Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,389 users have contributed to 42,223 threads and 254,774 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Have now had a chance to carry out Steve's suggestion of dragging V2 cells onto the old ones in a copied instance of Solo Violin and Chamber Violins. However, I did it with the respective presets which were created for Sibelius users. What I discovered is that about a third of the new V2 patches never had V1 equivalents in these presets, so I can't load all of them. I hope this is something Vienna can look into - as would be the chance to load the full presets.

The other thing that struck me while doing this is the duplication (and more) of the same cells in the matrices. Why do they need multiple instances of pizzicato or tremolo? I can't remember why this is - and why therefore there isn't room for a greater number of articulations in the Sibelius presets.

• Hello Oceanview!

As far as I can see all Violin 2 patches have their Violin equivalents mapped in the VI presets for the Sibelius sound set "VE Strings". The only patch that is not included is trem_fA, but of course the normal trem patch is included and you could add the trem_fA patch to one of the free custom cells. Are you working with the VE Strings sound set?

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hello Andi, thanks for contributing. Actually, no, I'm not working with the Vienna Strings soundset; I'm still using Solo Strings I+II soundset and the Sibelius presets Vienna made for the Solo Strings. Does this explain the mis-match I saw?

Another point with the same set-up - I can't seem to auto-humanize those presets using VIPro 2. I can do it for the Chamber strings and the SE+ Orchestral strings. Any idea why this is? I select the solo Violin matrix and click 'auto-humanize' and nothing happens, whereas in other instruments you can see that a humanize graph has loaded.

• Hi Oceanview!

Yes, this explains the mismatch. I recommend getting the "VE Strings" sound set for the next new project you are starting.

Auto-Humanize Cells works perfectly well here for the Solo violin. I'm not sure, where that problem comes from.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks Andi. I've just come across a reference on another thread here to VIPro 2's 'auto-divisi'. What does that refer to?

• Hello Oceanview!

Auto Voicing is a function of VI Pro. It is described in detail in the VI Pro manual on page 37.
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/68/428/1908/1548.htm

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi,

Also a good idea to check out the Auto Voicing Video Tutorial and the Dimension Brass Video (Dimension Brass benefits BIG TIME from this feature).

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Okay. I've tried inserting ~B0,xx pitch bend commands into my Sibelius score to get a violin II effect (having transposed the line in Sibelius). The commands work with General MIDI sounds and Sibelius Sounds 7 but they do not work if I have VSL Solo Strings loaded as a playback configuration. The Sibelius forum people have referred me back here.

Can anyone explain how to fix this?

What settngs should I make in VIPro II to get a tone or semitone to automatically pitchbend down when the Solo Strings plays back the Sibelius score?

• Hi Oceanview!

On the Advanced/Controller Map tab you can assign a controller to pitch (normally the pitch wheel). On the Advanced/Options tab you can set the range of the pitch bend range.

Anyway, if you use the Violin 2 patches, you have other samples for your second violin anyway and don't need those pitch bending tricks. As stevetrumpet suggested, you could use your violin 1 presets and replace the violin 1 patches with the according violin 2 patches.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks andi. With pitch = wheel and 200 cents in the pitch-bend the command ~B0,32 bring the pitch back down a semitone which is great. I did however click the learn button - was that necessary? (I found a reference on them forum by someone else who was trying to use pitch bend).

I would like to use this technique with my old playback configurations because I know they work and have additional saved articulations I added, rather than try to change them to VE Strings which I haven't tried yet.

Thanks for this.

• Hi Oceanview!

Of course it's also possible to assign a controller with the learn function by right-clicking on the fader and moving a controller.

You could also replace the patches of the VI presets for the old solo strings sound set with violin 2 patches.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Hello,

are theses new patches available for SE and SE+?

Thank you!

• Hello Vincent!

Sorry to say, that the second violin patches are not available for the Special Edition.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I found out an alternative way to achieve a VI 2 instrument in VEpro 2 retuning the instrument to avoid phasing with the interaction with VI 1.

I am using the Special Edition library for this.

The system works out for me and I am curious to know if Vienna will agree and approve it:

this is how it works:

in VIpro 2 load the SP ED Orchestral Strings/Strings violins matrix.

This is going to be your 2nd Violins after you do the following FOR EVERY SLOT of your matrix violin:

1. in advance view, select the VI-14 staccato slot, select Edit, under Semitone select 2.

2. In Basic view you have to activate if not already visible a Pitch Bend fader.

For that you select an empty channel of the Controller mixer and in the lower square assign "pitch bend" after in the upper square assign "wheel". The fader value must be 0.

remember that this must be done for every single slot in you matrix. Once is done you can save the matrix as your SP ED VI2 personal matrix

Thats it!

Now when you play VI1+VI2 in unison you should not hear any phasing because VI2 has been retuned to play on the next near sample.

PD.:I use this configuration with SIbelius 7 and I don't have to do anything in SIbelius at all to make it work. All The programing is done in VIpro2. Once is done is saved with the VEpro project and you don't have to program it never again.

I hope this was helpful

good luck

• Hi Tomas!

I can approve, that this is a way to avoid using the same sample for first and second violin when they play in unison.

For anyone else interested: This can also be done with the free Vienna Instruments player.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Are you sure Andi that we can do this with the free player?

I don't see the semitone option...

• Ha ok,  i need Vienna Ensemble Pro,  which i don't have.  ;)

• Hi Vincent!

You don't need Vienna Ensemble Pro. In the free Vienna Instruments player the semitone function is called "Transp." and can be found in the Control Edit/Edit Cell menu.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Thanks for your answers andi,  it's very appreciated.

I see the transpose function,  but what i do next?

''For that you select an empty channel of the Controller mixer and in the lower square assign "pitch bend" after in the upper square assign "wheel". The fader value must be 0.''

Can i do this with the free VE?  How do i have to use my sequencer? 

Thank you again,

Vincent

•  Hmmm,  i tought that the technique would permit to play in unison,  on the same note...  I probably need in my sequencer

to play the notes 2 semitones under my desired value,  right?