Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,858 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,940 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Adding another plea for an M1-compatible VEP plugin, above all else.  It really doesn't matter what new libraries come out if we can't access them with VEPro. 

Now that the iLok transition is done, and we all spent hours reinstalling VSL libraries to accommodate VSL's change, please give us customers something in return- access to them through VEPro on M1 Macs.  PCs run all of my libraries in VEPro, and will for years to come.  The server can wait.  The plugin is long overdue. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Macker said:

"Are we nearly there yet Daddy?"

Lolol.

"I told you we are going far, far, faaar-away, son."

πŸ˜‰

• last edited
    last edited

@Macker said:

"Are we nearly there yet Daddy?"

Lolol.

c

"We should always remember that sensitiveness and emotion constitute the real content of a work of art."
    ~ Maurice Ravel

I've always found it amusing how people who project this image of "sensitiveness" often fall short of that supposed ideal. Your quote states something different than your post. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Michael Canavan said:

I've always found it amusing how people who project this image of "sensitiveness" often fall short of that supposed ideal. Your quote states something different than your post. 

Yeah, but when will can expect a VST3/M1 native version?

• Hi, 

It's high on our list, but I can't give you an ETA - it usually only causes disappointment when things don't go as planned. 

But rest assured that we're on it!

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Really appreciate the reply - I love my M1 mac and like others very eager for a compatible update (so I can tap back into my PC-hosted samples in particular)...hearing that it is at least a priority is a relief.  

• Thanks for the response. Even periodic no-update updates reiterating that M1 compatibility is a priority for VSL are reassuring.  

• Is VEPro MAS for Digital Performer not currently working with M1 Macs?

I can't seem to find information about this anywhere.

• DP needs to run in Rosetta mode to work with VEP currently. The MAS VEP plugin doesn't work if DP is running natively. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Dan Wool said:

DP needs to run in Rosetta mode to work with VEP currently. The MAS VEP plugin doesn't work if DP is running natively. 

Thanks Dan, much appreciated. πŸ‘

• Looks like a new iLok only update, and no Apple Silicon support.. What a complete mess this is, VSL could have taken the time to do this and had new customer based on compatibility and usefulness when porting to the new format, but that’s long gone now.. Ugh, I often wonder how companies stay in business with these sorts of decisions?

•   OK so my last post seems a bit harsh, but let's look at one simple obviously not scientific but glaring example of why thinking that Apple Silicon support is a low priority is a blatantly bad business move. This thread has 13,903 views, look at the other threads here and tell me this isn't an important topic? There was a comment from a VSL employee here in the forums on the thread on the iLok transfer stating that there weren't that many users using M1 Macs, wonder why this is a hot topic then right? 

• I'll throw in a quick comment on this:

Yes, I think the native Apple Silicon version of VE Pro is very overdue. And reading through this thread it sounds like a few people are a bit more unlucky than I am as I can still get VE Pro to work in Logic (even without using the Rosetta version). Because it's working, I have not upgraded VE Pro to the latest versions (the iLok ones). That said, performance is hit and miss with CPU spikes here and there and I have to restart my PC server and Logic occasionally for glitches. I am hopeful the native version will fix these issues.

I still love VE Pro and my friends in Vienna so I know they are working on it and I'll be very relieved when they finally release it. Software development is no easy task and I know this silicon switch has been difficult for several other companies.

I, do however, think it is also fair for customers to share their frustrations and this thread has obviously gotten a lot of attention so I hope the company takes these comments/attention into consideration for future development decisions.

• last edited
    last edited

@noxtenebrae17 said:

And reading through this thread it sounds like a few people are a bit more unlucky than I am as I can still get VE Pro to work in Logic (even without using the Rosetta version).

It's not luck, Audio Units are the only plug in format that can run in a native DAW in Rosetta, and they likely tested this with Logic in house. Using AU's in Rosetta while Logic runs in native Apple Silicon is literally the best case scenario right now. 

Digital Performer and Cubase offer arguably better solutions than AU with VST3 and MAS, which can only run if the DAW itself is in Rosetta, which compounds the CPU hit that Rosetta brings. Plus again, if VSL had been an early adopter I'm certain they would have had a nice spike in sales, since most people do keep an old x86 Mac around to run plug ins that are not ready even for Rosetta or will never run natively. IMO it was a missed opportunity. 

• I'm working with VSL in Nuendo and Dorico. I needed a computer replacement and upgraded to an M1 Mac Studio (20-core CPU and 128GB memory - so as grunt as you can get). I've had to stop using VSL for my large orchestral project because running Nuendo or Dorico in Rosetta mode isn't functional - there is too much processing overhead. I've temporarily swapped to using Spitfire's BBC SO to make do while I'm waiting for the VSL native release. I'm sure many other users have had to purchase new M1 machines, and Apple is converting its whole product line across. Having to make workarounds for an extended period isn't ideal. I'm hoping we are going to see a release ASAP. Lots of professional users don't use Logic.

• I am considering moving my sample hosting to Cantabile for this reason.  I already have a 128G server at the studio with Cantabile hosting, and it works extremely well - quite possibly lower cpu usage than VEPro.   I/O is limited to hardware, but I've done this with another sample server for years.  It may take a while for a stable version even after an M1 native release.  I could be wrong, but it really is impossible to wait this out and let the M1s sit idle.   Thing is, once I make the move, I won't likely revert back to VEPro anytime soon.  

• I agree that the speed with which the VSL software is adapted to M1 is disappointing however they are certainly not the only company having problems getting their software adapted. Apart from Kontakt all Native Instruments soft and Hardware still needs Rosetta.

Do you really have such big issues using Rosetta with Dorico?  I am running a Dorico 4 project using Rosetta with 70 instruments in the VST rack, 49 VSL Synchron and the rest BBCSO and a few Kontakt Percussion instruments. It takes bit of time till the project is playable but I have no big issues when it is ready to play. Sometimes  a few clicks when 2 or more instruments are played at the same note for the first time in a session (a CPU peak). You also see it very well in the Logic CPU monitor. When you play it a second time there is no peak nor clicks.

Before my M1Max I had to use VEPPro for this size of project as I had only 16 GB on my Intel MBP but with the new M1Max and 64 GB this is not needed. 

I did test VEPPro with a similar size template but only with Logic (so no Rosetta needed). The main reason at the time was that the Synchron player did not work directly in Logic whereas it did work when accessed through VEPPro. Now the Synchron Player works directly in Logic. 

• Any news? M1 support

• last edited
    last edited

@Davka said:

Any news? M1 support

I am waiting eagerly myself. I hope they start with the ones that are still waiting for iLok support (like Vienna Imperial)

Happy to hear some news 😊

• last edited
    last edited

@Davka said:

Any news? M1 support

It is taking a very long time... Digital Performer 11 (Universal) was released over a year ago but I can't use it because VEPro 7 MAS is unusable with Rosetta 2 and DP11. So I'm stuck with Digital Performer 10 under Rosetta 2, which only just works and crashes a few times each day.