Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,311 users have contributed to 42,655 threads and 256,750 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@rockdude9k said:

I check this page at least once a week.  I always thought VSL was one of the better tech companies, not so much any more.  I would have been so happy if they rolled it out in phases, all I need is the VST plugin to be native.  I, like many other people, host all the samples on a PC.  So I only need the bridge to be native.  Then of course they could have rolled out the host software later.

That seems like such a simple concept, but here we are...still waiting...

To their credit, on top of VST3, GUIs for modern times, and Apple Silicon.... VSL also recently had to switch from eLicenser to iLok. They IMO shot themselves in the foot inadvertently by not doing VST3 earlier, at least one port would be out of the way. 

the main WTF? moment though is as you state, them not porting the plug in over ASAP. This is IMO a huge financial loss to them since people would have bought the software just to use depreciated or incompatible VSTs on a server machine while running the VEP AU, MAS or VST3 plug in, in their DAW. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

For me VEP doesn't inspire much confidence lately. After the switch to iLok I keep seeing a lot of new issues - on top of the long-standing problems of VEP7 - on this forum and elsewhere.

I'm disappointed because VEP is a mission critical software for a lot of professionals. This should be the biggest focus of VSL.

Another unfortunate thing that didn't help is that the "big guys" already have 2019 Mac Pros so the pressure isn't as strong. If Apple had moved to AS without releasing the 2019 MP the story would be a lot different with much more complaints and drama.

Mostly VEP can't be beat for big projects, I'm betting in the larger setups even the fastest computers out there benefit from taking out hosting tasks from the DAW. 

• Still checking every morning... Any news? It has been already 2 years 2months since first M1.

• I finally decided to upgrade my 2009 Mac Pro last summer. I'm not an early adopter (although I did buy the Symphonic Cube when it came out!) so I thought a couple years should be enough for all my plug-ins and VI developers to catch up so I leisurely migrated my rig to a MAC Studio. I upgraded from VEP5 to 7 only to realize now that it still doesn't support M1! I was shocked to learn that, last thing I was expecting. Should be coming out any time now...

• It certainly has the feel of abandonware at this point. Their strategy of just saying “we aren’t going to give a timeline to avoid disappointment” is just crazy - this is professional software. Even a rough quarter timeline - or a “won’t be this year” so people can plan hardware purchases
it’s just nuts. Tiny companies like audioease which aren’t likely to ever get there, I understand, but apple silicon isn’t going anywhere. My assumption at this point is that it’s basically a from scratch rewrite due to the codebase and they’re just stalling and it may never happen, which is an awful thing to assume but when there’s only endless “can’t say when” answers, hard to know what else to do. I hope that isn’t true. A setup with multiple mac studios would be so elegant.

• It is late January 2023. No VST3 support, no Apple Silicon support (not even the plugins). I really don't know what to say...

• Yeah. One wants to believe. I'd be happy to pay quite a bit for the upgrade.

But it's starting to seem like there's actually a reason it might be impossible, or something, due to the changes in the way the memory works perhaps, or something similar. I guess perhaps it's also about updating everything - synchron player too, and MIR. And making the change to the sampler might be non-trivial. 

But over 2 years later, it's starting to seem like the community and customers deserve at least a timeline. I know they don't want to give a date. But a 'we will be able to do this' and a rough guesstimate of a quarter or even a year in which they might achieve it would go such a long way to helping those with large studios decide what hardware to even purchase.

•   So in the last page directly above the people complaining there's been no indication of a timeline, there's a link to a guy who works for VSL saying that VEP Apple Silicon native is in beta. You can't ask for more than that really. We can guess it's anywhere from one to nine months away at this point, depending on whether they find a major bug in the beta or not. Hopefully that includes VST3 support since if someone wants to host a server on Apple Silicon Kontakt instruments aren't going to play nice outside of AU. 

• To be honest, I just hope that the plugins can be Apple Silicon native, so that I can finally stop running Cubase in Rosetta mode and take full advantage of the powerful Mac Studio. The server software itself can stay as it is, since most people I know run their sample rigs on Intel-based machines (Windows or Mac). One can dream...

I have no doubt that people at VSL are working hard on it. But I hope that they also understand why their customers are frustrated and disappointed after such a long wait. Many pros have spent a lot of money on the Mac Studios (or even the new MacBook Pros), yet we have to keep running our DAWs in Rosetta because of VE Pro.

• I believe it genuinely is incoming - or at least VST3 support within VEPro as Paul on this thread suggests...

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t59610-Kontakt-6-and-7

• VST3 support is here. It really feels like Christmas morning here. I truly hope that it means Apple Silicon support is coming in the near future.

• Has anyone tried running VEPRO as AU inside the Bluecat's Patchwork wrapper?  MIR3D works well here in Cubase 12 / Silicon mode that way.

• last edited
    last edited

@Watercolor Music said:

VST3 support is here. It really feels like Christmas morning here. I truly hope that it means Apple Silicon support is coming in the near future.

Not seeing this anywhere. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Watercolor Music said:

VST3 support is here. It really feels like Christmas morning here. I truly hope that it means Apple Silicon support is coming in the near future.
    Not seeing this anywhere. If you mean confirmation of VST3 support, it’s here: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/m314608findlastpost-NEW-in-2023--VST3-Plug-in-Support-in-VE-Pro-7#post314608

• last edited
    last edited

@Watercolor Music said:

Not seeing this anywhere. If you mean confirmation of VST3 support, it’s here: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/m314608findlastpost-NEW-in-2023--VST3-Plug-in-Support-in-VE-Pro-7#post314608

Thanks Dan, that's great! Supposedly VST3 is better at releasing CPU back to the host so over the years here it should be a better choice for plug ins in VEP servers. Plus it means VSL are done mucking with it and can get busy on putting the Apple Silicon beta through it's paces. My and I imagine your big fear, is they do not port the MAS version, so I wait with baited breath. 

• last edited
    last edited

I think I'm ready to spend all my money on a maxed out M2Max MBPro 16", maybe in a month or so. Which means I'll be checking in here quite a bit also đŸ˜ƒ And yes, begging for a MAS version đŸ˜ That laptop and my current iMac Pro as a slave should be all I need forever and ever đŸ˜Ž . Ok, maybe I'll wait til March to check back in here. đŸ˜Š

• It's my understanding that the reason VEPro works is low-level code, directly addressing hardware - which when it was originally written was Intel.  Now that Apple Silicon is here, and it's a completely different hardware platform and architecture, it's got to be like writing the whole thing from zero.  Maybe the M-series CPU's don't deal with these direct calls as well.  That's all beyond me.  But I think of this like a team of developers writing an entirely new app that has the goal of enterprise-level reliability and the greatest efficiency and speed possible.  How long would one say that should take?  Especially if they have other things that people are clamoring for.

Some folks are acting like the folks at Vienna don't care about users' feelings about this.  Of course they do.  But they can't do anything about those big feelings except put out the best product they can, and for our part we can maybe not act like our feelings trump reality.

• last edited
    last edited

@dragsquares said:

It's my understanding that the reason VEPro works is low-level code, directly addressing hardware - which when it was originally written was Intel.  Now that Apple Silicon is here, and it's a completely different hardware platform and architecture, it's got to be like writing the whole thing from zero.  Maybe the M-series CPU's don't deal with these direct calls as well.  That's all beyond me.  But I think of this like a team of developers writing an entirely new app that has the goal of enterprise-level reliability and the greatest efficiency and speed possible.  How long would one say that should take?  Especially if they have other things that people are clamoring for.

Some folks are acting like the folks at Vienna don't care about users' feelings about this.  Of course they do.  But they can't do anything about those big feelings except put out the best product they can, and for our part we can maybe not act like our feelings trump reality.

The problem here is conjecture. You're just as guilty of it as anyone who thinks that VSL don't have good reasons to have put Apple Silicon first in terms of support. You do not know why and neither do we.

One thing, IMO it's a travesty and poor business move that they did not release Apple silicon native versions of the VST, MAS, and AU VEP plug in at the least. This wouldn't require low level code etc. and would make it possible for Cubase users to actually use their DAW along with an Intel PC or Mac server, or even VEP in Rosetta using the native VST in Cubase. I can't think of a rational excuse this didn't happen. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Michael Canavan said:

One thing, IMO it's a travesty and poor business move that they did not release Apple silicon native versions of the VST, MAS, and AU VEP plug in at the least. This wouldn't require low level code etc. and would make it possible for Cubase users to actually use their DAW along with an Intel PC or Mac server, or even VEP in Rosetta using the native VST in Cubase. I can't think of a rational excuse this didn't happen. 

I agree, I just need the bridge plug-in.  Nothing else.  VSL can take all the time they want to make the server application M1 Native as far as I'm concerned.  Although, I understand other people need that more than I do.  But I feel like people would be more forgiving if they released the bridge plugin and then said, okay it's gonna be another 6 months for us to re-code the server application.  At least then, we would have a work around.

• hi all,

as much as i would like to get more libs, i will not do so till M1 support is working with VSL.

This must be the last, and most expensive app i have, which has not made the transition yet.

i find myself spending a lot of time on the spitfire site...