Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,412 users have contributed to 42,226 threads and 254,785 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Let me be clear on something here, I'm not advocating a "cloud system" for VSL I'm just recognizing a trend that I see with other software companies.  However, a cloud system would create many possibilities for potential users who currently cannot afford VSL or only wish to license the products for a limited time.  This, in turn, will create many more revenue streams for VSL (or a lot of problems too). 

Personally, my only complaint with the keys is that I have to buy a new one every two years in order to keep it in warranty.  Other than that, I'm quite content with the current state of affairs.

The problem I have with the "Refresh" idea is that sometimes months go by where I don't use VSL and I don't want to be hassled by having to create new passwords every 30 days when the last time I used VSL was three months ago.

I realize that we are paying "huge" sums of money for our samples and the machines we need to run our samples but, in the end, the samples are not widgets to be bought and sold they are the intellectual property of VSL.  We are paying huge sums of money for the RIGHT to USE them. 

it appears as though there just isn't any "one size fits all" solution.  It's not that there are any improprieties on the part of VSL.  They are just protecting their intellectual property.  Just like we take steps to protect our intellectual property, our music.

• I shouldn't post anything here as I  just get irritated.  But that is a great summation of it Jasensmith. 

I wish these people would not attack VSL as it is a great company doing excellent things.  The copy protection is normal for the difficult situation of protecting samples. 

• Wow, I just got back of a weekend of gigging with my band I found a lot of replies to my thread :)

Yep, we can all agree that the dongle situation isn't the perfect solution.

Fact is, it IS the situation. I think, looking at the many threads on this subject on this forum, VSL is well aware of the problem. Let's hope they're working on a better solution.

Anyway, jasensmith, good point about the home insurance. Gotta check if it covers my USB-dongles as well. As for travelling... since I tour with a band at many times in the year I have a continuous travel insurance. Maybe that cover my USB-dongles as well (in part).

• last edited
    last edited

@Carsten Altena said:

Gotta check if it covers my USB-dongles as well. As for travelling... since I tour with a band at many times in the year I have a continuous travel insurance. Maybe that cover my USB-dongles as well (in part).

Make sure that they cover your software licenses on the key not just the key itself.  Let them know how much your licenses are worth and how much it will cost you to replace them.  And if they have a limit to their coverage[;)]

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

I shouldn't post anything here as I  just get irritated. 

Yeah I hear you William but I think this dongle debate is healthy overall for the forum because it's a wake up call for new users who don't realize that they are basically buying the right to use somebody else's property.

And usually some malcontent will chime in about how VSL is being unfair and greedy and that they should bend over backwards for this that and the other.  That annoys me because this is a public forum.

• Allright then ... I think everything is said. So, let's finish this topic.

• Not quite Moriarty!!!!

I think The Stones will have the last word!

What I really love here is the music to the pre - obligatory Youtube Ad. Action Strings and Stormdrum? Fantastic!

what's brilliant here is, combined with the background noise, I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about. Hell of an advert.

• Is it possible to somehow check how old a dongle is?

• I don't care if there is an additional  Internet solution for people that opt for it, Cloud, Hurricane or otherwise... So long as I can be completely independent from it. 

Jasen, why do you want to buy a new key every two years to keep it in warranty? Surely if the old one breaks down you ship it to VSL (or ILIO in your case) and you pay the price of a new key, right? It would be unfair and preposterous for VSL to ask for money for licences again simply for a hardware malfunction...

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

Jasen, why do you want to buy a new key every two years to keep it in warranty? Surely if the old one breaks down you ship it to VSL (or ILIO in your case) and you pay the price of a new key, right? It would be unfair and preposterous for VSL to ask for money for licences again simply for a hardware malfunction...

It doesn't matter how unfair and preposterous you find it. Jason is just telling you how it is.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Oguz Sehiralti said:

Is it possible to somehow check how old a dongle is?

Go to your User Area + Product Registration + Vienna Key Registration.

If your key was registered 1 second over two years ago then stop reading this, buy another key, register it and transfer the licenses from your old key (OK now stop reading this).

Erik,

I hear you too, man.  I guess, for whatever reason, VSL can't maintain the liability for a key over two years.  And yes I don't particularily like that aspect of it all but it is what it is.  In fact, it kind of makes me feel like a one-legged man in a ass kicking contest but if I want to play the game I have to play by their rules.

Now is VSL the one who holds the waranty on the key or is elicensor?  Maybe we're all barking up the wrong tree here[:P]

• last edited
    last edited

@Oguz Sehiralti said:

Is it possible to somehow check how old a dongle is?

Go to your User Area + Product Registration + Vienna Key Registration.

If your key was registered 1 second over two years ago then stop reading this, buy another key, register it and transfer the licenses from your old key (OK now stop reading this).

Now is VSL the one who holds the waranty on the key or is elicensor?  Maybe we're all barking up the wrong tree here

Thanks for the answer. This seems a bit unsure though, the date there shows when I registered my key to Vienna, not necessarily when I started using the key (as a product) itself. Does the warranty valid from the date I registered, or the date I purchased the key? Or rather, is VSL looking up the date in my user area when deciding the warranty? It would be cool to know this exactly and change my key every 2 years accordingly.

I am not so sure if VSL holds the warranty by the way... But that's just a guess.

• Hi Oguz, 

Your registered key is 10 years old (I have checked on the server). 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Oguz, 

Your registered key is 10 years old (I have checked on the server). 

Best, 

Paul

Hi, thank you very much for checking. I shall replace it today. 😊

• Just ordered a new one at Thomann. Don't forget to register the key at Steinberg!

Thinking of attaching some kind of a label on it saying "Dear finder/thief, please return to this address and receive a finders fee of $50,– so you can buy your own USB stick". I hope it helps just in case. [:P]

• What is exactely the 2 years solution? Is there a garantie in case the key breaks for 2 years?Are there insurance companies who insure your programms in case.If yes, do you know some? I only find on the internet how to insure  programms I wrote myself, or even how to order an emulator instead of insuring my licenses.In  the worst scenario, That I have to pay 50% again of all my software+licenses, do I have to pay at once, or  - as I don't have this amount of money lying arround - does vsl hope I won't buy instead another programm that appears on the market until I have economised that money? 

• last edited
    last edited

@Juda said:

What is exactely the 2 years solution? Is there a garantie in case the key breaks for 2 years?Are there insurance companies who insure your programms in case.If yes, do you know some? I only find on the internet how to insure  programms I wrote myself, or even how to order an emulator instead of insuring my licenses.In  the worst scenario, That I have to pay 50% again of all my software+licenses, do I have to pay at once, or  - as I don't have this amount of money lying arround - does vsl hope I won't buy instead another programm that appears on the market until I have economised that money? 

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with this but the way I understand it if your key FAILS, not breaks necessarily, and it is within the two year waranty then VSL will replace the licenses.  So if you load up your samples but an error message comes back saying something to the effect of "cannot find any licenses on the Vienna key" send the key into Vienna and they'll take a look at it. 

• Thank you for this part about the two year explication.Does somebody know any insurance company, that insures the software-licence (break-in, key broken etc.?) If you can't respond here, my mail is

maximilianewert@yahoo.fr

• It depends on your location.

In the US, I don't know of any company that will insure this particular type of software.  However, my homeowner's insurance will cover me in the event of theft, fire, or natural disaster as long as the software does not leave my house.

• You know, it's a shame it's like this. I really love VSL and their products but this is becoming a bigger problem for me now. I now have a separate studio (it used to be at home) in a differtent city, which means I have to travel (by train) with a dongle in my bag worth thousands of euro's. I live in a big city and there's always the risk of getting mugged.

I even started considering replacing some libraries with other brand libraries because of this... VSL is still the best IMHO but many are closing in. But the thought of learning to use and love yet another library... I'd rather not.