Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,934 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,951 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• It's faster than before but still much slower than Play v2.1.2

• I have seen a big increase in loading speed from PLAY 2 from PLAY 3. I still like Kontakt more as a player (also because of all the extra routing abilities, settings, lower memory footprint etc.), but I can't complain about PLAY 3's loading from SSD. My template can be up and running within a couple of minutes now.

•  Thanks, Paul, this is great news.

Mahlon

•  Yaaaay![:D] Seems a lot spiffier, too.

Mahlon

• After some more testing I'm still having the same issues as before with my setup (details in my sig). I'm unsure if its specific instrument presets that cause it. I did a clean Play install just to be sure. Created brand new template - same thing. Anyone else with ProTools on Win7 having these issues?

• Same here.. endless loading and if I touch the midi channel in play, it freezes..... 

• I've noticed that some Play patches load lightning fast but some load either extremely slow or will halt to a stop. For example I'll make a ProTools session with 64-bit VEP server on another Win7 x64 machine and load any Bosendorfer grand patch. When reopening the session it'll load for ages and occasionally stop altogether. If, however, I try reopening a session with Yamaha C7 patch in it, it loads VERY fast.

• When, on Mac, it starts to go slow, either you have bad memory stick, either you starts to use VM because you have a lack of physical memory !

I don't know about Windows, this could be something to check

Is the Bosendorfer patch much bigger than the C7 patch ?

Can you look at memory occupation ?

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Bosi is definitely larger, around x2 the size but Yamaha loads in ~ 5 seconds when Bosi can go for 5 min. When loading Bosi directly from Play interface it'll take around 10 sec but when loading previously saved ProTools session it'll either be super slow or get stuck. As I mentioned, some patches are OK and some aren't.

• How much memory is left when you  have loaded your PT session without Play ?

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Did you guys uninstall the previous version of VE Pro first before you installed. Do a clean install, I'm on Win 7 and PT 9 and it loads PLAY and Kontakt as it should now.

• Around 6 GB without Play, ~5.7 with Play. RAM was never an issue here. As suggested, tried complete reinstall of VEP on all machines and still get the same issue.

• is 5.7 Gb  without the piano loaded ?

How much memory left with the bosendorfer loaded ?

With W7, can you monitor memory during the load ?

• last edited
    last edited

@gen0use said:

Bosi is definitely larger, around x2 the size but Yamaha loads in ~ 5 seconds when Bosi can go for 5 min. When loading Bosi directly from Play interface it'll take around 10 sec but when loading previously saved ProTools session it'll either be super slow or get stuck.
    If you are having PT load it, or with any host coupled with VE Pro, that can happen. Have you never found other loading to be significantly slower than loading it in VE Pro first and then connecting; or have you never done decoupled sessions?

• I'm aware of decoupling & proper loading techniques and whatnot. What I'm reporting here is that there is a problem with Play v3.0.15 that wasn't there with Play v2.1.2; recent changes that were made to VEP seem to work only partially.

• I can confirm this behavior.  I tried several of the EW Pianos and they all behave this way.  The Kontakt stuff loads lightning fast, then it gets to Play and it chugs like a snail. 

I'd say it'd take a half hour or more if I waited, but what I've been doing is abort the load, let everything else finish, then once the Cubase project is open simply add the piano to the Play VSTi that is already present in VE Pro. Then it loads at normal speed.

So something is happening with Play 3.0.15 that causes it to load slowly while the project is loading, but can be added afterwards with no problem.

• last edited
    last edited

@CSTeam said:

So something is happening with Play 3.0.15 that causes it to load slowly while the project is loading, but can be added afterwards with no problem.

Yes, a workaround is to load whatever Play sounds are in your project first BEFORE you load your DAW project. Then, the DAW (say, Cubase) project loads lightning fast, even though it loading a separate, new instance. For some reason, separately loaded Play sounds load perfectly fast, and then the in-project instance must be optimized to use the same samples that are already in memory.  That's my theory.

• Yes, after upgrading to 8861 and to PLAY3 to re-test this, I simply can't load any project with preserved and coupled instances containing PLAY.  It takes forever!

It the instance is decoupled then the VEP metaframe can be loaded prior to loading the cubase project and everything seems to work fine. 

I don't know what the hell is with EW and PLAY.  Nothing but problems here....(sigh)

• I have the same thing happen, using EW Play 3.x within 7 preserved, coupled instances of VEP. It's a project I'm developing as a template, so the only samples are those contained in VEP. If I close the project, then re-open it, it still seems to load the samples into Play, though it does seem to do this considerably faster than it would have if I had loaded them from scratch. I though maybe I should decouple, so I did. But it did the same thing. VEP people - this is a minor annoyance, though it does somewhat undermine the utility of having the samples loaded outside LOGIC. Thanks for a great product! Hans Indigo Spencer MAC PRO 8 core - LOGIC 9.x - Play 3.x - VEP, 24 GB RAM

• Same problem here (slow sample loading). Samples usually load super fast from my SSD setup. However, when I re-open (or open) a previously saved project it loads with half the speed of smell. While loading every instance manualy is a workaround it's definitely NOT a solution. Especially when you have a 16+GB project with over 10 PLAY instances.