Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,455 users have contributed to 42,228 threads and 254,803 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• all this depends of how many articulations you are going to load in memory

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • I do realize that Cyril...but since I don't know how much memory each articulation takes up I can't really tell. Looks like you have a pretty big setup as far as RAM goes and probably have no problems. My biggest thing is that it would be nice to just upgrade my OS to 10.6 to be able to utilize all my RAM rather than build a slave PC, of course, IF my Mac Pro will be able to handle all the samples easily. Again, the only reason I was going to build a PC slave is because Hollywood Strings uses a TON of RAM and I guess doesn't work nearly as well on Mac as it does on PC...and since VSL uses so much less memory and is a bit more optimized for Mac (I think)...anyway, those are my concerns David

• last edited
    last edited

@davidl466 said:

I do realize that Cyril...but since I don't know how much memory each articulation takes up I can't really tell. Looks like you have a pretty big setup as far as RAM goes and probably have no problems. My biggest thing is that it would be nice to just upgrade my OS to 10.6 to be able to utilize all my RAM rather than build a slave PC, of course, IF my Mac Pro will be able to handle all the samples easily. Again, the only reason I was going to build a PC slave is because Hollywood Strings uses a TON of RAM and I guess doesn't work nearly as well on Mac as it does on PC...and since VSL uses so much less memory and is a bit more optimized for Mac (I think)...anyway, those are my concerns David

AFAIK OSX has been 64bit since Tiger. In any case, SE can be loaded into around 4GB, so you should have plenty for that.

DG

• In the documentation of each VSL instrument it give you the size of what you are going to load

You can work with VSL in 2 ways

1) you build your orchestra as you are writing your song

2) You have your whole orchestra with all it's articulations loaded into memory and you write your song (my choice)

In case 2 you nead a lot of memory, in my setup I need 28 GB (24 GB of RAM and 4 GB of swap used)

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Yes, good point Cyril, and I agree option 2 would be ideal...just to have it all there if you need it. And in that case, it seems that a slave PC would still be a good idea (with 24GB RAM), especially for adding more articulations or other libraries down the road. Although I must say...I have 10GB RAM right now in my Mac Pro and would probably do pretty well with the SE and SE+ if I just upgraded to 10.6. This would cost $29 for OS 10.6 vs. $1,000 for me to build a slave PC...which would mean I could probably get SE+ because I'd have an extra $1,000 to spend (my budget is about $2,000 right now...Again, I just want to know that my 2.8Ghz 8-core running 10.6 would run pretty smoothly with the Vienna samples. So, Mac Pro upgrade to 10.6 or PC slave?? That is the question. -Bill Shakespeare