

• last edited
    last edited

@Mattias Henningson said:

Ah, great to see you're making progress guys! [:)] I've been totally, and I mean totally, soaked up in work and family life that I haven't even been able to stay current with what's going on over here for a month or so now. BIOS switches similar to the ones you've found is obviously something to look out for...

/Mattias

Thanks Mattias - no problem - it is really grand to have these machines all on 3 gb switches!!!!!!!!!

• Hello, I began using the VI and found this board. I have 4 GB in my PC and am using forte as my host. It would see 2.7 GB of free ram, but after I loaded a few instances (3) it would crash, so I followed the instructions on the thread to enable the 3 GB switch. Windows started like a new install and said I didn't have liscences for any of my VSTs and then forte wouldn't start.

So, took out the 3gb option and went as before. Now Forte will open, but when i try to load a VI, it just crashes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and hopefully as I figure these out, I can return the favor.

Many thanks,

Chris Lennertz

• Hi Chris
    I have no knowledge or experience with Forte, but did you use Mathias's Laatido program to enable large address awareness on Forte?
    Not all programs can be enabled this way and it can get tricky when
    you try to do it on programs not suited for LAA.

• We have a windows xp sp2 desktop with the latest version of Forte and 4 Gigs of RAM

Audio interface is the Tascam Firewire 1884

Main plugin we are using in Forte is the new Vienna Instruments

Forte says it sees 3 Gigs of RAM available (the actual amount XP sees is 3.62 Gigs)

CONSISTENTLY Forte will completely crash and altogether quit whenever the amount of samples loaded exceeds 1 gig of RAM

It is completely repeatable every time. Can anybody help with this?

We followed the instructions exactly for using the 3GB switch so windows can let other programs use more RAM, and afterward cannot fully boot windows when selecting that 3GB upon startup.

Here is the error we get:

Windows can not create a temporary profile directory. This may be caused by insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator. Detail - insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Then you hit OK and it then says:

Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. Detail - insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

And after that you can see the user but if you try to select it to log in, it brings you right back to the error message.

So that you guys know, the motherboard we are using in this machine is the ASUS P4C-800E Deluxe.

This morning we updated the BIOS to the most recent version before attempting the 3GB switch.

Still no luck.

Can anyone help?

• Hi
    here's some suggestions for you to check out.

Did you follow the pc optimization guide for DAWs - and most importantly did you turn of fast user switching? ( Control panel -> user accounts -> change the way users log on and off )

Maybe Forte is unable to be Large Address Aware, in which case running the LAA program to change the Forte configuration will mess it up.
    In that case I think you should "de-LAA" Forte.

• Hmmm...

It says that it is LAA, but...if anyone knows otherwise, please let me know. It still crashes.

Thanks,

CL

• Have you done any memory tweaks like those recommended to run GigaStudio, for example? If so, remove them and go back to Windows default.

I think that Forte is a red herring in your case. If the /3gig switch is not working, then that is the first thing you need to fix. I also wonder whether you are logging in as the Administrator in your system. You need to do this otherwise certain things will not be allowed by Windows.

Are you running sp2? All my machines that have the switch installed are running sp2, and the enabling took less than 30 seconds on each.

DG

• Mattias,
    The link to your app is down. Anyway to still get the app?
    Thanks

• Just to confirm, I need to add the 3GB switch tot he boot loader and tweak the Sonar PDR.exe fiel as well before large address awareness will apply. Correct? I'm not as smart as you guys so excuse the dumb question.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    PS. Any idea if Sonar 6 is LA capable?
    K.

• Hi Keyjazz
    yes - put in the 3gb switch in the boot file and run Mathias' utility on the Sonar exe file following the instructions in this thread - and you should be ready to go.
    Sonar is LAA capable ( use Sonar 6 myself ) [:D]

Beware that some of us has had some problems getting this working
    ( Bios trouble and more...). Read the postings in this thread if it does'nt work right away. You should be able to load approx. 2.7 Gb.

• I assume that if I have my VIs on a computer other than that where Sonar is located that I would only have to put the 3GB switch on that second computer and make sure that the VST host I used, FX Teleport, Forte, whatever, was LAA. I shouldn't have to mess with Sonar or the 3GB switch on the Sonar computer because Sonar would only be receiving MIDI and audio and not loading samples. Is this correct?
    Also I guess that Sonar 6 does not come LAA but you can tweak it okay. Right?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

• Anyone know where to get Mattias app? The link to his app is dead.
    Thanks

• Anyone?

• Hi guys, sorry for my absence in this thread... I've had too many things on my hands lately to be able to monitor any forums whatsoever.

Kevin, the answer to both of your questions are...yes! [:)]

Tripit, sorry, I failed to include the file when updating the site...it's up there again now.

/Mattias

• I am using plogue bidule as a host. Is it LAA capable?

So far I can load about 1.9GB on the PC (with 3GB RAM) and the 3GB switch. I am currently using GVI (rather than VI).

Also, Matthias, you referred to the PC optimisation guide - where can I find it?

How can I get access to those memory options in the BIOS? Is it safe to change parameters there without being a PC expert?

Should I install another 1GB RAM in order to get to load 2.8GB?

Dom

• last edited
    last edited

@Dom said:

I am using plogue bidule as a host. Is it LAA capable?

So far I can load about 1.9GB on the PC (with 3GB RAM) and the 3GB switch. I am currently using GVI (rather than VI).

Also, Matthias, you referred to the PC optimisation guide - where can I find it?

How can I get access to those memory options in the BIOS? Is it safe to change parameters there without being a PC expert?

Should I install another 1GB RAM in order to get to load 2.8GB?

Dom

Dom, I can get about 2.6-2.7Gb with 3GB RAM installed. If you have the LTD app then this will tell you whether or not your host is LAA. If you can't get hold of this, then email me and I'll send you a copy (although it might be an early one).

You also say that you're using GVI. If you are loading all those samples within one instance, then GVI will also have to be LAA for you to get more.

DG