Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,720 users have contributed to 42,409 threads and 255,580 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 7 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@HSM1 said:

Actually, I do use other libraries such as Berlin Strings, Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings/Symphonic Strings and only reason I ever used anyone else was too much better legato script, short note attacks and huge detail sampled short/long articulations, etc. You didn't just take user feedback seriously.

Have you made decision yet on any usefull articulations as bellow ?

Legato Slurred, Expressive
    Legato Agile
    Legato Fingered
    Ostinato Arpeggio Legato slow/fast

Spiccatissimo
    Spiccato
    Spiccato Exposed
    Staccato
    Staccato Bold
    Martele FFF
    Portato Short
    Portato Long
    Repetitions slow/fast
    Blurred Spiccato
    Blurred Staccato
    Blurred Portato

Flageolet Sustain
    Sustain Soft
    Sustain Immediate
    Sustain Accented
    Sustain Expressive Dyn (Short expr.)
    Sustain Expressive Dyn (Long expr.)

Sul Ponticello Leg
    Sul Ponticello Tremolo
    Sul Ponticello Tremolo Accented
    Sul Ponticello Staccato
    Sul Ponticello Sustain
    Sul Tasto Legato
    Sul Tasto Portato Short
    Sul Tasto Portato Long
    Sul Tasto Sustain Immediate
    Sul Tasto Sustain Soft
    Sul Tasto Tremolo

Just wait for Synchron-Strings II to have most of the Articulations covered. Synchron-Strings I is of course the basic set.

However it even seems to me that each of the Articulations in Synchron-Strings I has much more "under the hood" that the simple "list" of single artticulations is no longer the right reference to compare.

Hopefully in the near future 2025 or 2027, Synchron-Strings version VI probably!

• @HSM1

I think VSL has one of the best legatos out there. The "problem" is only to set up a matrix which is very time-consuming. But I like and appreciate it, and for me it has so many advantages compared to other libraries. When you buy a non-VSL library, you have a fixed articulation mapping.

I do not own any other library (apart from Composer Cloud X), but I watched many review videos only to understand how articulations in other libraries are mapped. In VI (Pro) you can do everything, you can set up your own behaviours via crossfading, speed or velocity. Endless possibilites, this is far superior to everything else in my opinion.

Orchestral Strings has, in fact, nearly all the articulations you mentioned in your post. You can "copy" each (!) while combining patches. And the best thing is probably the performance trills, so you do not need to switch to a trill articulation. I miss that in other libraries, some have very bad fast legatos as well.

I hope there will be a kind of performance trills in the Synchron Series.

• There is a new demo on Guy Bacos's website called "The Hatchling" which is written for strings. Maybe the Synchron Strings I ?

• I keep seeing posts asking about articulations that are literally already listed on the page...

Legato – regular 8 velocity layers
    Legato – slurred 8 velocity layers
    Legato – fast 8 velocity layers, 6 variations

Slurred legato is there.

Fast legato is there.

The fast legato has 6 variations - that makes it also work as a performance trill. That was the whole point of performance trills; many different legato transitions so you don't get machine gunning on trills.

• last edited
    last edited

@daviddln said:

There is a new demo on Guy Bacos's website called "The Hatchling" which is written for strings. Maybe the Synchron Strings I ?

Clever.

Now offline. 

• last edited
    last edited

@HSM1 said:

Actually, I do use other libraries such as Berlin Strings, Spitfire Audio Chamber Strings/Symphonic Strings and only reason I ever used anyone else was too much better legato script, short note attacks and huge detail sampled short/long articulations, etc. You didn't just take user feedback seriously.

Legato Agile
    Legato Fingered

Spiccatissimo
    Spiccato
    Spiccato Exposed
    Staccato
    Staccato Bold
    Martele FFF
    Portato Short
    Portato Long
    Repetitions slow/fast
    Blurred Spiccato
    Blurred Staccato
    Blurred Portato

Flageolet Sustain
    Sustain Soft
    Sustain Immediate
    Sustain Accented

Sul Ponticello Leg
    Sul Ponticello Tremolo
    Sul Ponticello Staccato
    Sul Ponticello Sustain
    Sul Tasto Legato
    Sul Tasto Portato Short
    Sul Tasto Portato Long
    Sul Tasto Sustain Soft
    Sul Tasto Tremolo

Just wait for Synchron-Strings II to have most of the Articulations covered. Synchron-Strings I is of course the basic set.

However it even seems to me that each of the Articulations in Synchron-Strings I has much more "under the hood" that the simple "list" of single artticulations is no longer the right reference to compare.

Hopefully in the near future 2025 or 2027, Synchron-Strings version VI probably!

Whoah!  I'm impressed.  This guy got a list of articulations from his "Beginning Orchestration" book. 

• last edited
    last edited

@daviddln said:

There is a new demo on Guy Bacos's website called "The Hatchling" which is written for strings. Maybe the Synchron Strings I ?

Clever.

Now offline. 

Wow, the strings sound really good. And great composition. Congratulations. I can't wait!

• last edited
    last edited

@Eptesicus said:

No one made VSL do this, other than VSL themselves.
    I apologize for repeating myself, but this is exactly the point why I don't understand all this complaining. Neither did VSL make anyone to buy anything before more things were made aware for the buying customers. Buyers themselves made their desicions. No one forced them. I don't mean to be rude, just fair.

• last edited
    last edited

@Eptesicus said:

No one made VSL do this, other than VSL themselves.
    I apologize for repeating myself, but this is exactly the point why I don't understand all this complaining.

Hello Sami,

first of all ... If you did not purchase the product in Oct or Nov, you ...

- do not have to apologize,
    - do not have to understand and
    - do at least not have to repeat

... and that is pretty good for you.

In short: VSL gave us a clear deliverymonth (November) but the product was not delivered. The delay caused confusion not only on customer-side, but as one could see it was even a problem for the retailers in dealing with the right pricing.

What should be made different for the next time? No deliverydate, no deliverymonth, but the "Dimension-way": "Pay now and we deliver the product as soon as it will be finished". That worked perfect for the DS 1-Promo and did not cause any issues for customers and retailers even for years.

The great support of this firm has to be pointed out underlined here 😊

Let us finish the topic right here!

• last edited
    last edited

@HSM1 said:

Legato Agile
    Legato Fingered

Spiccatissimo
    Spiccato
    Spiccato Exposed
    Staccato
    Staccato Bold
    Martele FFF
    Portato Short
    Portato Long
    Repetitions slow/fast
    Blurred Spiccato
    Blurred Staccato
    Blurred Portato

Flageolet Sustain
    Sustain Soft
    Sustain Immediate
    Sustain Accented

Sul Ponticello Leg
    Sul Ponticello Tremolo
    Sul Ponticello Staccato
    Sul Ponticello Sustain
    Sul Tasto Legato
    Sul Tasto Portato Short
    Sul Tasto Portato Long
    Sul Tasto Sustain Soft
    Sul Tasto Tremolo

Whoah!  I'm impressed.  This guy got a list of articulations from his "Beginning Orchestration" book. 

Senior people are not inaccessible but you still have to do the work on Orchestration's book 😊 ... It's blong to the Berlin Strings as well as Spitfire Audio Chamber/Symphonic Strings.

• last edited
    last edited

@HSM1 said:

"...only reason I ever used anyone else was too much better legato script, short note attacks and huge detail sampled short/long articulations, etc. You didn't just take user feedback seriously."

Short note attacks, more articulations, better sound... these things were what drove me to getting some of the libraries you mentioned. I've had enough experience working in software support, UI, product magement, UX, consulting, and even some development (all of which I didn't want to have to learn) that I now have an involuntary quiet chuckle when I hear "take user feedback seriously". This "not listening" thing is a disease. It spreads.

You hit a nerve. lol

As for your articulation list, I couldn't agree more. Synchron has great value without them to be sure. And who knows, we may see them in SS2. But it goes without saying that most everyone would love one library to rule them all. Consistent ensemble samples, playing techniques, and template architecture would make life a lot easier. And if I could have my samples anywhere, I'd have them in VI-Pro by a long shot. I trust Synchron Player will likely live up to the same expectations. I just hope Martin developed it. Years ago I spoke with him and the guy just gets it... completely.

-Sean

• last edited
    last edited

@SJSF said:

As for your articulation list, I couldn't agree more. Synchron has great value without them to be sure. And who knows, we may see them in SS2. But it goes without saying that most everyone would love one library to rule them all. Consistent ensemble samples, playing techniques, and template architecture would make life a lot easier. And if I could have my samples anywhere, I'd have them in VI-Pro by a long shot. I trust Synchron Player will likely live up to the same expectations. I just hope Martin developed it. Years ago I spoke with him and the guy just gets it... completely.

-Sean

You know that VSL like nearly no one else cover the muted articulations in form of mearly complete paralell articulationsets as they have done in Solostrings I+II, Chamber Strings I+II and Dimension Strings I+II.

You know that Berlin Orchestratools have no original sordinopatches at all !!! (Just to completly compare "listing") but use a very artificial sounding filter solution. And Spitfire might have one or another more or less experimental sophisticated patchname invented, but when it come to the basic bread and butter articulation (which is obviously what is all about in Synchron Strings I) there are still enough problems discussed especially when it comes to the legato scripts. I do not want to debase both Libraries which belong of course  to the better developed among Orchestra or Stringsample-libraries on the market. But I fear they still leave more than enough reason to wait for Synchronstrings in VSL Quality.

• last edited
    last edited

@fahl5 said:

And Spitfire might have one or another more or less experimental sophisticated patchname invented, but when it come to the basic bread and butter articulation (which is obviously what is all about in Synchron Strings I) there are still enough problems discussed especially when it comes to the legato scripts.

Believe me, I'm aware. I called Spitfire out on years of unmet promises for legato fixes on vi-control. I'm sure they hated me for it, but making a promise on sale day and ignoring customers for a few years... it was bound to happen from me or someone else. I know VSL isn't keen on talking about other libraries here. But I feel that just has to be said given the complaints about the Synchron delay. No offense folks (everyone), but you don't know the meaning of delay compared to some of the experiences some of us have been through with other companies. ðŸ˜‰

That said, I wouldn't dismiss other companies at bread and butter basics. The attacks and various lengths of short articulations were half of what prompted my ever looking outside VSL several years ago. The other half was never getting consistent EQ & reverb results with VSL's brass and any low or loud instruments. Where I didn't care for VSL's presets (any of them) it took me years to find a sweet spot I really love. With one resolved, getting the basics right is what I'm most careful to listen for in Synchron.

Personally, I just hope that Synchron Brass will still be like the Dimension series and be fully modular. Berlin Brass is the company to beat right now. The real question of samples these days is who sounds better and has sampled more deeply. Given the details of Synchron Strings, I'm pretty sure Orchestral Tools is about to get blown out of the water. Not that this is a war... but I like the pirate ship visual. Either way, it's well worth waiting.

Dear VSL, I check the site every day for demos... multiple times a day. You guys have turned me into a broken record. Thanks a lot! ðŸ˜¢

-Sean

• last edited
    last edited

@HSM1 said:

"...only reason I ever used anyone else was too much better legato script, short note attacks and huge detail sampled short/long articulations, etc. You didn't just take user feedback seriously."

Short note attacks, more articulations, better sound... these things were what drove me to getting some of the libraries you mentioned. I've had enough experience working in software support, UI, product magement, UX, consulting, and even some development (all of which I didn't want to have to learn) that I now have an involuntary quiet chuckle when I hear "take user feedback seriously". This "not listening" thing is a disease. It spreads.

You hit a nerve. lol

-Sean

Legato Agile
    Legato Fingered

Spiccatissimo
    Spiccato
    Spiccato Exposed
    Staccato
    Staccato Bold
    Martele FFF
    Portato Short
    Portato Long
    Repetitions slow/fast
    Blurred Spiccato
    Blurred Staccato
    Blurred Portato

Flageolet Sustain
    Sustain Soft
    Sustain Immediate
    Sustain Accented

Sul Ponticello Leg
    Sul Ponticello Tremolo
    Sul Ponticello Staccato
    Sul Ponticello Sustain
    Sul Tasto Legato
    Sul Tasto Portato Short
    Sul Tasto Portato Long
    Sul Tasto Sustain Soft
    Sul Tasto Tremolo

• I ordered my copy today. I look forward to re-recording my music!

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Flageolet Sustain

Sul Ponticello Leg
    Sul Ponticello Tremolo
    Sul Ponticello Staccato
    Sul Ponticello Sustain
    Sul Tasto Legato
    Sul Tasto Portato Short
    Sul Tasto Portato Long
    Sul Tasto Sustain Soft
    Sul Tasto Tremolo

Again more important are imho still good recorded muted patches in all types of articullations which Berlin Strings dont have at all and Spitfire only in a relative limited variety. However those articulationtypes have never been omitted in any previous VSL-libraries so I will expect them to be like muted Strings part of Synchron Strings II.

• last edited
    last edited

@HSM1 said:

Legato Agile
    Legato Fingered

Why are you repeating this ever and ever again? I can't understand the problem... I wrote in my recent post that you can actually achieve all these articulations within VI (Pro). Of course you need a lot of time to set up a matrix first and in order to "imitate" the behaviour of another library, e. g. Berlin Strings, you have to understand how their articulation mapping is set up. When understood, you can make it on your own and even make it better because in VI (Pro) you can program your own behaviours/mappings (via speed, velocity, crossfading).

There are so many articulations and patches in the VSL string libraries... you have to experiment a bit, but, as I said, the only thing is you need time to set up your matrix. That's the only "problem". Other libraries are set up for you, in VSL you have the freedom to make it your own. 😊

• last edited
    last edited

Hi everybody,

Enjoy these first demos of Synchron Strings, made by the wonderful Guy Bacos and Christof Unterberger!

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi everybody,

Enjoy these first demos of Synchron Strings, made by the wonderful Guy Bacos and Christof Unterberger!

Best, 
    Paul

Well done, very impressive! 

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi everybody,

Best, 
    Paul

nice demos - the longs are telling (I like them).   shorts are easier to get 'away with things' (albiet they are strong) but the longs are solid.   Looking forward to Paul's walkthroughs (particularily the longs/legatos.)

I really need to hear how (all by itself) 'controllable' the non to vibrato sound is.  For me the GREAT weakness of ANY sample string section is its inability to do this convincingly without artifacts/phasing.   For me if Sample strings sit for more than a brief moment without some change to vibrato (not just xfade between sampled layers BUT vibrato and I am personlly taken out of it.)

And of course - is the new player going to allow me to use this in the heat of a tight schedule?

More and more encouraged.   Congrats VSL on what should be a success.